email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up talktalk email in thunderbird

fletchwood
Participant
Message 11 of 11

I am attempting to set up my Talk Talk email in Thunderbird on my PC again. It was working up to a week ago when I kept getting a message saying the password was not recognised. I removed the account from T'bird and attempted to set up a new account. I got a message saying T'bird couldn't access the server.

I fail to understand this as the Talk Talk email address and password are correct and work on web mail. The email address  works perfectly on my Gmail client on my phone, together with two Tiscali addresses I have, they work on my phone as well as through T'bird on my PC.

Some help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Hi fletchwood, Gondola won't lead you astray. Any advice given will get you to a fix. The important question is do you have an active TalkTalk Broadband or TalkTalk Mail Plus account. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 11

Hi fletchwood 

Assuming that you are a TalkTalk home broadband customer and the email addresses are shown in an active customer MyAccount then there are two key things to ensure.

Each password is strong, unique to the mailbox and saved for each account in Thunderbird.

IMAP (incoming) and SMTP (outgoing) Server settings are set up manually and checked that they are identical to those I've shown. 

NB An automatic set up will not always give the settings you should use and for a tiscali.co.uk address you would definitely use a manual setup. Use the settings you see in the table I've shown for both talktalk.net and tiscali.co.uk addresses.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 3 of 11

an addition, if I use T'bird to find the correct setting it does'nt find the setting you suggested.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

No, I am starting to pull hair!I set up my talktalk address using the setting you suggested still told password not recognised. When I go back and check account settings it seem to have defaulted   to port 143. If I attempt to send stuff I get the following message - sending of message failed. The message could not be sent because connecting to Outgoing server(SMTP).talktalk.net failed. The server maybe unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify your Outgoing server settings SMTP are correct and try again.

On top of all that mt Tiscali address for My Account is now doing the same thing!

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm thinking of uninstalling T'bird, reinstalling it and tediously setting up my emails again?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

Hi fletchwood, how are you getting on?

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 6 of 11

Hi fletchwood 

Are you back in control? 

We'd appreciate you taking time out to give us your feedback.

Message 7 of 11

Hi fletchwood 

Don't forget to save the new password to overwrite any existing password.

Thunderbird email client settings are:

Account Type  IMAP
User Name Full email address
Password Email password
Incoming mail server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port (IMAP) 993
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Outgoing mail server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS
Authentication Method Normal Password

Message 8 of 11

Changed the password on my talktalkemail, attempted to set it up in T'bird and got the message 'unable to log in at server, probably wrong configuration, username or password' What are the incoming and outgoing port settings in IMAP for talk talk?

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 9 of 11

Hi fletchwood, Gondola has already got this in hand for you. Please let us know how you get on. 

Ady

Gondola
Community Star
Message 10 of 11

Hi fletchwood 

I'm assuming that you are a TalkTalk Consumer customer and that the email address is listed in your customer MyAccount in the Manage TalkTalk Mail, My Mailboxes list. 

I'm asking just to make sure the mailbox hasn't been limited to webmail only access.

What you need to do is upgrade the email password. You may have access with the existing password but if the mail server authentication detects a weak password then sign on authentication will be denied. 

The Reset your password now button in the help article  Changing your email password

will take you to password reset and recovery.  If you have set up password recovery options, that you recognise from the hints as your current recovery methods, you can send your alternate email address a link or your mobile a 6-digit code to authorise a password reset.

If you don't see options then sign in to webmail and you'll see on the main settings menu a menu item 'Update your reset details'. Then you can go back to the Changing your email password help page. 

Thunderbird will save the login for both the incoming and outgoing servers so when you enter the new password remember to save the new password.