cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Changing password on TP-Link booster

4 REPLIES
Mustafacatflap
Popular Poster

If I change the password on my TP-link booster (which is hard-wired to a booster with an ethernet cable) will talktalk recognise it or will I have to change the password myself?

Mustaf

Mustafacatflap
Popular Poster

I should have added, I also wanted to know that I have two boosters in this room, both with different passwords, how do I know which password talk talk is reading to?

Mustaf

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Mustafacatflap

You could help me out by advising the model numbers of these two boosters.

I'm currently assuming they're wireless extenders designed to extend the range of the wireless network of your TalkTalk router.  In which case, if you've followed the setting up instructions the wireless network password is normally exactly the same as your router's wireless password. 

You wouldn't normally need to use wireless extenders in the same room though.  What is it that you're expecting to do with these boosters?

You do need to take care in positioning wireless extenders and in the selection of channel, particularly on 2.4GHz wireless extenders. You don't want the extenders to cause interference to the router or vice-versa.

Gondola - I'm a TVPlus customer * Try TalkTalk CallSafe to stop scam calls
Mustafacatflap
Popular Poster

Thankyou for your interest:

You could help me out by advising the model numbers of these two boosters.

I'm currently assuming they're wireless extenders designed to extend the range of the wireless network of your TalkTalk router.  In which case, if you've followed the setting up instructions the wireless network password is normally exactly the same as your router's wireless password. 

I am using the TL-PA4010 as the base and a further two TL-WPA4220s as extenders. As far as I am aware I have set up them correctly as per the instructions. The only thing they asked me to do when I bought them was to 'pair-up' the extenders when I purchased them. (I should note that I bought the two WPA4220s at different times).

I thought 'pair-up' meant they would use the same password, but I was wrong, each extender/base has a different password, although they both work using the same Wifi signal from the router.

Even if I swap the extenders around the room, and connect thr TTbox to different extenders, it doesn't make any difference, the TTbox still works (for anything) requiring the Internet, e.g. iPlayer, Sports etc. It doesn't seem to matter which extender/password it is connected to and I'm very interested to know how it does this.

This is because it would be useful to have everything on the same password - when I move the tablet or mobile etc, from one room to another, the passwords need changing, which is a pain.

If I do eventually manage to change all TL-P link passwords such they are all the same (bit of a nightmare as far as I can see), will this affect the TTbox. or will the TTbox automatically 'see' the new password and carry on as normal?

Cheers, and once again, thanks for your interest.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Mustafacatflap

If you do not have the User Guides then do download them from TP Link Support

As an example, one of the user guides is here: TL-WPA4220

The devices are all PowerLine Adaptors (PLA's).  As part of the same Powerline Network they must all use the same Powerline Network Name and the same Powerline Network password otherwise they will not communicate with each other. 

First use the management utility to set up all PLA's with the same Network Name and Network Password.  If you wish you can use the default Network Name "HomeplugAV" or one of your choice but all 3 PLA's must be the same.

The base unit PowerLine Adaptor TL-PA4010 is connected to the router with Ethernet cable. 

The TL-WPA4220 is both a PowerLine Adaptor and a wireless extender to extend your wireless network to dead spots not covered by your router's wireless network.

If you're simply providing wireless coverage to totally dead spots you can set up the wireless network of each TL-WPA4220 to use the wireless settings on the card that came with each of these PLA's. i.e. you operate independent wireless networks from that provided by the router.

If you're aiming to provide continuous wireless coverage in your home extending the wireless coverage from the router then you can Clone the wireless settings from the router.  The Wireless Name (SSID) and Wireless Password in that case are the same as the router's SSID.  You do need to make sure that the location of each TL-WPA4220 is near the edge of coverage from the router i.e. not too close that the PLA wireless interferes with the router's wireless coverage.

Start with pairing the TL-PA4010 to the first TL-WPA4220 and then pair to the second TL-WPA4220. 

Pairing means to plug the adaptors into main sockets near to each other, press the Pair button on the TL-PA4010 for a second and press the pair button on the first TL-WPA4220 for a second.  Then repeat this complete process to add the second TL-WPA4220.

Here's one of the 3 video guides to help you.

Gondola - I'm a TVPlus customer * Try TalkTalk CallSafe to stop scam calls