cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Losing broadband connection at router

18 REPLIES
des09
Conversation Starter

Since receiving a new router (to solve a different problem) I keep losing the broadband connection at least 3 or 4 times a day. Also speed appears to have significantly dropped. Was getting around 12 or 13 mbps (and better) now around 9 or as low as 6. But never higher.

The router loses the broadband light.

Up until now I've left it a while then rebooted it. But recently left it for longer to see if it restores itself. But it didn't. 

No recent changes (except the router). Got power line adapters and Ethernet link etc. But problem exists standing in front of router, hopefully ruling out external issues.

Any ideas?

Cliddy
Community Team

Hi

I've mad a change to your connection from here, can you see if this helps ?

Also can you check the home phone and see if you have a clear dial tone or any noise on the line?

Thanks

Karl. 

des09
Conversation Starter
Thanks for that. Will test it out. But in answer to your noise on line question, yes a very crackly line for last few weeks!
Cliddy
Community Team

Hi

The broadband shares part of the line for the phone, so any phone (voice) issues will impact the connection and these must be resolved first before the broadband issue can be addressed.

Do you have a Test Socket, and are you able to test a second phone in the master socket or test socket with nothing else connected to verify the noise is still present.

Thanks

Karl. 

des09
Conversation Starter
Hi, the socket looks like an old style. It's got a full size faceplate. I haven't removed it, but is it likely to have a test socket?
Meanwhile tried out 2 phones both have significant crackling into a combination of sockets (main and extension)
To be honest landline phone doesn't get used much (use mobile), so didn't realise the noise was that bad.
But broadband performance is fairly recently bad, so looks like a recent problem to landline.
Cliddy
Community Team

Hi

If it's a solid front  faceplate this will be one of the older LJU sockets without a test socket.

This will require an openreach engineer to look at this, but we have to be careful, as if the fault is caused by the extension socket , loose wires etc, BT class that as your responsibility and will only support the line up to the first or master socket. If the master socket itself is at fault, they will change this.

With that in mind, we can arrange an engineer for you.

Can you please PM the following information.

Full Name.

Home Telephone Number.

Account Holder or Non Account Holder.

If account holder, last 4 digits of payment method.

Please do not post personal information directly in the Forums.

Also, please confirm you accept the BT T&C's :

https://help2.talktalk.co.uk/broadband-wireless/potential-charges-bt-engineer-visit

Can you also provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

We will then arrange the next available requested appointment.

Thanks

Karl.

des09
Conversation Starter
I've sent a PM regarding this ongoing issue. Cheers.
Cliddy
des09
Conversation Starter
I've now just also reported a fault with TT help desk.
Cliddy
Community Team

Hi des09

I've reset the line and DLM and this is now showing sync at 17mb, can you retest.

Thanks

Karl. 

des09
Conversation Starter
I've just sent you a detailed response and status. However it failed again on sending. Losing patience. Here is a shortened version (now running off my mobile)
Speed now running at 14.93 Great.
But still not running consistently.
Tested by myself (and wife) while writing my response and up and down.
Cliddy
Community Team

Hi

OK, then we will have to proceed with the Openreach engineer visit, What Days / Times are best.

Thanks

Karl. 

des09
Conversation Starter
Sorry so long getting back.
Definite yes to Openreach. But a couple of points meanwhile.
Did TT get a closure/job completion from Openreach from their previous visit 2 weeks ago. I reckon they didn't complete the job while I was away.
The callout over the weekend that was cancelled was for someone other than Openreach. Just wonder who they were going to call?
Anyway any time ok for Openreach, I will fit in.
Thanks for your help.
Cheers Dave
Cliddy
Community Team
des09
Conversation Starter
Many thanks.
Cliddy
Community Team
des09
Conversation Starter
Sorry to mess you around.
We've just been running 4 devices plus continual iPlayer for the last 3 hours (to test I stress, that's not our normal behaviour!). With not a single break. Plus the speed remains excellent.
In other words the best it's been for weeks. Not sure what's changed, but something has.
I don't think I can risk a wasted callout, so could you cancel Openreach please.
Again I'm sorry for the disruption, but I wouldn't mind knowing what's happened.
Cliddy
Community Team

Hi

I've cancelled the visit now.  Keep an eye on things and let me know if anything changes.

Thanks

Karl. 

des09
Conversation Starter

Hi, not a big problem at all, but I've recently been getting repeat copies of the last few emails posted here. I don't think it's my email system (as it's only ones from TT). Is it a general problem?
Once again this is a "1st world" problem, one key depression and they're gone after all.

Cliddy
Community Team

Hi 

The email notifications you are seeing from the community are affecting other users also.  I've had a few repeats myself here.  This is an issue with the platform used by our external vendor and this is under investigation.

Thanks

Karl.