email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TalkTalk email address - consequences of leaving TalkTalk

Eddie4419
Conversation Starter
Message 10 of 10

What are the consequences of leaving TalkTalk to go to another ISP? Will my TalkTalk email account still work? If so, will I be charged for using it? 

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Eddie4419
Conversation Starter
Message 1 of 10

Hi Gondola,

Thunderbird seems to be the way to go.

Message 2 of 10

Thunderbird is a traditionally styled email client and you can add both your TalkTalk Mail account and an Outlook.com account if you wish.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Eddie4419
Conversation Starter
Message 3 of 10

Hi Gondola,

Thank you for that explanation. I am now wondering whether an installed email client such as Thunderbird would be better than webmail such as Outlook.  I am at a loss in deciding what would be the best way to go! My understanding is too limited.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 10

Hi Eddie4419 

You'll not need the TalkTalk MyAccount in association with any third party email address / email account. TalkTalk's MyAccount is for managing TalkTalk mailboxes only.

If you wish to create an outlook.com email address then that's at https://outlook.live.com/owa/

Outlook.com is essentially webmail based email and linked apps. 

Here's the advice from Microsoft for adding a TalkTalk email account to outlook.com: Add a third party email address NB this will act as an IMAP email client so you can view your TalkTalk Mail messages in the same app as your new outlook.com email address.

Whilst you're a current TalkTalk customer you'll have full access to your TalkTalk Mail addresses via TalkTalk webmail and IMAP email clients like outlook.com.

Eddie4419
Conversation Starter
Message 5 of 10

Thank you, you have understood me correctly, except I would prefer an Outlook email address as I want to continue using my current email client which is Office Outlook. If I create an email account using Office Outlook with the format of my_name @ outlook.com and using my current password that is used for my TalkTalk email account, do I just need to enter those new details in My Account at TalkTalk for the new email address to work?

Am I right in thinking that Outlook will then continue downloading the "old" TalkTalk emails and start downloading the "new" Outlook emails while I am changing all my contacts to the "new" Outlook email address during the coming weeks?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 10

Hi Eddie4419 

I assume as you don't wish to be tied long term to a TalkTalk Mail talktalk.net email address you're asking about setting up a third party email address like yahoo.com or gmail.com or similar?

Have I understood correctly?

Go to yahoo.co.uk, accept cookies and select Mail then select the Create an account button. Select here.

Go to Google.com and gmail and select the Create an account button. Select here.

Let us know if that's satisfied your needs or if I've entirely misunderstood your request.

Eddie4419
Conversation Starter
Message 7 of 10

Thank you for the replies. I have renewed my contract with TalkTalk but am not keen on being tied to TalkTalk for my email address should I decide to change ISP in the future.  As I have been a customer for 12 years it's going to be a slow process changing my address with hundreds of companies/individuals. I can see where to enter a new email address in My Account, but my question is how do I setup a new email address?

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 8 of 10

Hi Eddie4419, the advice provided by Gondola is spot on. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Gondola
Community Star
Message 9 of 10

Hi Eddie4419 

Leaving TalkTalk and retaining an email address? Always worth giving the TalkTalk Loyalty / Better Value / Retentions team a call to see what the best deal is for you.

LiveChat to TalkTalk Support (excluding contract cancellations) is here:  Our LiveChat team.  Wait for the light blue Chat now button to appear; It's grey or clear when busy or offline.

Opening hours are here:  When to contact TalkTalk?

TIP - Pause tracker blocking in the browser, ad-blockers and similar blocking software to avoid conflict with LiveChat's operation.

Calls to Customer Services Better value contract renewals and cancellations on 0345 172  5157, if you're thinking of leaving, and Future Fibre enquiries on 0345 172 0074 are free from a TalkTalk home 'phone but otherwise are at a standard landline call rate.

For calls to Customer Service agents from a mobile, use 0203 441 5550. TalkTalk supports the Text Relay Service: It's 18001 then 0345 172 0088.

If you do place an order with another supplier and that goes through then upon leaving you'll get an email inviting you to subscribe to TalkTalk MailPlus to retain full email access on your devices for up to five TalkTalk mailboxes. The subscription fee is £5 per month or £50 per year. You'll not be able to subscribe to MailPlus until your TalkTalk broadband service is ceased.

Should you choose not to subscribe you'll be limited to webmail only access and after around 6 months the mailbox will be flagged for deletion thus giving you sufficient time to migrate to another mail service. You'll not be able to take your email address with you when you leave and auto-forwarding will cease when the mailbox is limited to webmail only access.

If you subscribe to TalkTalk MailPlus and then rejoin TalkTalk at some future time and add all your TalkTalk Mail addresses to your new customer MyAccount then the MailPlus billing will automatically cease. The Future Fibre customer MyAccount doesn't currently include the management of TalkTalk Mail but I hope will do so in the coming months.

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help

About TalkTalk Mail Plus

Subscribe to TalkTalk MailPlus

Cancel TalkTalk MailPlus

Let me know if you do need further guidance and I'll do my best to advise.