Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

PowerLine but which one?

12 REPLIES 12
Pash02
Super Duper Contributor

Which powerline would be good for an Xbox, TV box and maybe the smart tv all upstairs in my sons room.

He does stream films etc.

The max length of cable from the powerline to devices will be 2mtrs

There is also a smart TV and a google home mini which can be just wifi

Our BB is fibre 76mb

No phone sockets upstairs.

All internet devices down stairs are wired to the router.

I have found these two and now i don’t have a clue on which one and why is one nearly double in price?

I have asked on another forum but thought I would ask on here since it is TT related.

Thanks.

This one £96

Or 

This one £54

ferguson
Community Star

Powerline adapters are only as good as the electrical wiring in your home will allow them to be. If I was starting out I would try the cheapest set with decent ratings. Doubling the price is unlikely to double the performance. Bear in mind that the bandwidth specification generally far exceeds anything that the TalkTalk network can currently supply. Good luck and let us know how you get on. 

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Pash02 

Or this one: TalkTalk Wi-Fi extender.

The TalkTalk device has one Ethernet port and a dual band Wi-Fi network for wire-free connection of Wi-Fi devices. To get a 35% TalkTalk customer discount on the normal £85 price, please enter the following discount code on the checkout page: EXTENDTT18

Wi-Fi Extender PLA Products.png

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Pash02
Super Duper Contributor
We already have the TT one.
My son had lots of devices in his room so want a better one with more connect ions also.
From the spec's of the TT one I guess the £95 power line will be the next step with it 2000mbps thing as the £54 one is only slightly better spec than the TT one I think.
Thanks

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Pash02 

The Powerline Adaptors (PLA's) you've indicated have 2 Ethernet ports. Your son will be able to connect up just 2 wired devices.  More devices to wire up means getting an Ethernet switch in addition to the PLA.

Pash02
Super Duper Contributor
I might be wrong with my conclusion though
Pash02
Super Duper Contributor

I am so glad i asked on here as @Gondola has mentioned the wifi extender kit 

I have just realised what it does so i dont think i need the Powerline now (money saved phew)  

Please say i am correct 🙂 wifi.png

this is an old photo and the cable is NOT like that now 

Thanks everyone 

Gondola
Community Star

...Nice one Pash02 

Always nice to find a money-saving solution and even better when it's a better way of using what you've got.

The Wi-Fi extender has one Ethernet port for a wired device and 2 Wi-Fi networks to connect devices without wires. Use the 5GHz network for the higher speed / bandwidth requirements like video downloads / streaming. But there's also the 2GHz network as well.

Pash02
Super Duper Contributor
@Gondola does the wifi entender alternate between the to networks or can it be set to say 5 Ghz?
thanks again
Gondola
Community Star

...Just as you can with the TalkTalk router you can give each Wi-Fi network different names (SSID's).  This enables your son to decide which is the optimum network to use with each device and to share out the use between the 2 networks.

I'd suggest giving the Wi-Fi networks offered by the Wi-Fi extender different names to the networks used at your router. For the 2GHz network it's useful to use a wireless network analyser or app to find the least used Wi-Fi channel(s) and set the primary channel to one that your own router is not using.

For example, if your router is using channel 1 (and 20MHz bandwidth) then set the Wi-Fi extender to use channel 11 (subject to what other homes around you have set their Wi-Fi networks to use.)

Pash02
Super Duper Contributor
Would this be done in the router's admin settings if so how?
I am having some issues with the routers network listing.
I have started a new post on this in the fibre section so i dont get them confused.
Thanks
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Pash02 

Split your router's SSID (wireless network name) is the article you need for setting router SSID's to be unique to each band. It's similar for the Wi-Fi adaptor.

Wi-Fi Extender Kit guide will guide you to set up the PowerLine Adaptors (PLA's) to clone the Wi-Fi networks from the router. Which is ok so long as there's no mutual interference. But I prefer to use completely separate SSID's so long as there are channels available to use. The prime channels to select in the 2.4GHz band are 1 or 6 or 11 as most routers will be set up to use those to minimise mutual interference from overlapping channels.

Pash02
Super Duper Contributor
Ooo I have already done all that but I run off channel 48 for 5ghz and Ch 7 for 2.4 GHz as these two channels have less traffic on them or something like that according to the WiFi analyser app that some one told me to use from a previous post on here.
Today's turning out to be a good day for me after posting on here.
Thanks again