NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with TalkTalk just Feeding my Paranoia

Beresford7211
Team Player
Message 19 of 19

I joined TalkTalk fast broadband in April 2018.

Go Live Day’ arrived and so did the guy from Open Reach . . . only the router didn’t arrived until five days later – following a few phone calls. Never did receive the £20 default compensation payment though.

The welcome pack letter offered a blistering estimated download speed between 7.9Mbps and 4.4Mbps. With a guaranteed minimum download speed of 4.4Mbps.

The speed I actually got was 0.84Mbps.

A few calls to TalkTalk offered up a statement that it would take up to 16 days for the new connection to ‘bed in’ but should improve over time. Just long enough to take any optimistic individual beyond the 20 day ‘cooling off’ period.

My download speed has only recently become stable at 2.6Mbps.

When I check my TalkTalk account online it shows a guaranteed download speed of 3.4Mbps ?

I would really like to know when this changed and why it’s so much lower than that stated in the Welcome Documentation. Therein lies a paradox which needs to be clarified in court.

I've had three visits from Open Reach engineers and countless calls to the TalkTalk Tech Support and the only increase I’ve had are in so-called 'silent calls'.

Right now I’m dialling back my paranoia while waiting for TalkTalk to ship a ‘new’ router.

Meantime I’ve found great support in the TalkTalk Community, especially KeithFrench (Community Star).

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18

Message 1 of 19

I can only see the error count for the last 6 days. I can see that the error count was very high on those two particular days so I asked the question. I can't see data for April so I don't know what the error count was then and what was causing any slow speeds at the time.

DLM moved you to a slower profile because of the high error count which seems to have been the result of noise/interference on the line so we really need to look at this first

Could you confirm if your master socket have a Test Socket? If it has, is you router currently connected to it?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 19
Hi Chris,

Quote from previous post:
"Do you have any electrical devices just on in the afternoon (Christmas tree lights are notorious for causing interference)?"

I hope that was a purely rhetorical question . . . or is it TalkTalk being facetious?
My issue with the SLOW download speed has been ongoing since the "Go Live" date (25.04.2018).

Obviously TalkTalk are incapable of resolving the issue and are unable to provide a guaranteed minimum download speed.

You are merely going round in circles . . . try reading earlier posts.

I did not have Christmas tree lights ON in April . . . and I still don't have any Christmas tree lights ON now.
0 Likes

Message 3 of 19

DLM changed your profile in the early hours of the 30th and then again (following the high errors on the 30th and 31st) in the early hours of the 1st. It does look as though something was causing interference on Sunday and Monday afternoon. I think any drop in throughput speed on the 30th and 31st was probably due to high errors rather than sync speed change. 

Do you have any electrical devices just on in the afternoon (Christmas tree lights are notorious for causing interference)?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 19
Hi Chris,
The only thing I can see were DLM adjustments to the Sync speed during that period.
See above post (11 of 15): OCE_Michelle Community Team.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 19

Hi Beresford7211,

DLM lowered your profile because there were two periods of very high errors on the late morning/afternoon of the 30th and 31st due to your SNR dropping. Can you think of anything in your home that could have caused noise/interference on the line at around 11am-4pm on the 30th and 31st?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 19

Now TalkTalk really are beginning to take the *@#][!![]'#[@#]!*.

I've just done another speed test and download speed is back to 2.6Mbps.

The so called improvement only lasted 48hrs!

Obviously TalkTalk are incapable on delivering on anything.

I think all my questions, doubts and considerations have now been answered in full.

The only thing that functions flawlessly is their regular monthly billing.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 19

Hi Beresford7211,

Ok thanks for the update 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 19

Just to update on this thread:

Taken the opportunity to run a speed test at 08.00 today.

Down: 3.5Mbps - Up: 0.6Mbps

Finally some improvement following increase in the sync speed.

I will monitor over the next few days.

Many thanks.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 19

Hi Beresford7211,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I've re-checked the connection stats and I can see that DLM has increased the sync speed this morning. Could you retest and see if there is any improvement in speed?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 19
Just a quick update for anyone following this thread:
The "NEW" router arrived today and it didn't change a thing.
Still a miserable Download speed of 2.6Mbps and Upload speed of 0.7Mbps
So I think I'll just quietly slide off and shoot myself in the face.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 19
Thanks Karl . . . however, I can only quote from my first post:
"The welcome pack letter offered a blistering estimated download speed between 7.9Mbps and 4.4Mbps. With a guaranteed minimum download speed of 4.4Mbps."
. . . and from the 7th post:
"Thanks for the Technical Clarification, I can now see that the estimated Download Speed promised by TalkTalk for their Fast Broadband was pretty pointless and the guaranteed minimum Download speed was both meaningless and worthless. Obviously one should check SNR Margins/Attenuation and Data Rate at the 'Router' within the 'cooling off period' or suffer the ongoing consequences."

Meanwhile I await delivery of the replacement router.
0 Likes

Message 12 of 19

Hi Beresford7211

I've optimised the line to try to get the most speed out of the line and this is in sync at 3mb currently.

Thanks

Karl. 

0 Likes

Message 13 of 19

Thanks for the Technical Clarification, I can now see that the estimated Download Speed promised by TalkTalk for their Fast Broadband was pretty pointless and the guaranteed minimum Download speed was both meaningless and worthless. Obviously one should check SNR Margins/Attenuation and Data Rate at the 'Router' within the 'cooling off period' or suffer the ongoing consequences.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 19

The line attenuation dictates your router's downstream line rate, that is a technical fact. Now what I should have said is that the router measures this attenuation, it is assuming that there is nothing wrong with the line & it is just down to the distance you live from the exchange (as far as ADSL is concerned).

Therefore there could be a fault on the line causing this high attenuation. For a rough guide, I think from that figure you must live something like 4.42Km from your exchange. However, this is not measured as the crow flies, but this is the distance that the cables have to run to get there (often quite a bit greater distance).

0 Likes

Message 15 of 19

Thanks for the feedback . . . however, I still wonder what happened to the Guaranteed download speed of 4.4Kbps mentioned in my Welcome Pack? I hope the new router will improve things, my current router cannot update its own ‘firmware’. Again many thanks.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 19

I am afraid that with the line attention of 61dB, you should get about 2.4M. You get 3M and your speed test of 2.6M, that is about right.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 19

Hi Keith . . . thank you for the quick response.

I only have two devices, a Linux based Sony Vaio laptop running Linux Mint Cinnamon and an iPhone. The laptop connects with a short router cable and the router connects to the master socket a few meters away. All is new and recently replaced by Open Reach Engineers (19th Dec.)
I only have reason to use one device at a time.
I do not download music streams or video, neither do I play online games. The connection couldn’t cope with simple system updates.
I have only ever run a speed test connected by wire and in isolation.

Here are the stats you requested:

IPv4
/
DSL

DSL Type: ADSL
Cable Status: Connected
Link Rate: 763/3072 Kbps
Connection Type: PPPoA
Network Status: Connected
Connection Uptime: 0 Day 11 Hour 27 Min 51 Sec
MAC Address: N/A
IP Address: 92.25.9.87
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway: 81.1.112.47
Primary DNS Server:
Secondary DNS Server:

IPv4
/
DSL

Line State: up
Modulation: ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS)
Annex Mode: ANNEX_A
DSL (Sync) Uptime: 0d:11h:28m:48s
UpLink / DownLink
SNR Margin: 7.8 dB / 6.5 dB
Line Attenuation: 31.6 dB / 61.0 dB
Output Power: 12.3 dbm / 0.0 dbm
Data Rate: 763 kbps / 3072 kbps
ES: 0 / 2085
SES: 0 / 1463
UAS: 273 / 273
FEC: 58 / 0
CRC: 0 / 66122

-------------------------------------------------------

From Speed Test:

Thank you for submitting your speedtest results. This will aid our technicians if you have an issue.
We recorded your speed as
Download 2613 KBits/s (326.625 KBytes/s)
Upload 639 KBits/s (79.875 KBytes/s)

With the current speed test you could download the following:

Mp3 in 12.24 Seconds
Video in 40.82 Minutes
DVD in 3.40 Hours

Once again . . . many thanks. Your opinion will be of interest.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 18 of 19

Having just read your last paragraph, I thought I ought to see if I can help you with this issue.

How do you connect wireless, wired, or a mixture? If a mixture is a wired connection better than wireless?

It is important to see what your line is actually capable of and what your current download speed is.

To help diagnose this issue, please can you log on to your router, by opening a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome etc) and then enter this address in the address bar:-

http://192.168.1.1

enter the credentials:-

username: admin
password:    use the unique password, which can be found at the top of the label on the rear of the router. It is the one labelled "router" or "admin" password, not the wireless one.

Then go to your ADSL or DSL summary page & paste the stats in this thread.

On the HG633 this is at:-

Maintain > System Information & expand Broadband Information

On the DSL-3782 go to the home page & copy the stats from the DSL & IPv4 pages.

Next can you also go to this speed checker (it is useful to have speed test figures taken at the same time as gathering the router's statistics):-

http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/

Alternatively use:-

https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/speed-checker/

Do this on both wireless & wired (if you have wired), but with never more than one device connected at a time.

Please can you paste the results here?

0 Likes