Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

exporting webmail

ANSWERED
8 REPLIES 8
Greycat
Team Player

Hello all, I think I am being rather thick but hope someone can help me. I have set up some folders in webmail and keep sometimes 20 or so mails some with attachments in a folder. When the subject/project etc is finished I would like to export the folder with mail and attachments to my hard drive but cannot find an easy way to do this. I can do it by using "print to file" but it is tedious and I have to rename everything and save attachments separately.  I use Linux Mint OS with a Firefox browser.

Does anyone have a silver bullet or maybe a suggestion I might try.

Many thanks

Greycat

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fairly certain that native webmail doesn't have any export facility.

Email clients would usually have this ability, Windows Live Mail certainly does, GMail seems to have, not sure about Thunderbird.

Whether Linux supports any of these email aggregators I have no idea. But guess there will be something similar available.

Greycat
Team Player

Hi eebdsirhc,

Thanks for your reply. Thunderbird is OK on Linux and is fine with most mail services but does not work with webmail. I will check out gmail but hoped that I would not have to connect my tiscali A/C to gmail as I suspect that will also not import the created folders only "inbox"

Greycat

RichardSavage
Insightful One

I am not aware of a ‘silver bullet’ in TalkTalk Webmail - You are referring to TalkTalk aren’t you? - that will permit Folder export Greycat.

However, you didn’t mention the ‘Save to Disk’ option. Have you tried that?

At least you would NOT have to Name the individual emails, and, the attachment WILL be included in the save!  Not really what you are wanting, but at least not quite so tedious as the option you are presently using, and the file is saved in mail retrievable format!

~R.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as I know there are quite a lot of people on these forums using Thunderbird to access their TalkTalk email accounts.

If you set up as an IMAP account it should synchronise all folders.

Greycat
Team Player

Hi Richard, Yes I am using talktalk.net webmail and do not see anywhere folder export? As I said I am being a bit thick. Left or right clicking or selecting either folders or individual emails does not seem to give me an option of export or save to disk but maybe that is Linux. I have checked in the mail settings to see if there is something there but, no joy. If you could explain the way I should access the export or save to disc options you mention I would be grateful and will then give them a try.  Are you using a Linux OS or something else?

Greycat

RichardSavage
Insightful One
Solution

Greycat, I am presently using Apple OS X v10.11.4 / Mozilla Firefox v45.0.1, and although I would not have thought that opening TalkTalk Webmail, in Mozilla Firefox, in Linux Mint OS, would present you with a dramatically different presentation to mine, as you suggest, we are talking different computer operating systems here!

Have a look at the attached graphic.  I have right-clicked on the 12:01:00 mail. Do you have significant differences in your presentation?

Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 13.43.17.png

~R.

Greycat
Team Player

Hi Richard,

You are correct, if I right click on the unopened email I see the same dropdown as you as I can save to disc. My setup is Mint 17.3 Rosa with Firefox 45.0.1

My error was in opening the email and then trying to RC etc. The resulting text file is not pretty but does save the email.

Many thanks for your solution

Greycat

RichardSavage
Insightful One

Pleased I could help Greycat.

However, you might care to give further consideration to using Thunderbird to access your @talktalk.net mail  It offers just a little more in the way of Export / Input options! :smileyhappy:

Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 15.16.40.jpg

~R.