email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails missing from inbox

ANKA1
First Timer
Message 5 of 5

Hi.

So i seem to have lost all my recent mail from before 14:00 today, i can see all the old items i had in my trash, but every other folder is completely empty, apart from my inbox from approx 14:00 today. Is there any way to get my emails back as i had lots of important things on there, ive been on the phone with talk talk 7 times over the course of today and i am just hitting my head against a brick wall, no one seems to have any idea on how to help and i just keep getting put on hold! I have changed passwords and made sure that the IMAP settings are all good for the account so if i have been hacked then thats no longer a problem, the question is, am i able to get the emails that are no longer in my inbox back?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5

Hi ANKA1, follow Gondola's advice re the functionality of the mailbox. If you want me to check the account to verify what's happening with payments then please reply to the personal message I've sent to you. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 5

Hi ANKA1 

I suggest you delete the Blocked Senders Filter rule. That particular rule would have been inherited from the former mail platform and is likely to be way out of date and could hide hacker's rules. Deleting it will speed up the operation of the mailbox.

That deletion will not have any effect on the 'missing' mail messages and will make sure that there's no action on mail coming into the Inbox.

If there are now no Filter rules and there's no active Auto forward then the Filter rules page will indicate 'There is no rule defined' and that's then all good.

As for missing a MailPlus payment what happens then is that your mailbox is limited to webmail only access. You'll not be able to collect mail messages other than by signing in to webmail. Missing a payment doesn't delete or hide mail messages.  If the messages are there then you'll see them via webmail. When the mailbox is restored to full access then any mail clients that you use would synchronise to the mailbox folders to mirror exactly what you see in webmail. I don't know why you'd be told that the payment has been missed if the monthly direct debit of £5 is still being made each month on time.

Don't forget that in webmail if you see an inward facing arrow in front of a folder name then the folder contains sub-folders. Select the inward facing arrow to expand to show sub-folders and their mail messages.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

ANKA1
First Timer
Message 3 of 5

Thanks Gondola,

I did as you suggested and checked the filter rules, and other than the blocked users rule, sending emails from certain people into the trash there are none. have scanned the PC using windows defender and found no issues / threats. I do have a sneaky feeling the account has been compromised, as a few weeks ago i logged on and had no emails in inbox, but all my folders were still full so i didn't think much of it, the only thing i don't get is why someone would log into the account to just go and delete everything like that without forwarding on any emails?

I was also told on the phone that it was due to me having not paid the monthly fee for a tiscali account, due a week or so ago, apparently, yet my direct debit has been set up to come out on the 6th every month for a couple of years so maybe it could be that I can see it all again tomorrow?

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 4 of 5

Hi ANKA1 

If all folders are empty apart from recent mail in the Inbox and mail up to a month old in the Trash folder then that does indicate there's been a permanent deletion by someone signed in to the mailbox.

I think you suspect the mailbox was compromised.

Scan your email devices to ensure there's no virus or malware responsible for password capture. 

Apart from moving the last month of mail from Trash to the Inbox there's nothing that TalkTalk can do for you. TalkTalk don't offer a backup service and do advise users to make their own backups of wanted mail messages. 

Sign in to TalkTalk Mail webmail.

Make sure the hacker has not set up a Filter rule, including an Auto forward which is a special filter rule, that's diverting, discarding or blocking mail.

• To check, select the Main Settings menu icon      triple line icon top right on the blue header
    (Mobile browser? use the desktop version)
  • Select Settings from the top of the menu
  • Select the inward facing arrowhead by Mail (or Email) in the left side panel
  • Select Filter Rules
    If there's no rule defined, that's perfect
  • To delete a Filter rule including any Auto forward
    select the Dustbin icon    to the right of the rule
    The icon background will turn red    
  • To confirm you really want to delete this Filter rule
    Select the blue Delete button

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution