would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Sagemcom Fast 5364 Keeps needing a reboot

ANSWERED
12 REPLIES 12
Taylope1
Popular Poster

Paid for new router to help with home WiFi but it’s been on for 22 hrs and has needed to be rebooted 4 times already as the WiFi just drops off. Only change I have made is to rename the 5mgz band and change its password.  I have std WiFi devices attaching iPhones, iPads, Xbox and one hard wired connection that runs to my android tv via a home hub using the electrical circuits ( as they do). WiFi on tv is disabled so it can only use that wired connection.  Speed seems the same as well.  Any ideas before I shout again at talktalk?

KeithFrench
Community Star

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Taylope1
Popular Poster
Thanks I understand the possible issues but as the old router was basically the same config and same location the i have to assume the new router is the issue. Speed issues are manly resolved post openreach visit so no need to focus on that if I can rely on this new router being stable. Please send me what ever you need me to follow and hopefully stability will be derived.
KeithFrench
Community Star

Please see my attached guide on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone & Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide, from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Photos" button on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Taylope1
Popular Poster

Thanks.  Will get on it tonight.  Many thanks.

Taylope1
Popular Poster

router acrylic 2.jpgrouter acrylic 1.jpgrouter acrylic 3.jpgrouter acrylic 4.jpg

Taylope1
Popular Poster

NOW THE 2.4GHZ WIFI

router acrylic 1 - 2.4ghz.jpgrouter acrylic 2 - 2.4ghz.jpgrouter acrylic 3 - 2.4ghz.jpg

KeithFrench
Community Star

Thanks for these. 

Move the 2.4G channel on the Wi-Fi hub to channel 6. It does look like something maybe non-wifi is also causing this 2.4GHz signal to vary abruptly (see router acrylic 4.jpg). Let's see what that is like when you are on channel 6.

Instructions on how to change the channel are in my guide.

Taylope1
Popular Poster

So speed actually 10meg faster now on both 2.5 and 5ghz and ping times are reduced too so thats great.  Here are the latest results on 2.4ghz....anything else?

router channel 6  - 2.4ghz 1.jpgrouter channel 6  - 2.4ghz 2.jpgrouter channel 6  - 2.4ghz 3.jpg

KeithFrench
Community Star

I'll check them this afternoon for you.

Taylope1
Popular Poster

Many thanks.  I have unplugged the homehub now as the wifi in the tv is fast enough without a wired connection...in case that also caused issues.  Not had to reboot since change made (fingers crossed)

KeithFrench
Community Star
Solution

Even the erratic signal from the router has become much flatter (therefore better) since changing the channel. Glad to hear your speeds are where you want them.

Taylope1
Popular Poster

Thanks for the fast useful help. Much appreciated