would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Lots of problems with TV box

5 REPLIES
Flaxx
First Timer
Have been having the following problems for some time now

1.  When switching on the TV for the first time each day using the Box button, both the TV and the box come on but we nearly always then have to use the Source button to move to the correct HDMI input for the TalkTalk.

2. Having moved to the correct source it then sometimes does not stay on this and we have to repeat the procedure.

3. When it stays on the correct source it takes a long time for the different sources overlay to go away. Pressing OK does nothing but we have discovered that pressing the volume up or down does remove it.

4. When we switch off the box and TV we have to press the Box button and then the TV button twice.

5. When watching some recorded programmes if we go to 30 times fast forward it can take numerous presses of the Play button before it returns to normal speed and the same with fast rewind.

6. Sometimes when we are watching a recording the screen suddenly goes black and stays like this for 10 - 15 seconds, after which it starts playing live TV and we then have to navigate back to the recording we were watching. This has also happened on BBC iplayer.

7. Having finished watching a recording sometimes when we press the Back button it goes to live TV rather than back to the Recordings screen.

Have spoken to technical support  on at least two occasions but they just seem to tell me to update software, which I have now done numerous times, but the auto update is on anyway. I have also restarted the box many times but nothing seems to be a long term fix. Have also tried to do a maintenance reset as suggested elsewhere on the community but each time it tells me that it has failed and I need to select another option.

Would be grateful for any help. Thanks

Thanks
Community Team

Hi

The source issue is usually related to the TV or TV settings.  Some TV's can be set to switch on and default to a specific HDMI source.  I would look through the menus of the TV and see if any source settings can be changed.

If a maintenance reset is failing then the only option going forward is to try the full factory reset from the youview settings menu.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

Flaxx
First Timer

Thanks Karl

I have not replied earlier as I have been monitoring the performance of the box since I did the maintenance reset following your advice.

At first it was better although not all the issues were resolved, but it was tolerable. However it has been getting progressively worse and I have had to do resets on a regular basis, with more of the original issues returning.

Within the last few days it has failed to record some programmes and got stuck on channel 1. I have had to reset the box several times as it only worked briefly until the next problem occurred. These have included not pausing, not rewinding, completely freezing and not being able to play recordings etc. I have now done a software reset at least twice but the problems continue. It now seems that everytime we switch on there are problems and a reset is needed.

This is very frustrating so can you please let me know where we go from here.

Thanks

Community Team

Hi Flaxx

Next option is to swap out the box.  i'll arrange this now.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

Flaxx
First Timer

Thanks very much Karl.

New box received and I have installed. Currently seems to be working OK except that I cannot get it to stay on the Smart start as recommended. Any thoughts.

Thanks again

fre55die
Community Star

@Flaxx

Try setting it to always on then unplug and restart box then try setting it to "smart"

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.