TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear 4k pause and record/replay wont work ...

Teamspottydog
Popular Poster
Message 36 of 36

The box arrived a few days ago ... I followed set up instructions, including installing the latest update.  'Pause' only worked once, then pressing the button had no effect.  I reluctantly (because it involves a 25+ minute job of signing in to all the apps again) performed a reset; same thing happened ... 'pause' only worked once !!!

Today the 1TB USB I ordered arrived, so I tried to install and format it.   The message 'this may take a few minutes' just remained on my screen indefinitely (I lost patience after 35 minutes). 

My hope that the box might be 'plug and play' now seems entirely unrealistic ... it seems more like 'plug and spend hours and hours doing resets, searching the web for answers, listening to Talktalk's terrible music while you wait to talk to a human being etc. etc.' ...     (just like my Eero installation) 

MR JOHN D RUTTER
0 Likes
35 REPLIES 35

ferguson
Community Star
Message 21 of 36

Just to add that I did have a similar problem in setting up an external drive for recording from my LG TV. Turns out that certain types of drive just won't work. And I hope you are ejecting the drive from the box each time and not simply unplugging it, that could corrupt the drive and possibly explain the strange behaviour with the Pause feature. 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 22 of 36

Hmm, I cannot see how any of the steps you were asked to take could possibly have any bearing or impact on connecting an external drive to the Netgem box. I trust  it is functioning OK in other respects i.e. TV and apps working as they should? Did you look at the help and support pages I posted earlier. 

0 Likes

Message 23 of 36

I have made one positive discovery; after another (4th.) reset, I realised that the pause works until you try to install a USB. The USB must disable the pause function, and even if you subsequently remove the USB, the pause function remains disabled.  Talk about trial and error ... they say that if you waited long enough an immortal monkey working on an indestructable typewriter would eventually produce the entire works of Shakespeare ... I wonder if that monkey is available to try all the buttons you have to press to get a Talktalk TV box to work properly ...

MR JOHN D RUTTER

Message 24 of 36

I think I have been talking to the Netgem team (not sure); after waiting 29 minutes to talk to someone at Talktalk, they passed me on to someone else (Netgem perhaps, I don't know). They suggested a reset for my remote; made no difference.   They then suggested I go on the Eero app to make sure that my Eero knew the box was there (I thought that because the box was connected and functioning through the Eero, it already knew it was there; apparently not) We struggled for a while to find a conclusive way of confirming that the Eero and the box were properly connected, but any further mechanism for doing so was not easily accessible;  both the box (through the tv screen) and the Eero app (on my phone) offer QR codes to scan ... but neither offer the ability to scan a code !!! After a while it was suggested that a direct connection between the box on the wall (the OHC or ONC ... I'd never heard this term before) would resolve my problem.   I was assured that there were multiple outlets on this box, but I didn't check while still on the line, because it involves lying on my back under my computer desk with a torch ... I wish I had;  there are no extra sockets on the box. So, another hour-and-a-half  to add to the two-and-a-half that I have already spent trying to get the box to function ... is there an emoji for 'banging your head against a wall' ???

MR JOHN D RUTTER
0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 25 of 36

I would reach out to Netgem directly through their support team. 

0 Likes

Message 26 of 36

Yes, I chose the NTFS option ... the  'USB Storage verification in progress' message has now been on my screen for 30+ minutes ... I'm not very optimistic.  I have also been listening to Talktalk's terrible music for 21 minutes (again) ... in the forlorn hope that I might be able to speak to a human being who can constructively address this issue ....

MR JOHN D RUTTER
0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 27 of 36

LOL, I don't know!

Did you format in NTFS as the online instructions suggest?

https://www.netgem.co.uk/support/

https://netgemhelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010600718

0 Likes

Message 28 of 36

Formatted the USB, went through the process on the tv ... the 'USB Storage verification in progress' messge has now been on my screen fo 18 minutes ???   (my 1TB USB is displayed as having a capacity of 1.05TB by the tv ... that extra 0.05 capacity won't blow its mind , will it ?) 

MR JOHN D RUTTER
0 Likes

Message 29 of 36

Have you managed to format and connect the external drive? 

0 Likes

Message 30 of 36

Yes, this is the box ... the source of my current and ongoing angst and frustration ...

MR JOHN D RUTTER

ferguson
Community Star
Message 31 of 36

Teamspottydog
Popular Poster
Message 32 of 36

The first reply seemed to suggest that I had omitted my phone number from my profile ("Could you please ensure that your personal information is up to date in your profile INCLUDING your registered landline number... ").  I followed the link and discovered that my phone number was already recorded ???   I originally felt a bit 'told off' when I read this ... now I just feel confused and bewildered (again) ... 

MR JOHN D RUTTER
0 Likes

Teamspottydog
Popular Poster
Message 33 of 36

You are correct .... my mistake, it is a Netgem.   I've been on so many websites recently desperately searching for a solution that I got momentarily confused with identifying my unit. I'll try formatting the USB with my computer ... but if that is what you are meant to do, it would have been better if the box came with some instructions to that effect.  The are instructions about formatting the disc that appear on screen when you install a USB ... I have followed them (twice).   A message eventually displays, "USB Storage verification in progress" ... after a while that message disappears, but I still cannot record.  I thought that the pause facility would be independent of the recording issue ... but it is such a pain doing the reset (having to sign in to all the apps again) I am very reluctant just to keep trying until the pause works more than once ...

MR JOHN D RUTTER
0 Likes

fre55die
Community Star
Message 34 of 36

Hi @Teamspottydog 

Are you on a trial for this box as I haven't seen it publicised?

If it is a trial then you should be posting to the trials team as per the instructions you will have been given rather than on here.

Could you please ensure that your personal information is up to date in your profile INCLUDING your registered landline number
Link here - https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/personal-profile:personal-info.
This is purely so that the staff can tie up your details and trace your account as this is not possible from just your screen name.
If you are unsure of your phone number, you can find this in My Account or dial 17070 from your landline phone and this will confirm the number for you.

Thank you

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as "Accepted Solution" from the 3 dot dropdown menu in the bottom right of this post so that staff or others do not spend time looking for alternatives. If you like the answer please feel free to click the "Like Button"
0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 35 of 36

I think you mean Netgem rather than Netgear. And from what I have found online you need to format an external drive via a computer rather than the box itself.

0 Likes