email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Outlook on an iPhone

volvo3389
Participant
Message 3 of 3

Hi I wonder if someone can assist a non technical talktalk user. I have outlook on my laptop with talktalk emails, I have purchased outlook 365 and as such I want to have talktalk on outlook on my iphone to keep things synced ok I tried in vain today I got as far as inputting the IMAP settings the script is asking for the IMAP incoming email server, which I assume is mail.talktalk.net, then IMAP port I used 993, it then asks for port security options are SSL/STARTTLS / NONE I tried STARTTLS it then wants IMAP username & password is that my email address and corresponding password? the same is repeated for outgoing server I used smtp.talktalk.net the same quivery over port security as above  I input 587, then the same question SMTP username & password is this again my email & password when I click OK I get an error saying SMTP invalid server info

Can anyone help?

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 3

Hi volvo3389, Gondola will get you sorted. Please let us know how you get on. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Gondola
Community Star
Message 2 of 3

Hi volvo3389 

I recommend you use the standard iPhone email app as that will work perfectly and set up as an IMAP account will sync to the mail server and your desktop Outlook.

For clarification, the server host names are both as you have them. No problem there.

The IMAP incoming port is 993 and connection security is SSL/TLS (even though SSL is not actually used... but that's the description used by MS). Yes the IMAP username is the full email address and along with the email password. The outgoing server port is 587 and connection security is StartTls. The SMTP username is the full email address and along with the email password. 

I have to say that I could never get the setup of Outlook for mobile to work. I believe because the app didn't make a direct connection to the TalkTalk Mail servers to validate the setup. I left the app on the phone and somehow the talktalk mail account is now working... but I have no access to server settings to check how it's connecting.

And I've just tried to set up another TalkTalk Mail account and it totally fails to set up giving me a server time-out. So, as far as I'm concerned Outlook for mobile is still a non starter. Hence the recommendation to ditch it in favour of the iPhone email app.

Let me know if you would like a step by step guide to setting up the iPhone email app and I'll post it here.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes