cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre Broadband Keeps Restarting and Phone Crackling

Community Team

Hi tom2453,

DLM changed the line profile earlier today, sync speed is now 47.7Mbps. How has the weather been over the weekend?

Chris

tom2453
Conversation Starter

Hi

I am aware of what the sync speed is at the moment. The router seems to reboot at will when the rain starts indicating that there is a bad joint somewhere.

The telephone line is still hissing and the broadband has been changed to interleaving once again.

When it is dry it seems to be stable but as soon as it rains, which it has done over the last few days, everything becomes unstable.

It is no use BT coming on a dry day to say everything seems to be OK when it is obviously not. You only have to look at the system logs to see how many times it has rebooted which indicates that there is a fault somewhere.

When it rains everything goes and the telephone becomes unusable and doesn't even get a dial tone.

It needs sorting out.

Thanks

Community Team

OK, thanks. I've requested an update from our network team. if you don't hear anything later today can you bump the thread tomorrow and we'll check for updates again

Chris

Community Team

Hi tom2453,

Our network team have confirmed that they'll need to arrange another engineer visit, could you give a couple of dates/time slots when you can be available for the engineer visit, apologies for any inconvenience 

Chris

tom2453
Conversation Starter

Hi

I am available all day tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday afternoon and all day Friday.

If the only days are Wednesday and Thursday I can make myself available in the morning as well.

Thanks.

Community Team

OK, thanks. I've passed on your availability to our network team, we'll let you know when we receive confirmation of the date and time slot booked

Chris

tom2453
Conversation Starter

Hi.

Already had an earlier message from them. Appointment booked for Thursday morning.

Thanks

Community Team

Hi tom2453,

There's no update yet so I'll chase this up with our network team 

Chris

Community Team

Hi tom2453,

I've received confirmation that the engineer visit is booked for Friday 27/07 AM (08:00-13:00) - please let us know how you get on

Chris

tom2453
Conversation Starter

Hi.

Phone engineer has been this morning and of course weather is dry. He has tested what he can and changed the pair all the way back to the exchange. He says that intermittent faults are very hard to find and if I have problems again ask for a broadband engineer as they have more equipment.

At the moment things seem to be OK but it is due to rain tonight so we'll see if there are any problems.

I'll let you know one way or the other.

tom2453
Conversation Starter

Hi.

Saturday morning with a small amount of rain. Router once again rebooted.

When the rain stopped I went outside and had a look at the cable from the junction box, at the front of my house to the point where it enters the house at the side to connect with the master socket, approx 10 meters.I found a small damaged area in the cable where it appears a mouse has gnawed through exposing the inner cables. There have been a lot of mouse droppings in that area over the last few weeks.

The wire was damp so I presume that is what has been causing the problems.

I have put some tape around the cable as a temporary repair until it is fixed properly.

The previous BT engineers didn't check the cable for any damage. They seemed to rely on their equipment only which didn't show any faults as it was dry.

Community Team

Hi Tom

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've passed your comments over to our Network Team and requested that this is passed back to BT Openreach.

I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Tom

Our Network Team have advised that they have contacted you to arrange an engineer visit for 01/08/2018 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

tom2453
Conversation Starter

Hi.

Openreach engineer arrived nice and early. He saw the damage to the cable and replaced it with a new one. He said the original was the wrong type of cable anyway.

The connection has been stable since then and all ok at the moment.

Time will tell.

Thanks.

Community Team

Hi tom2453,

Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear that the fault has been resolved 🙂

Thanks