TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You View Plus box less than week old - failing hard drive or software issues?

natalie-1
Chatterbox
Message 5 of 5

I got a You View Plus box and set it all up last Saturday (9th). All was great up until Tuesday evening (in fairness I hadn't actually used it that much up until that point either as either out/busy). I was watching a program on All 4 player and it froze mid way. My remote also was only semi responding and slowly at that, so I tried the typical IT fix of turning it off and on again. On turning it back on it was stuck "waking up". I left it for a good hour before giving up and going to bed.

I then did a Google search to find this is actually a very common problem and to go into the maintenance to restore the box. I tried all of the options and it was still getting stuck mid way, if I remember right it was hanging on doing an update at 100%, again left it for a hour and still not progressing any further.

After about 2 days trying to fix it I finally made some progress. A factory reset seemed to get it back to a somewhat usable state it finally did the update properly but the box was still running very slow and remote semi responding. So I did another reset, this time the remote was working but the players/apps wouldn't work and crashed the box on trying to load one. Factory reset yet again. Players now working but the channels were breaking up. Did a retune and all seems to now be good and responding well. There may have been more resets I had to do but I lost count as I was getting so frustrated with it.

So initially I thought the software somehow got corrupt but it took a lot of patience getting it working again. Last night I noticed the hard drive was making a lot of clicking noises every few minutes, even in stand by it is doing it. I know it is normal to hear the hard drive whirring but clicking noises... I'm not so sure that is normal and I don't recall hearing them before the problem started. It is quite an irritating noise and could hear it from another room. I work in IT and in my experience clicking/clunking noises coming from a hard drive usually indicates failure as it is the sound of the disk catching.

So my question is am I just being paranoid that it is failing on me or is there actually a problem? It shouldn't be doing this on a brand new box unless I was sent a refurbished/recycled box. How long before it crashes on me again? From the google searches I was doing it sounds like turning it off upsets a lot of boxes too and it is a very common problem.

My next problem is if an engineer wanted to visit is that I'm out long hours at work 5 days a week and I'm an hour drive away from home too. I live alone so there is no one else there who cna be present for an engineer.

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5

No Problem 🙂

Glad to help.

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 2 of 5

Thank you very much. Sat down to watch a recorded program last night, box was making the odd scratchy noise but better than it had been. I then had to pause it, went to start the program again and TV box and remote completely non responsive. So turned it off at the back and back on again and yep just as I thought it would do got stuck waking up. So tried a factory reset and that got stuck on waking up again, then did a further reset but this time from internet/USB and it worked. But the whole time the reset was being done and going into the maintenance menu the hard drive was going screeeeeeeeech.

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 3 of 5

Hi natalie-1

I've sent you a PM.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 4 of 5

I will ask one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TT will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes