Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

YVM607 and software updates with older HD ready TV

ANSWERED
8 REPLIES 8
DPM123
Popular Poster

I recieved a DT360T in August 2014 and all was well until the end of Jan/Feb 2015 when I got (& still get) a YVM607 error on all HD channels and BBC Iplayer has no sound or pictures (but can see subtitles).

My TV is a HD ready Samsung LE32R74BD which is about 10 years old.

The YouView box is connected to the TV via the single HDMI port and to the internet via powerline adapters

I have followed the advice on here and contacted the service centre and have done all of the troubleshooting up to the point of getting an engineer out. I refused this as I feel that a recent software update to the YouView box has removed support for some HDMI types and the £65 charge to be told so is not something I want. I suspect the 30th January 2015 - 70.36.47 update is the cause but it could also be the 2nd October 2014 - 70.34.09 update. (see http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/software-update-huawei-youview-box)

The troubleshooting undertaken:

Full reboot of TV, router, powerline and YouView box

Full first time install retunes on the TV and YouView box

Full factory resets on the TV and YouView box

Changed out/replaced the HDMI cable 3 times

Connected a relative's 'good' DT360T YouView box to TV get the YVM607 error

Connected my YVM607 error giving YouView box to the relative's TV (A Samsung bought in 2014) all is OK

BBC Iplayer - no sound or vision, just subtitles

Other On demand players eg Quest, Channel 5 are OK.

OCE_Karl
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi,

It is rare, but some older TV's may not be compatible with the HDCP - High bandwidth Digital Content Protection.  If this is the case here, it could not be resolved.

Are you able to try a scart connection to the TV and see if that is also the same?

Karl.

DPM123
Popular Poster

Hi Karl,

I've plugged the YouView box in via the SCART connection and the HD channels are visible in standard definition and BBC IPlayer gives sound and pictures.

After this test I dug out my old Freeview HD set top box (the Youview box's immediate predecessor) and connected it up using the same antenna & HDMI wiring.

Whilst I can view the channel that the box was set to (before powering it up) if I change channel the HDMI sound & vision is lost.

When the Freeview HD box is connected via SCART I can see the menues and change HD channels etc as expected.

From your advice leading to the tests above I think broadcast HDCP codes have changed in my area and are not compatible with my TV; as an aside, friends and family are also reporting loss of some DAB radio channels.

I'll contact Samsung and see if an update to the TV software is available

One question I have is: which version of HDCP does the Youview box use?

OCE_Karl

Hi,

I don't know which version of HDCP our boxes use, but will ask the question of our devices team.

Thanks

Karl.

OCE_Karl

Hi,

The Youview box currently supports HDCP Version 2.0

Thanks

Karl.

DPM123
Popular Poster

Thanks Karl,

I'll ask Samsung, as there is no information in the user guide for the TV.

I suspect it's only v1 compatable.

It's strange that it worked for a few months then after 1/2 Youview updates it gives the error.

I guess the earlier version compatability was removed from the Youview box.

I have discovered the TV has not had any over the air updates in over a year now.

DPM123
Popular Poster
Solution

Hi Karl et al,

after checking with Samsung it is a compatibility issue and the best solution is to replace the TV with a HDCP 2.2 compatible one, to ensure maximum future proofing.

It seems recent changes to HDCP 2.x encyption have removed backwards compatibility to older HDCP 1.x HDTVs, which explains why I managed to get things to work for a few months in 2014.

So for now I can select the channel & see the menus using the HDMI connection, but only view the HD channels & BBC Iplayer via the SD SCART connection

I have also verified this solution on my FreeviewHD set top box too.

So I guess there will be more questions about this error coming into the service centre too.

OCE_Karl

Hi,

OK, I guess this is a resolution of sorts, and certainly something for people to be aware of.

Thanks for letting me know the outcome.

Karl.

DPM123
Popular Poster
Solution

Hi Karl et al,

I've done a bit more internet searching and have come up with a method of getting the Youview box to work with a HDCP1.x HD TV / device.

You will need to purchase a HDMI video converter (similar to a splitter) that outputs HDCP 1.x to the TV.

The one I have in use is a ViewHD 2 Port 1x2 Powered HDMI Mini Splitter for 1080P & 3D (Model reference: VHD-1X2MN3D). This was sourced from the USA (via Amazon.co.uk) and it comes with a UK power supply, but note you will need to separately purchase a second HDMI cable.

So far (1 week) all is well with this hardware solution, with no repeat of the YVM607 error, with all HD channels in HD and BBC IPlayer working as expected.