Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Great speed poor Wi-Fi speed.

71 REPLIES 71
Chippy_Tea_
Wizz Kid

I am impressed with my speed test as my minimum was guarenteed to be 35Mbps but it looks like i am in the same position as many here using Wi-Fi, i have tested the Wi-Fi with several different devices and they are all showiing roughly the same speed.

Test using Ethernet cable.

WIRED.JPG

Test Wi-Fi -

222222.JPG

I posted this last night and was told it was  a poor review but i am experiencing the Wi-Fi problem highlighted in the review my HG633 is approximitly 3 years old so could i request another to see if it is the problem.

By April 5, 2017.

In addition, it becomes evident the Wi-Fi tech used here is fairly basic, despite its use of dual-band (5GHz and 2.4GHz) and the latest AC Wi-Fi standard. In tests this router came a distant last, although I reiterate that some other ISP-provided routers will perform just as poorly.

Using the 5GHz band, this router maxed out at just 21.3MB/sec, which compares to 60.1MB/sec for the next slowest AC router I’ve tested. In our two further tests the router managed 9.3MB/sec (5m away, with two walls between the router and the Wi-Fi receiver) and 9.6MB/sec (7m away, with two walls in between and a floor down). Again, these figures are dwarfed by the next worst on test, which managed 37.8MB/sec and 13.5MB/sec.

Moving to the generally slower 2.4GHz band and the difference is more modest, as even the fastest routers can only hit around 20MB/sec. Nonetheless, the HG633 managed only 7.6MB/sec, 6.2MB/sec and 4.7MB/sec; the next worst recorded 11.9MB/sec, 7.8MB/sec and 6.8MB/sec.

These figures pale even in comparison to other ISP-provided routers, with the likes of the BT Home Hub 5 hitting 50MB/sec+ in our AC tests. In fact, even the old TalkTalk Super Router, the HG635, performed reasonably well, so it’s clear just how inadequate the HG633 is. Moreover, if you go out and spend £50-£100 on a third-party router you’re likely to benefit from a huge leap in performance.

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/talktalk-hg633-super-router#40Pc4LYmUdedxkE5.99

Community Team

Hi Chippy_Tea_

Have you tested different wireless channels?

@KeithFrench provides really good advice in regards to improving wireless performance.

Thanks

Debbie

Chippy_Tea_
Wizz Kid

I havent tried different channels, i have wi-fi analyzer on my phone and its not showing congestion but i will give it a try, my worry now is i have run the speed tests below on using Ethernet and as you can see i am getting hugely different results. 

SOM.JPGvvvvv.JPG1504698914223677155-mini.png

Community Team

Hi Chippy_Tea_

It would be worth powering down your router for 30 minutes and then running a wired speed test following this.

Thanks

Debbie

Chippy_Tea_
Wizz Kid

I tried it on channel 48 and 44 as your TT guide suggests and there is no improvement both tests were roughly the same - 24 ping - 18.71 down - 9.24 up.

http://help.talktalk.co.uk/guided-assist/how-do-i-change-my-wireless-channel/huawei-hg633-super-rout...

Chippy_Tea_
Wizz Kid

It would be worth powering down your router for 30 minutes and then running a wired speed test following this.

OK i will do that now.

Community Team

Hi Chippy_Tea_

Thank you, please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

Chippy_Tea_
Wizz Kid

A slight improvement on the wi-fi - 25 ping - 22.47 down - 9.28 up (Mbps)

The speed tests for my PC using Ethernet are still all over the place - 

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.pngxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.JPGssss.JPG

router.JPG

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @Chippy_Tea_

Debbie has asked me to help you. It is very difficult to say what the maximum Wi-Fi speed is on the HG633, as no specifications have ever been made public. The speed you will receive is also based on the distance from the router, the signal strength, WiFi interference, the sort of walls the signal travel through, plus any reflections of that signal that could cancel it out. Then do not forget the router is only part of the story, your network adapters are also very critical in this. I read that most of yours give pretty much the same speed, which probably rules them out. With no specs to go on, baselining this is difficult.

Have you renamed your two SSIDs (network names) o identify which devices are connected to which band?

If you want to share screenshots from your WiFi analyser, then I will check them for you.

Chippy_Tea_
Wizz Kid

Thenks for your help, Could you explain how i rename 2.4 and 5 as i cannot seem to find how i change them, i have taken screenshots of the analizer.

I am ROTARY11 -

11111111111111111.JPG2222222222.JPG

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @Chippy_Tea_

Thanks for those, the 5GHz one looks fine, but the 2.4Ghz is very congested. It would also be useful to see the signal strength/time graphs from the "Time Graph" display on that analyser.

It is very uncommon to see the 2.4G band where everyone is at least obeying the channel 1, 6 & 11 rule.

The main thing with your 2.4Ghz band is that there is no adjacent channel interference & so long as your signal is at least 20dB higher than the others on channel 1, then you shouldn't suffer too much from co-channel interference. Monitor it at other times of the day, as channel 11 might be better, if other networks get stronger at night reducing the separation on channel 1.

You currently have both SSIDs set to Rotary 1 as you said, you could change them to something like:-

Rotary1

Rotary15G

To do this log on to the HG633 & go to:-

"Customise my wireless network"

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "Wireless 5 GHz SSID" field. Then click "Save".

