Did you mean: 
Need help?

BBC One Christmas film 2017 : The Supporting Act

1 REPLY
Highlighted
Gondola
Community Star

BBC Christmas 2017.pngBBC One Christmas film 2017 : The Supporting Act

What do you look forward to at your family get together? Opening presents, the family meal or watching / snoozing through a favourite film like Love Actually (2003), The Sound of Music (1965) or It's a Wonderful Life (1946)?  Quite a few of you look forward to the bits between the programmes like the John Lewis advert or the Debenhams show reel or the supermarket adverts showing families and groups of us sharing and enjoying seasonal goodwill. My top two this year are the M&S one with Paddington and also Waitrose at Tan Hill - Yorkshire has a magical attraction for me at Christmas and I still remember Sainsburys filming at Halton Gill a tiny hidden gem in the Dales. 1

The broadcasters get creative too with the inter-programme gaps and here's a beautifully animated story-line from the BBC. As an early Christmas present it's the one I like best. BBC One's Christmas film illustrates the joy that can be sparked through a shared moment. Through its depiction of a busy dad and dance-loving daughter, the film draws on the insight that the pressures of life can often get in the way of the things that really matter, particularly at Christmas.

The Supporting Act is BBC Creative’s first BBC One Christmas campaign and features a soundtrack provided by Clean Bandit featuring Zara Larsson with Symphony, specially re-arranged by the award-winning producer Steve Mac.  The creation of the film has also broken new ground in the animation techniques it has used. The characters were animated using the traditional British stop-motion technique but the facial expressions were created and mapped on the puppets using CGI. This approach gave the film the human touch and imperfections of stop motion but the emotional richness of CGI.
Thanks to BBC Creative

(1 no endorsement of any trade names intended)

Gondola - Community support team *

To appreciate my support  . . .  If I helped with a solution Best Answer

Gondola
Community Star

Well done to BBC Creative - This amazing animation has won BBC Creative their first Cannes Lion in Film Craft. Gold for Animation, Silver for Direction.

June 2018

Gondola - Community support team *

To appreciate my support  . . .  If I helped with a solution Best Answer