cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Username & Password for Fibre Modem (PPoE)

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

We have a new Router that supports fibre directly.

Setting it up with the BTOR Modem into the WAN port and it works fine. (TalkTalk Fibre Medium - FTTC)

Now plugging the fibre (actually the copper phone lead) into the Router, configuting the router to force VDSL2 and add a VLAN Tag of 101 - and the status page gives "SHOWTIME" and 38M Down and 2M up - so all good.

But it will not log-in (status page shows PPP Login Error with a wrong username or password)

We have tried;

No username or password

Username in either 01234567890@talktalk.net  or just 0123456789 format with no password

Username in either 01234567890@talktalk.net  or just 0123456789 format with a password

The password has been reset in the TalkTalk "my account" web site.

HELP !!!

FYI: the box is a Draytek 2860n [which supposidly fully supports BT Openreach FTTC - bourne out by the fact we get to "SHOWTIME"]

Highlighted
Philosopher
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

So, we have it working - I'll post a full step-by-step solution later - internet access only though - and LinearIPTV is not working! - this needs the Multi PVC Lan setting correctly.

But again, the total lack of any TalkTalk configuration guide for anything than bog-standard ADSL (non-IPTV) means that trying to figure out the settings is nigh on impossible.......

Over to the community to help....

Paul

Highlighted
First Timer

I faced the same issue on this, wanting to keep my Zyxel Router, and use the BT modem.

The answer is simple - You no longer need PPPoE, set your router to use DHCP only, it'll then work straight away. You dont need to configure VLANs either.

On BT Infinity the following happens:

Router dials PPP through the modem, modem connects and voila

On talk talk the following happens:

Modem connects to TT without needing to 'dial' (you'll note that the modem connected light is always on), router gets IP address via DHCP through the modem.

I was stuck trying to get PPPoE working and it was sometimes working and sometimes not, the reason was that it was unneccesary.

Tags for search: BT modem, Zyxel, USG40, USG, Zywall, TalkTalk, BT Infinity

Highlighted
First Timer

I faced the same issue on this, wanting to keep my Zyxel Router, and use the BT modem.

The answer is simple - You no longer need PPPoE, set your router to use DHCP only, it'll then work straight away. You dont need to configure VLANs either.

On BT Infinity the following happens:

Router dials PPP through the modem, modem connects and voila

On talk talk the following happens:

Modem connects to TT without needing to 'dial' (you'll note that the modem connected light is always on), router gets IP address via DHCP through the modem.

I was stuck trying to get PPPoE working and it was sometimes working and sometimes not, the reason was that it was unneccesary.

Tags for search: BT modem, Zyxel, USG40, USG, Zywall, TalkTalk, BT Infinity

Highlighted
Chatterbox

How did you get internet to work please? I'm having the same issue

@simmondp wrote:

So, we have it working - I'll post a full step-by-step solution later - internet access only though - and LinearIPTV is not working! - this needs the Multi PVC Lan setting correctly.

But again, the total lack of any TalkTalk configuration guide for anything than bog-standard ADSL (non-IPTV) means that trying to figure out the settings is nigh on impossible.......

Over to the community to help....

Paul

Highlighted
Chatterbox
I have done exactly that. I can see the physical line has connection but I can't seem to get internet. May be it's the log in details. What did u put down in the end. Phone_number@talktalk.net And follow by password?
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

If you're on fibre you should not need either a username of password.

Try this; (you may need to register)

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-isp-talktalk#vigor-vdsl2-routers

Highlighted
Chatterbox
Thanks

I figured out finally. As u said. No login or password required.

I read somewhere that talktalk might filter access via mac address. So I tried putting in the Mac address of the talktalk router they sent, into my own router and that worked!!

Very sneaky of them to do it that way and none of the talktalk technical support know anything other than "pls use talktalk router"
Highlighted
First Timer

hi where did you find the mac and where would you put this in your new router? thank you in advance

Highlighted
First Timer

DrayTek 2860 VDSL2 Setup with TalkTalk.
hi i have followed your instructions however still not able to connect to the talktalk internet.
1. connected the phone line cable to the vdsl port of the dartek
2. inputed all the settings suggested
3. reset reboot dratek
4. waited 5 minute failed to connect.

any suggestions welcome. screen shots would be great
5. if using wan2 port do i connect the talktalk router rj45 port to the rj45 port of the draytek? sorry im a novice

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

So ignore the supplied TT Router - just keep it safe in case TT Support ever need to see a "real" TT Router!

Plug the phone/data connection into the VDSL port on the Draytek.

Attached are the screen-shots of my settings.Draytek Settings VDSL#1.jpgDraytek Settings VDSL#2.jpg

HTH