TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing freeview channels

Faith44
Participant
Message 6 of 6

I'm having an issue with my tv channels  and need help understanding what is causing the problem. Yesterday I noticed that a couple of channels were missing. It was saying weak signal check your aerial is connected. Then today the food network and another one disappeared. I tried rebooting, unplugging the Youview box. I tried connecting the aerial to the tv and auto tuning but no channels were found. I then decided to  retune the channels on the set top box but it made it worse. Now all the freeview channels are gone. They're not showing in guide, only the subscription channels.  Could it be the actual aerial or antenna that are faulty since the cable did not work even when I connected it to the smart tv. I thought I would ask the community first before calling an engineer to come have a look. 

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Yes you can install the cable yourself as the lead is only about 4 - 5 feet long with connector plugs at each end, it just replaces your current lead from the wall aerial socket to your box. When you retuned the TV Etc. as it can only pick up the current signals being received, this will have erased any memory and overwritten it as blank.

If this doesn't get your signal back then you will need to get a local recommended aerial installer in to work out what has gone wrong as TalkTalk don't provide this service I'm afraid.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as "Accepted Solution" from the 3 dot dropdown menu in the bottom right of this post so that staff or others do not spend time looking for alternatives. If you like the answer please feel free to click the "Like Button"
0 Likes

Faith44
Participant
Message 2 of 6

I live in east Anglia region. I don't know if the fire could have affected my signal. Cam I connect the lead to the wall socket myself or do I need to bring in an engineer? Also why did the retuning erase all the channels?

0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

@Faith44  Which part of the country do you live in? The Bilsdale transmitting station is a broadcasting and telecommunications facility, located at Bilsdale West Moor above Bilsdale, close to Helmsley, North Yorkshire.

The lead that TT will send you is to connect the box to the socket in the wall which is worth trying as I mentioned before.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as "Accepted Solution" from the 3 dot dropdown menu in the bottom right of this post so that staff or others do not spend time looking for alternatives. If you like the answer please feel free to click the "Like Button"
0 Likes

Faith44
Participant
Message 4 of 6

Hi Fre55die

When I plug the aerial cable into the tv and auto scan for channels nothing appears.  When I spoke to talk talk they said all they can do is send me a new aerial cable but I would need an engineer to connect it to the outside of the house.  I did put enable the antenna out but still nothing. I'm not sure if my signal has been affected by the transmitter fire . 2 days ago I noticed that I didn't have a couple of channels. It was giving a message of weak signal. Then the next day a couple more channels stopped working with the same message. Then I decided to retune channels on the talk talk box. After that I lost all the freeview channels and only had the subscription ones. Whenever I press the channel numbers it says no channel. I wish I hadn't done the retune, I was at least getting most channels . Now I have no idea what is the cause, is it the aerial, the antenna, my tv or the set top box . 

0 Likes

fre55die
Community Star
Message 5 of 6

Hi @Faith44 

Question 1 have you been affected by the transmitter fire at the Bilsdale transmitter? as this is slowly coming back on line.

If not, If you plug the aerial directly into your TV do you get the channels? If you do, Your aerial appears to be functioning.

Unfortunately if there is no signal then it is an aerial problem. Step 1 to try is to connect a new or different aerial lead from the wall socket to your TV as these leads have been known to degrade, if you now get a signal, connect it to the box and retune as described below.

Unfortunately if there is still no solid picture you will have to contact a local recommended aerial engineer. TT do not provide this service.

Have you checked that the antenna out is enabled on your box? Blue button on remote, up to the cog wheel at the top, > Picture and Sound > Antenna Out this should be on.

Unplug your aerial and do a tune without it connected to the box.  This will find no channels but will clear your TV memory. Re-plug in the aerial and fully  tune again.

0 Likes