TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4K Box recording

IrishSetter
Popular Poster
Message 25 of 25

Tonight I wanted to record Match of the Day whilst watching The Chase.  When Match of the Day started to record, I was told I had to stop recording if I wanted to watch The Chase at the same time. No other channel worked - unless I cancelled the recording. I had to watch The Chase on another TV in a different room, whilst Match of the Day was recording on the other. This is nonsense, right?!

Are you seriously telling me that I can’t watch TV and record something else at the same time?! So, if you want to watch a programme that is clashing with another, you’re stuffed? A video recorder in 1980 would allow me to do that, but the super-duper 4K Box doesn’t have that capability? That is totally ludicrous. 

Surely the most common use of the Record function is when two programmes clash at the same time? Watch one, record the other and watch it afterwards? Not on my 4K Box! 

0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24

Message 1 of 25

@Freddieboy69  Thanks for that. I was wondering if there was enough power from the port. Fingers crossed not long to wait for NOW eh !!

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as "Accepted Solution" from the 3 dot dropdown menu in the bottom right of this post so that staff or others do not spend time looking for alternatives. If you like the answer please feel free to click the "Like Button"
0 Likes

Message 2 of 25

Hi @fre55die , I use a standalone Samsung M3 1tb Portable HDD, I must admit i was unsure at first wether it would drain power from the Motherboard, but no, it works seamlessly, no heating from the USB input, and no sluggish responses even when recording and playing back at the same time, Just waiting for Now TV App to be live then I’m well happy 

R307E344D-C27D-49A6-96BC-98F01E6D3F40.jpegegards

Freddie

F040D23D-5C13-4AA2-82C9-00E85666D81A.jpeg

Message 3 of 25

Hi @Freddieboy69 

Thanks for the info. Could I ask are you using a true external portable drive, a 12v desktop drive, or is it a USB stick? If it's a portable drive how is it powered, as I wasn't aware that the USB on the box gave the necessary constant 5 volts?

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as "Accepted Solution" from the 3 dot dropdown menu in the bottom right of this post so that staff or others do not spend time looking for alternatives. If you like the answer please feel free to click the "Like Button"
0 Likes

Message 4 of 25

Hi @IrishSetter 

I can't understand this as splitting the signal shouldn't affect the box at all nor should your internet speed. Just to confirm this, If you unplug the splitter from the wall and just have the box aerial lead from the wall to the box, does the box response improve? I have just tried this on mine and there is no difference, it's certainly not sluggish as yours seems to be from your description.

The internet is only used for some of the catch up channels and Apps.

Re the recordings, see how you get on with the new stick.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 5 of 25

@Freddieboy69 That has always been possible as long as the channels concerned are on the same MUX. But no provider has ever really advertised that because it is somewhat random depending on which two channels you want to watch. 

Freddieboy69
Chatterbox
Message 6 of 25

Hi, Just to clarify my original reply, and for fr8ys attention, you CAN watch other channels whilst recording, but not all, it varies depending on what channel you are recording, and which TV transmitter you are using, but i checked on my box here in Omagh, Northern Ireland, and if I’m recording BBC 1 HD i can at the same time watch other HD channels from ITV as well as 4 & 5 !  
To see what channels you can watch while recording, press 1 to take you to BBC1, and then just press the Channel up button to go through the channels, you will see some are viewable, others will have the ‘Recording ‘ caption, 

As i also stated before, Freeview Play is still available during recordings, so you can still watch ‘Live’ TV on the BBC iPlayer and ITV player apps, 

Yes I was informed by Netgem that the Now App should be integrated and operational from May, one thing I expected from day one, but it had to be specifically coded for TalkTalk boxes, as Netgem don’t normally support the Now TV App hence the delay 

Anyways good luck with your box, 

Regards

Freddie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 25

Hi there - I misunderstood the splitter/cabling stuff previously. I have since tried it again, and it works. I can watch and record at the same time. However, it seems to affect the remote etc in that every button press takes an age to go through. Maybe splitting the signal is not the best idea. Not sure if it is anything to do with my slow wi-fi speeds - I'm about to report that issue and see if it improves.

Re the USB stick - I reformatted it from my PC and then the box. I have tested it on five different channels and every recording freezes and jumps in the first 30 seconds. After that, it seems fine (except for BBC1 which jumped 5 times in a 4-minute recording). As I said, it is only a cheapo make so I will buy another more reputable brand and see if that makes any difference. I'll open a new thread if it doesn't.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 25

@IrishSetter

Re watching, cant you just press whatever channel/s that you want to watch live via your TV remote having set the box to record something else on different channels?

That is the point of the splitter so that the TV can use it's own tuner whilst the box tuner also receives all channels independantly.

1TB is huge unless you plan on recording lots of HD or 4K programmes, bear in mind that the Huawei boxes only have a 350GB drive in them.

Message 9 of 25

Thanks for your reply. I was wondering about the stick, especially as it was not a great brand and only cost a fiver. False economy lol. 

I’ll order a 1Tb Samsung stick and see if that makes a difference. I can’t see many instances when I actually need to record, but it would be nice to have the ability if the need arose. 

0 Likes

Message 10 of 25

Ah ok, my mistake. Even though I find it ridiculous in this day and age that I can’t record and watch simultaneously, it’s no big deal. It just means I have to use the box to record and watch another TV in a different room. 

As for the stick, it’s the only one I have that is 32G. It only cost a fiver, so I’ll invest in another (mentioned below) and give it another try. 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 25

Hi @IrishSetter 

This gets confusing with 2 similar screen names.

I have to switch inputs to TV on one of my TV's to watch live TV. I cannot see how you can have this TV problem as by using a splitter you are totally by-passing the box for your aerial to the TV altogether. All Freeview channels are over the air so your internet speed will not be having any effect at all.