Chippy_Tea_
Wizz Kid

Thanks Keith i have now changed the SSID and here is the info you requested - 

tttttttt.JPG

KeithFrench
Community Star

It looks as if you have renamed them both to Rotary11, rather than separating them out with 5G on the end of the 5G SSID. Could you rename them & run this for about 5 mins before taking the screenshot (sorry forgot to ask you do that earlier)?

Chippy_Tea_
Wizz Kid

I have now tested both 2.4 and 5GHz and i am seeing hardly any difference  they are both around 18 Mbps down and 8.5 Mbps up, i was getting 12 Mbps on ADSL so am now paying extra for 6 Mbps, if there is nothing else to try (other than a new router) i would like to thank you for your help and could  you please hand this back to Debbie as i think the only option left is trying a new router.

Chippy_Tea_
Wizz Kid

I did rename both, i am re-running the teast now. :thumbsup:

Chippy_Tea_
Wizz Kid

Here is the tresult - 

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.JPG

Chippy_Tea_
Wizz Kid

Many speed tests later and i have decided 5 GHz is fastest for me but its still maxing out at 21Mbps this is only 7 Mbps faster than my ADSL connection was not exactly what i was expecting,  my wired connnection is a solid 37Mbps which i am happy with, would it be worth trying a replacement router?

KeithFrench
Community Star

You're never going to be very fast on a quite congested 2.4GHz band like yours. The next thing is to consider the place where the router is situated. Roughly where in the house is it & where in relation to this are your devices you are testing with? Is the router near anything like a TV, speakers, DECT phone etc?

One other point how many devices do you have connected to each band & what WiFi mode do they support (e.g. 802.11b/g/n/ac). I'm sure it is not the case, but are any of these transmitting/receiving data (including the wired connections) whilst you carry out a wireless speed test?

Chippy_Tea_
Wizz Kid

I have been testing mainly on 5Ghz as it was a little faster and sat on the sofa next to the router  there as i have shown is no congestion for me on 5 GHz and i still cannot get above 21 Mbps, i have been doing a little searching and have found 20 Mbps seems to be where most people complaining are stuck,  here are some quotes from one thread discussing this problem there are lots more. 

I've been having problems with the router since I first got it. Over ethernet there is no problem, but the WiFi is terrible.

Both my son's phone and mine will not work over WiFi, both are different makes so it's not a problem with the phone. 

We are lucky to get 20mbps down over wifi when will easily get 40mbps over ethernet.

My father had the same router but replaced his with a Draytek unit and now miraculously he gets WiFi all over his house at twice the speed of the TalkTalk router.

When are TalkTalk going to acknowledge that there is a serious problem with the routers?

---------------

My HG633 seems incapable of a download throughput on WiFi of anything more that the high 20's
It has been like this since the day it was installed

-------------

I get around the 20 Mbps myself, and it's frustrating to even watch a 720p YouTube video, let alone a 480p one aha - WiFi is just terrible with this new "Super" Router.

-------------

I currently have a HG633 router with firmware versions V1.22t.  My download speed varies from 8 to 20Mbps when connected wirelessly.

------------

I have had to turn my router off again this morning for 45 mins as the connection speed was very slow.  On running a speed test using supportal-test.co.uk after turning back on the download speed was 5.46Mbps and upload was 3.69Mbps.  The best that I ever get is arround 20Mbps on a line where i was informed that i could get about 35Mbps.

----------

I could quote pages of these type of posts customer have even bought their own routers which fixed the problem, i do not have a spare £100 so where do we go from here?

I refer back to my OP and reference to the router review below which said -

Using the 5GHz band, this router maxed out at just 21.3MB/sec and

Moving to the generally slower 2.4GHz band and the difference is more modest, as even the fastest routers can only hit around 20MB/sec.

It is too much of a coincedence so many customers are seeing high speed over Ethernet and low speed when using wi-fi  (stuck at 20 Mbps) as i said last night i will be happy to be proved wrong 

By April 5, 2017.

In addition, it becomes evident the Wi-Fi tech used here is fairly basic, despite its use of dual-band (5GHz and 2.4GHz) and the latest AC Wi-Fi standard. In tests this router came a distant last, although I reiterate that some other ISP-provided routers will perform just as poorly.

Using the 5GHz band, this router maxed out at just 21.3MB/sec, which compares to 60.1MB/sec for the next slowest AC router I’ve tested. In our two further tests the router managed 9.3MB/sec (5m away, with two walls between the router and the Wi-Fi receiver) and 9.6MB/sec (7m away, with two walls in between and a floor down). Again, these figures are dwarfed by the next worst on test, which managed 37.8MB/sec and 13.5MB/sec.

Moving to the generally slower 2.4GHz band and the difference is more modest, as even the fastest routers can only hit around 20MB/sec. Nonetheless, the HG633 managed only 7.6MB/sec, 6.2MB/sec and 4.7MB/sec; the next worst recorded 11.9MB/sec, 7.8MB/sec and 6.8MB/sec.

These figures pale even in comparison to other ISP-provided routers, with the likes of the BT Home Hub 5 hitting 50MB/sec+ in our AC tests. In fact, even the old TalkTalk Super Router, the HG635, performed reasonably well, so it’s clear just how inadequate the HG633 is. Moreover, if you go out and spend £50-£100 on a third-party router you’re likely to benefit from a huge leap in performance.

KeithFrench
Community Star

I have just heard from another Community Star and his HG633 Wi-Fi download speed over fibre medium is 33M & somone else 38M, disproving the report you have now quoted twice & I have read twice. You have to also consider the firmware version that this report was conducted on.

I will read the rest of your last post tomorrow & get back to you then.