NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unbelievable Catch 22 block to customer service

thunderbird6
Popular Poster
Message 24 of 24

About 10 years ago I set up a broadband account for a small charity with Nildram. They were subsequently taken over by TalkTalk and the accounts were moved to TalkTalk Business, or at least, it transpires, most of them were. After many years of faultless service their broadband went down about two weeks ago. I checked the line and it was completely dead, so BT were called (as the line was with them) and after several engineer visits they declared it fixed. Voice now worked but still no broadband - completely lacking a sync signal so presumably BT had disconnected it somewhere along the way.

Call TT Business on the above line and they claim that the account doesn't exist. Eventually decide that it is a residential account and we need to call them. Residential can find the account but don't want to deal with it as they say it is a business! Once they agree that the account has their account number they still wont deal with it as there is no named individual on the account and residential accounts apparently must have one. This is despite the account under Nildram having had a named individual but this having been replaced by 'Mr C Accountant' by TT when they incorrectly transferred the account to their residential group.

After much internal consultation they decide to email us a form to nominate a new account contact. Having emailed it to my phone (as the broadband doesn't work!), we point out that we have no way of printing out the form or sending it back, and that to complete it we need the signature of the non-existent named individual!! Further internal consultation and eventually (after almost 2 hours) get to speak to a manager who says that we must now send a headed letter by snail mail to head office to get a named individual added to the account and then call them back. By this time they had finally done a test on the line, agreed that there was a fault that would require an engineer's visit and refused point-blank to arrange an appointment for an engineer until the above letters had been sent, received and entered into their database due to their internal procedures needing a named individual in their database.

This was despite the call being made on the line over which the broadband service was (not) being provided, and furnishing them with the full address, account number and even offering the details of the last invoice they sent. So the client now faces another week without broadband for no justifiable reason. And TalkTalk refer to this as Customer Service!

0 Likes
23 REPLIES 23

Message 1 of 24

Hi thunderbird6

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 24

Hi Chris,

The engineer has been and the broadband is up and running again! As I suspected the line had been disconnected from the broadband service, presumably when the BT engineers were fixing the voice fault.

I appreciate all of your assistance in getting this sorted. Hopefully the take away for TT from this is to look at the account security validation processes in situations where you have imported business accounts into the residential service resulting in there being no named individual on the account (unless this really is the only one!).

Seasons Greetings

Keith

0 Likes

Message 3 of 24

Hi thunderbird6,

Our network team have booked the engineer for tomorrow morning (18/12. 08:00-13:00) - please let us know how you get on

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 24

Hi thunderbird6,

Thanks for the PM, I've asked our network team to book the engineer visit for an AM appointment next week. We'll let you know when we receive confirmation of the date booked

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 5 of 24

PM sent

0 Likes

Message 6 of 24

Hi thunderbird6,

I've replied to your PM

Chris

0 Likes

Message 7 of 24

Response sent by PM. Let me know if you need anything further to confirm security.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 24

Hi thunderbird6,

We've sorted your PM now so I'll send you a PM requesting the additional information 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 24

Thanks. If you can let me know the nature of the additional information you need then perhaps I can add it to a private area of my profile?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 24

OK, thanks. Still trying to sort our the PM access, I'll let you know when we get this sorted

Chris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 24

OK. You can also get me on the mobile number in my profile settings.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 24

OK, thanks, we're experiencing system issues at the moment so I can't send you the PM, I'll try again in the morning 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 13 of 24

Forgot to confirm that the potential charges are acceptable.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 24

Hi Chris,

The charity opening hours are :

• Monday – Friday ~ 10.00am – 2.00pm
  • Monday – Thursday ~ 3.30pm – 5.30pm
  • Saturday ~ 10.00am -12.00pm

So mornings are generally better. Given a specific day during the week they can arrange for access to be available from 8am.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 15 of 24

Apologies, I can send you the PM at the moment but I'll try again later or tomorrow morning

Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 24

Hi thunderbird6,

The next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further, to do this can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also PM'd you to confirm some other details

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 17 of 24

Hi thunderbird6,

I've asked our network team to take a look at this, if you don't hear anything later today can you bump the thread again tomorrow and we'll check for updates

Thanks
Chris

0 Likes

Message 18 of 24

Yes, there is only a master socket with no extension wiring. Normally there is only the router connected to the line - I plugged a phone in just to call TT support on the line in question to avoid any security issues...

0 Likes

Message 19 of 24

Hi thunderbird6

Is the router also connected at the test socket? Once we have confirmed this then we can raise this fault over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 20 of 24

Yes the new router, filter and all cables were fitted and still show that there is no sync signal present on the line. This was no surprise as I had already tested the line with a new router and all three routers show that there is no broadband present. I believe that it was probably disconnected by BT when fixing the original dead line fault, but they will not deal with it as the voice circuit is now working. I am an IT engineer with 40 years experience so I have some familiarity with diagnosing broadband faults.

0 Likes