Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre has become very slow, help please

23 REPLIES
Highlighted
jaheni
Conversation Starter

Hi

1. Again my fibre medium has become slow running normally between 5-8meg speed. I tried the usual stuff restarting, checking wires etc.this below is what I see on the modem. My usual speed has been between 20-24meg speed! What might have happened? 

Line Quality

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Downstream interleave depth:

Community Team

Hi jaheni,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Is the voice service ok? Are you experiencing any noise on the line?

Thanks

jaheni
Conversation Starter

Hi, Michelle

No noise I'm aware of. Voice calls work fine. But the speed drop too much for fibre. I lm sure I even have the latest firmware on my modem too. But if there's one streaming something like BBC I player it cant cope much with other users.

Wonder why the line rate is 15000....

Community Team

Hi jaheni,

Thanks for confirming this. Does your master socket have a test socket? If it does have a test socket then would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket so we can see how the connection stats compare?

Thanks

jaheni
Conversation Starter

Hi master socket is ok. Im afraid speed still no acceptable for fibre. Yesterday was about 13meg. we had it over 20 before!

Why is the line speed 15000... has the download speed been restricted somehow by Openreach?

Thanks

Community Team

Hi jaheni,

Yes, the line management system (DLM) has restriceted your sync speed to 15Mbps, which is within the predicted range for your line. DLM moves you to a slower profile because the connection is unstable on faster profiles and/or the error count is high.

If the connection remains stable with a low error count then DLM should move you to a faster profile 

Chris

jaheni
Conversation Starter

Thanks for the reply.

The speed was much better before. This is really slow speed for fibre! I have no idea where errors could come from - Openreach installed a new wire and socket last year and the router should have the latest firmware. My speed is average from 5-13mb the past few days.

To compare this is BT's own prediction for my address, which should be accurate +/- 2mb.

Fibre broadband

Download Speed:

26Mb-38Mb

Estimated download speed range*

Minimum Speed:

22Mb
Community Team

Hi jaheni,

I've re-checked the connection stats and the sync speed hasn't increased since our last post. Do you have an alternative router that you could test with to see how the sync speed compares?

Thanks

jaheni
Conversation Starter

Hi. Ive been looking for, but not able to find another fibre router Im afraid! :(

Community Team

Hi jaheni

I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

jaheni
Conversation Starter

Dear Debbie

I managed to find another fibre router to trial, but both were hitting about 12 mb download speeds last night.

Not very happy bunny as this is more like normal broadband speed, not fibre Im paying for

:(

Community Team

Hi jaheni,

Thanks for trying this. Is the alternative router still connected at the moment as it can take DLM between 24-48hrs to make changes to the speed if the connection remains stable and the errored seconds are low?

Thanks

jaheni
Conversation Starter

Hi. I have used another router for few days now, and unfortunately the speeds are very similar. So it wont be a router issue.

The BT box and wiring are new as the Openreach replaced them all last year.

Is there anything else that can be done? Would moving to faster fibre help?  Please!!

Community Team

Hi jaheni

Does your master socket have a test socket? Your master socket

Thanks

Debbie

jaheni
Conversation Starter

Yes it does, its the latest type BT socket. Did try the test socket earlier but it didnt make any difference Im afraid. We have no internal phone wiring, no extensions wires. Just one main BT socket and the router is connected directly into it.

Community Team

Hi jaheni

Thanks for your reply.

It would be worth leaving the router connected at the test socket for at least 48hrs whilst BT's DLM is monitoring the connection.

Sometimes the face plate can become faulty and this would rule out any issues with the face plate.

Thanks

Debbie

jaheni
Conversation Starter

Hi. Ok Ive had about 4 days connected TalkTalk router directly to the test socket. Tried with two different routers and no improvement on speeds. Instead it dropped to very slow 5-7mb speeds at times.

I have no clue why it is so slow. Since we moved to the house we've had speeds over 4x time that! 

Looking at the website with speeds in my area, I have couple neighbours that do get over 20meg speeds on Talktalk. So assume something is not quite right with us...

Help!!! :(

Community Team

Hi jaheni

Your line is now showing in sync at 20mb.

The predicted speed range for your line is showing between 25mb and 10mb with a guaranteed minimum speed of 7.1mb.

Are you running the speed tests when connected wired or wireless?

Thanks

Debbie

jaheni
Conversation Starter

Both Wired and Wirless speed tests, no real difference between those two. Are there any other types or routers I could try? I think I have the standard one sent with the fibre deal.

At moment even with fibre connection, being slow, the connection drops too much or buffering and slow website loadings. 

My 18month contract is up next month,,, really thinking of switching. It would be sad as Ive been with Talktalk since the begininng in 2003! :/

Community Team

Hi jaheni

Are you currently using the HG633 or DSL3782 router?

Thanks

Debbie