Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Yet anothet, "yet another £4 TV charge opt out request"

11 REPLIES 11
BjayGG
Team Player

Hi,

I too would like to cancel my TV service - and opt out of the newly introduced £4 charge - and yes I do know that I won't be able to use the TV service.

If you require the YouView hardware box back then please send me post and packing to allow that to happen - failing that I will leave it for you to collect at your cost and at your leisure.

Every year TalkTalk seem to find something new to charge me for despite the fact that they tell me that some service is fixed, free etc.   TT, regretably, are really starting to make me rethink whether I want to persevere with this money grabbing organisation.  

Its also very clever of TT that they have "shot themselves in the foot" in that I won't hire any more charegable films via TT.

Many thanks

Barry

ferguson
Community Star

You can keep the box and you will still be able to watch content available to buy/rent from the TalkTalk TV Store. If you use that on a regular basis bear in mind that there is a £5 monthly voucher which more than offsets the £4 fee.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/TalkTalk-TV-pricing-is-changing/ta-p/2279095

Subject to that, I have flagged this up to the support team for you.

BjayGG
Team Player

Hi Ferguson,

Thanks for this - but I am now a bit confused (sorry!).  

So are you saying that:-

1)  the box remains with me and will still connect to to the internet for TT updates

2) However,none of the content will work except pay for films - which will be the same cost as now

3) I will NOT be charged the the £4 monthly charge even if I use the pay to view films.

So can you please confirm the above - coz if thats true then I am qute happy

Thanks

Barry

BjayGG
Team Player

Correction:  I should have said above "pay for individial films" - not  film channels such as Sky

Thanks

Barry

ferguson
Community Star

The link I posted earlier contains full details. In essence if you currently use "pay for" films via TalkTalk then that service will remain available regardless of whether you otherwise subscribe to TalkTalk TV. But if you do subscribe to TalkTalk TV at £4 per month then you get a £5 monthly voucher to redeem from your first rental/purchase. Hope that makes sense!

Birchcroft
Philosopher

@ferguson wrote:

The link I posted earlier contains full details. In essence if you currently use "pay for" films via TalkTalk then that service will remain available regardless of whether you otherwise subscribe to TalkTalk TV. But if you do subscribe to TalkTalk TV at £4 per month then you get a £5 monthly voucher to redeem from your first rental/purchase. Hope that makes sense!

Sorry to question the above, but non-TV customers do not have access to the TV store and therefore are unable to rent/buy films.  Box sets will appear if you do s search on your youview box but I am told you need a PIN to access them and you can't set a PIN because you don't have talktalk TV.

The link you posted earlier does not provide any definitive information on renting/buying movies, but TalkTalk's web site appears to imply that you have to be a TV subscriber to rent/buy movies:

https://www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/tv-and-broadband

Perhaps an OCE would provide a definitive answer.

ferguson
Community Star

@Birchcroft  I have already flagged this up to the OCE as you should have seen earlier. Perhaps you could have held back your mistaken opinion until they had replied.

Birchcroft
Philosopher

@ferguson  I stand corrected, OCE Karl has already clarified the situation in another thread:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Billing-Your-account-MyTalkTalk/4-charge-for-tv/m-p/2299628

That said I, a non-TV customer with a Humax box, just tried clicking on film with a rent/buy option and got the error YVM105, which maybe unrelated but seems a bit of a coincidence.

But it would be nice if, as suggested by others, a sticky was created providing a clear explanation of the changes and how they impact customers.  This would have the duel benefits of providing consistency and hopefully reducing the workload on the OCEs.

OCE_Karl
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi @BjayGG

I can opt you out of the upcoming TV charge but I'll need to confirm some security details to access your account.  I'll send a PM separately with the info required.

Please note however that when you opt out of TalkTalk TV you will lose access to add and remove TV Boosts flexibly.  You will lose access to TV Boost on demand content via the TalkTalk player.  You will also lose access to TV on the go services via the web and Mobile App.

Also, any current recordings you have made from a Boost channel will stop working when you are no longer subscribed to that channel.

Thanks

Karl

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

OCE_Karl
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Barry

I've actioned the request for you now.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

mattnorfolk
First Timer

@ferguson wrote:

You can keep the box and you will still be able to watch content available to buy/rent from the TalkTalk TV Store. If you use that on a regular basis bear in mind that there is a £5 monthly voucher which more than offsets the £4 fee.

If this is correct, I would be quite happy with this arrangement. However, all information I have read leads me to think that the £5 voucher is a one off sweetener for February only. Can anyone confirm, as the wording in the official email is vague enough to cause confusion. 

ferguson
Community Star

@mattnorfolk If you could ask the question in a new topic of your own that would be best, not only to avoid confusion with the existing topic, but also as a help to others.