Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

HP Instant ink

12 REPLIES 12
davep
Enlightened One

I bought an HP 2632 All in one Printer.  It was very cheap!  (£18 after cashback from AO).  It has also worked very well when I have used it.

It came with the instant ink offer which I haven't yet taken up.  Has anyone used this, is it good and should I take it?  We don't print much (probably 1 or 2 a month except Xmas) so the printer will be unplugged most of the time.  Will this adversely affect my instant ink contract?  There is a free up to 15 pages a month which seems attractive if it works.   We have another rarely used Epson and got the HP for copying and scanning.  It has probably paid for itself in saved petrol to the library already.   Any information or advice welcome.

Thanks

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Dave

If you are a very low user then the free pages each month would suit you nicely.  You'll get reminders by email to connect your printer online to your Instant Ink account just so that HP can track your usage. So just switch the printer on once a month to keep the account up to date. That's all you need to do.

You'll get replacement ink cartridges in the post ready for when you need them.

Gondola - Community support team *

To appreciate my support  . . .  If I helped with a solution Best Answer

davep
Enlightened One

Thanks for the reply.   It seems rather too good to be true and decidedly cheaper than the Epson!  I presume you use the instant ink and it works, so may give it a go.   I have this reluctance to give my details to big companies such as HP, especially when credit card details are likely to be stored.

I've had the printer 3 months and it hasn't been used much except for scanning / printing some docs recently .  It has an annoying habit of printing a test / alignment check when switched on, which will drink ink, but not sure how exactly to stop it - I have read some advice pages but not sure I can avoid it if I unplug it as opposed to letting it sleep.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @davep

I use the HP Instant Ink £1.99 a month for 50 pages. They take the amount each month by credit card and that's not been a problem at all. You'll get the email reminders each month to put your printer online.  But there's no problem if you miss some months.

The replacement Instant Ink cartridges supplied are high capacity ones. You'll get a set fairly soon after signing up as the ones supplied with the factory boxed printer are low capacity.

Yes, the start up test does squirt some ink out and you'll use ink in cleaning nozzles that will inevitably get blocked on a low-usage pattern. So factor in some pages used up to print test pages.

davep
Enlightened One

@Gondola thanks again.  It is reassuring, so I think I'll give it a go.  I read a MSE forum topic and most seemed to have a code which people could use to get extra months free.  If you have one of these codes and I go through the application, I would be happy to use it.  Maybe though it would be better to use a code from someone with a higher usage and ask them to share the savings with you!

I am going to try to avoid the test page by not having paper in the tray!

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Dave

Just logged in to my HP Instant Ink account and it says this link will give us both a month free service: http://try.hpinstantink.com/dWVCg

You're welcome to use the link. When I first signed up they gave me 3 months free 50 pages per month so you may get an option for that. You ought to be able to cancel that or downgrade to the free 15 page option.

davep
Enlightened One

I will use your link and let you know if I go ahead.  There is apparently another code, FREEINK, giving a further 1 month free.  Not sure if that's both new and old customers.  From Money saving expert.com

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5524871&page=25#topofpage

Gondola
Community Star

Hi davep

I've not used any codes before but the MSE contributors do seem to imply that if you go through the referral link you'll be able to use the FREEINK code as well.  Worth a try.  Fill your boots during a trial period as HP do seem to be very generous on trial period printing quantities and any unused can be rolled forward a month during the trial.

davep
Enlightened One

Having read more topics about this, it seems people are not happy that when they cancel thier contracts, HP stops the usage of any remaining ink they have.  It seems there may be ways round it, but not sure I would understand them!  That included someone who was still using the original ink which came with the printer (probably uses it as much as I do!)  I suppose if I take out the free one it won't affect me as I can keep it rolling, and use the Epson if I get near to 15.  I suppose I have nothing to lose.  I still have certain phobias about third parties having access and in this case control over my equipment.

I will let you know.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Dave

It seems fair that any Instant Ink cartridges supplied in advance of printer ink running out do have to be returned to HP.  As always, the Terms & Conditions do tell you what you need to know.

The printer itself will continue working on standard cartridges if you choose to cancel the Instant Ink account. I don't see that as a problem.

The free low-use Instant Ink seems to be a no brainer. You don't pay anything for the ink so you just keep it going for as long as the printer lasts and your low-use needs continue.

davep
Enlightened One

From terms:

You may not accumulate free months from promotion codes for a future upgrade from the 15-Free Program.

I'm having problems due to being on US site, despite using link from you.

davep
Enlightened One

I'm afraid I didn't get you the free month.  I had an HP account registered in the US - I probably didn't change the country when I opened it - and ended up phoning their support line and spending around 40 min getting it sorted out.  The guy asked for my password!. He didn't get it but somehow or other managed to sort it but couldn't get your extra month.  There was a code to get a further 2 free months, but as I'm not paying it doesn't matter.  I should maybe have taken out a paying account but I don't think you can downgrade from that to the free one though I may have misread about that.

Thanks again for your information and sorry I couldn't get you the bonus.  With the time it took I must admit at an hourly rate I could probably have bought enough ink to see me or the printer out!

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Dave

No worries. It makes sense that they're not going to give out free months on a free service.

When I originally signed up I got a free 3 months trial of 300 pages per month and that was before having to commit to continue on any of the paid-for packages.