TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Youview fault

PoppyRossi
Conversation Starter
Message 44 of 44

I contacted Talktalk last Friday as my Youview box was not working.  After a long fault-finding conversation I was told I needed a new box and that this would be sent to me to arrive at the beginning of this week.  Tomorrow I will have been without my TV for a week and no box has arrived.

This is the second time in a matter of a few months that the box has malfunctioned and on each occasion I have lost all my recordings.

Help please!

0 Likes
43 REPLIES 43

Message 21 of 44

@PoppyRossi 

One thought, put everything back as it was. Turn on the TT box, Dismiss any message that you may get about no internet by pressing the down button on remote then OK. Press the blue YV/Menu button on the TT remote > Settings (the cog wheel at the top) > Picture and Sound > Antenna Out and make sure that this is ON as it resets to off by default after a reset. > Done press back on remote.

Turn off the TT box from the remote and the aerial should function normally bypassing the box. You may have to play with the source inputs on the TV to get the correct one (it should be the TV one).

I've just found an ad for I-Can and it looks like that also needs internet although I haven't got a clue about what it does or how it works.

Let us know if this works.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as "Accepted Solution" from the 3 dot dropdown menu in the bottom right of this post so that staff or others do not spend time looking for alternatives. If you like the answer please feel free to click the "Like Button"

Message 22 of 44

@PoppyRossi 

The only change that you should have made was to disconnect the aerial from in on the TT box and plugged it into the aerial in on the TV.

I haven't got a clue about your satelite set up I'm afraid. The TT box doesn't support satellite broadcasts.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as "Accepted Solution" from the 3 dot dropdown menu in the bottom right of this post so that staff or others do not spend time looking for alternatives. If you like the answer please feel free to click the "Like Button"
0 Likes

PoppyRossi
Conversation Starter
Message 23 of 44

Unfortunately they are not - modem is in hall near BT connection into house and TV is in lounge. 

0 Likes

PoppyRossi
Conversation Starter
Message 24 of 44

Thanks for info.

I now have another problem!

After previous post I tried to plug the aerial into the TV direct but I didn't manage to get a signal  - and I have also lost the signal to my ICan satellite box - it's working but screen msg says no signal.

Could you please explain the configuration of cables /aerials when using Youview and a satellite plz - both of which were working well until this problem with the adapters and me moving the cables.

Many thanks.

0 Likes

Message 25 of 44

@PoppyRossi 

Are they both in the same room ? On my original installation many years ago the engineer just drilled a small hole in the bottom corner of the wall to get the RJ45 lead from where the router is to the location of the box. If it's in the same room they also make the leads in flat profile to "hide" more easily.

Subsequently this has proved very useful as I have added a simple Tp-link ethernet switch to feed my Smart TV, a Roku, box and several other things in that room as well as the TT box.

Anyway hopefully a pair of PLA's should be with you by Weds. or Thurs.

0 Likes

PoppyRossi
Conversation Starter
Message 26 of 44

Thanks again,

When I did both options of the maintenance - the first to keep recordings and when that didn't work I did the other option.

Not sure what happened to the box the chat person was going to send me - the chat was early afternoon on 23 April in case you can check that back. However, I read on another post that Talktalk boxes no longer record so I'd prefer to keep the one I have that does record if that's possible, so hoping the problem is indeed with the adapters and not the box.

I will look into the cable you suggest but it will be a bit awkward - taking it under the floorboards.

0 Likes

Message 27 of 44

Hi again @PoppyRossi 

I have escalated this for you so it should be picked up by @Karl-TalkTalk  first thing on Tuesday as they are not officially working in Bank Holiday Monday.

One thing does intrigue me, you said that you lost your recordings doing the suggested maintenance reset OPTION 2 which specifically keeps your recordings and just reloads the operating system and as I say KEEPS

your recordings. Most of the other options will reformat your hard drive so you do lose recordings with those.

Message 28 of 44

Hi @PoppyRossi 

The OCE's are staff (who can order replacement items) and the rest of us are long term customers with mostly technical backgrounds who know most of the tricks having come across most problems and know most of the quick fixes.

0 Likes

Message 29 of 44

@PoppyRossi 

@Karl-TalkTalk  Is on the case for you and he will be able to authorise and arrange for a pair to be sent to you. I can't authorise sending them but, when he is back on Tuesday I am sure that he will arrange them for you. They usually arrive in 24-48 hours by courier when organised by him, wheras chat etc. tend to take a lot longer to arrive.

If you can connect a longer RJ45 cable between router and box neatly it is probably worth doing it permanently as Power Line Adapters are not terribly reliable in the long term. These leads are available in most lengths from AMAZON, Just check that it's got the Prime label on the descriptions for next day delivery AND CHECK THE RATINGS/REVIEWS for the item.

0 Likes

PoppyRossi
Conversation Starter
Message 30 of 44

P. S. not sure if you guys giving help are Talktalk staff/volunteers .... so not sure if you could send adapters.

0 Likes

PoppyRossi
Conversation Starter
Message 31 of 44

Thanks again,

Could some new adapters be sent out please?

P.

0 Likes

Message 32 of 44

@PoppyRossi 

Yes, just plug the TV aerial lead directly from the wall socket into the aerial socket on the TV. It may need a retune if it hasn't been used recently.

PoppyRossi
Conversation Starter
Message 33 of 44

Thanks

What would be the more permanent solution?

Is it easy to by-pass the Youview box and just have normal terrestrial TV for the time being?  Don't want to cause any more complications.

P.

0 Likes

fre55die
Community Star
Message 34 of 44

@PoppyRossi 

Is there any way that as a temporary fix you could connect a long RJ45 lead between the box and the router to check that this is the fault? I notice that 20Mtr leads are available for free delivery tomorrow from Amazon on Prime from about £7 if you can't borrow one from elsewhere.

PoppyRossi
Conversation Starter
Message 35 of 44

Hello again,

I have tried this twice - the result:

No lights on the adapter near the modem (flashed green briefly bit stopped when I released the  button).

The centre and left light on the adapter near the TV are lit green - not flashing.  No light on right side.

0 Likes

Message 36 of 44
0 Likes

Message 37 of 44

Hi 

I have done this more than once with no result.

I am now without TV over the Bank Holiday weekend.

Could someone please help me with this problem.

As I have mentioned, there is only one light on the receiver powerline adapter and none on the other.  The internet is working OK for my computer.

Thank you in anticipation.

0 Likes

PoppyRossi
Conversation Starter
Message 38 of 44

Sorry - I should add that there is only one light on one of the adapters and none on the other.  the internet is working fine for my computer.  I have tried pairing the adapters without success.

0 Likes

Message 39 of 44

Hi

I had already done this after troubleshooting before I contacted Talktalk.  The chat assistant insisted the problem was with the box.

0 Likes

PoppyRossi
Conversation Starter
Message 40 of 44

The problem - the box was not connecting to the internet.  I suggested it may be due to the powerline adapter but the assistant assured me the problem was with the box - that problem could be seen from his/her end.

0 Likes