As  @Freddieboy69 has said the USB could be the problem as I have not encountered any of the problems you are seeing. Could you try a full re-format of the stick, firstly on a laptop or PC then format it again on the box itself. Is the stick a good quality one rather than a potentially counterfeit E-bay one?

NOW is in the final stages of testing on the box so it shouldn't be long coming.

If this doesn't solve it then please start a new thread on this section and the staff will see if it could be a box problem.

I must confess that I too am not a huge fan of the box and prefer using my HUMAX T2000's.

IMPORTANT  for staff support !!!!!!
Could you please ensure that your personal information is up to date in your profile including your current registered land line. This is purely so that they can tie up your screen name to your account.
Link here - https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/personal-profile:personal-info

If you are unsure of your phone number, you can find this in My Account or dial 17070 from your landline phone and this will confirm the number for you.
Thank you

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Message 12 of 25

I think you may have misunderstood the watch another while recording.

You can't do this on the box. To watch while recording you need to switch to the TV tuner and watch via this. The splitter is to give you an aerial feed to your TV so the tuner there is active.

I can only concur that you may have a faulty stick. Do you have another you can try?

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).

Freddieboy69
Chatterbox
Message 13 of 25

Hi IrishSetter it sounds to me that you either have a faulty box, or more likely an incompatible memory stick,

My recordings are perfect quality, no skipping, jerking or jumping, 

i find the fast forward x3 very smooth, its only when i get up to x 100 the programme moves rapidly, but that’s expected at that speed,

i also like the option of slow motion, by pressing the pause button, then pressing the fast forward button, gives you x 0.5 again super smooth, no glitches or jumping, ideal for watching a recorded football match,

your recording problems would certainly not be associated with your broadband speed, but that is a serious drop that you should definitely report,

But recording’s should be top notch, so as i said about either the memory stick or the box

hope that helps??

Regards

Freddie,

Message 14 of 25

Hi Freddie - I’m afraid the jury’s still out with me. I’m finding the box a bit of a disappointment. 

I did connect a splitter and two cables (one to box, one to TV) and it still didn’t allow me to record and watch at the same time. Like you say though, I tested it by recording a film and was able to watch various channels, but not all. The message said if I wanted to watch “live TV” I had to stop recording. I couldn’t watch BBC1 or 2 but was able to watch live football on ITV. It makes no sense to me. 

My contract for super fast fibre optic broadband expired and I’ve moved to Fibre 65. Speeds have dropped from 70Mbs to 38Mbs which is poor. Not sure if it has any bearing on my recording, but I have recorded three programmes and all of them freeze or jump forward on watching them back. Usually in the first few minutes, by which time I just give up and turn it off. I have a 32G USB stick, as recommended. Recordings have been unwatchable. 

It says NOW TV is coming soon. Well, I’ve had it a month and I’m still waiting. Soon means what? Next month, another six months, next year?

Final issue - the pause then fast forward live TV barely works properly either. Set it to x10 speed, it freezes and jumps to a point miles ahead, way past the end of the adverts. It’s pointless. 

And the remote itself just lags terribly. I press a button and sometimes have to wait more than 10 seconds for it to do what I asked. Maybe it’s down to my poor Fibre 65 speeds, but I don’t have anything using up my bandwidth except for PC and TV. Maybe it’s my TV which is not a Smart TV. 

So, overall I find the package very disappointing. A 4K Box in 2022 that won’t allow me to record and watch something else at the same time is laughable. I’m close to giving up with it altogether. 

0 Likes

Freddieboy69
Chatterbox
Message 15 of 25

Hi, I must admit i was dubious about this 4k box when i first received it, but having had it for 2 months now,  thought I’d give you my views re watching / recording tv,

I have connected a 1tb Samsung hard drive to the box, 

if I’m recording a channel and the screen pops up telling me a recording is in progress, I’ll  press 1 for BBC 1, and press the ch + button on the remote, and you can still watch certain channels, Tonight i was recording Coronation Street on ITV and was still able to watch other  Channels ie ITV2 / Channel 4, Film 4 /  Channel 5 channels for starters.

However, if your chosen Channel is not available during recording, Apps are still available, and most of them allow you to Watch Live, even when a recording is in progress,

Thirdly when a recording is taking place, you can still go to the recording’s screen, and then watch a previous recording at the same time as the new recording,

So quite a few options, and no additional wiring or splitting,

Hope this information helps?

Freddieboy

Message 16 of 25

Hi

I will pass your feedback along.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Message 17 of 25

Thanks for your reply - they merely state you need a USB stick in the comparison boxes. No mention of what we're talking about. Appreciate your solution and will look into buying another cable. Back to the Stone Age 😉

Message 18 of 25

Thanks for your reply Karl. I also don't see the need to record very much - only when two programmes clash. But it beggars belief in this day and age that I cannot watch TV and record at the same time, and have to turn my TV off to record a programme. No problem doing so with a 1980s video recorder, but impossible with TalkTalk's 4K Box in 2022. Ridiculous, if you ask me.

Message 19 of 25

Hi IrishSetter

I hope my colleagues have answered your query.

With the majority of content available on demand and catchup, I do find the need to record less these days and watch most missed content on one of the many available players later.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

fr8ys
Community Star
Message 20 of 25

@IrishSetter this unfortunately is a limitation with this box and one TalkTalk do mention in their comparison of boxes, but don't, in my view, draw enough attention to.

I've described this box as being akin to a streaming stick ( like a Firestick, or Roku) but in a box, with (limited) recording capability.

I too, like @fre55die , bought a splitter and additional cables to connect the aerial to both box and TV. Unfortunately it's the only way to watch and record at the same time.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).