would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Misbehaving DN372T - acting like P+ constantly held down

ANSWERED
12 REPLIES 12
Futaura
Super Duper Contributor

A few days ago I noticed my box was not responding to the remote very well, ignoring most button pressed, but I figured out that double clicking the buttons each time made it respond. Today I then realized that what is happening is that the box thinks the P+ button is constantly being held down - if you get rid of the menus, the channel number on the bottom-left of screen constantly increases.

I have two DN372T boxes, so through elimination, I know both remotes are ok and it is just my box that is malfunctioning. Both boxes have the same software version on them. The serial number of the problem box ends in 8770. I thought that maybe the + button on the box itself had jammed on (not that I ever use it), but pressing and depressing multiple times doesn't help. Holding the P- button down stops the channel changes until I release it.

Any ideas?

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @Futaura 

I should try a Maintenance Reset (option 2) as follows :

Turn the box off, then unplug the power lead for about 10 minutes.

Re-plug in power  lead.

1. Ensure the YouView Box is switched off and is currently connected to the router (the YouView Box will require an internet connection).
  2. Power on YouView using button at the back of the YouView Box.
  3. Start YouView using the power button on the YouView Box front panel and then quickly press and hold both the + and – buttons on the front panel. If you haven’t pressed the buttons together by the time 'YouView Waking Up' is displayed, or you see the 'YouView please wait...' message then try again.
  4. Let go of the + and – buttons once the 'Huawei – Maintenance Mode menu' is displayed.
  5. The + and – buttons on the front panel will navigate the menu. Keep pressing the – button until 2 “factory reset keep recordings” option is highlighted. If you go past the option, simply press the + button to navigate back to the option.
  6. Press the power button on the YouView Box front panel to select the option. This will bring up some information and ask 'Do you want to proceed?'. Press the power button again to confirm.
  7. The YouView Box will now show a progress bar as it downloads software from the internet and installs on the YouView Box. This may take several minutes. Once complete, the YouView Box will restart.
  8. Once the YouView Box restarts, the YouView Box will show the initial setup wizard. You will need to run through the setup wizard including tuning the channels.

You will then need to reset your personal settings (such as parental controls / Antenna Out / Surround Sound etc.) and also reset your scheduled recordings (might be worth taking a note of future recordings before doing this so you don’t miss any).

It is also a good idea to restart your router once you have done this.

IMPORTANT !!!!!!

Could you please ensure that your community profile includes your PHONE NUMBER as OCE's will need this to tie up your screen name to your account. (click on your avatar to view the information > Settings > Launch Profile Wizard,put your phone number in box, then scroll to the bottom of page and click save)

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Community Team

Hi Futaura

Let me know if the maintenance reset option has helped.

Regards,

Karl. 

Futaura
Super Duper Contributor

The maintenance reset procedure is not particularly easy when the + button appears to be jammed on! That said, I managed to get into the menu, but none of the buttons on the front of the box did anything. Fortunately, the remote did work and I was able select option 2. It made no difference though.

My suspicion is that the switch behind the + button on the box has failed and jammed on. The switch still clicks normally and I can stop the channel number constantly increasing by holding the - button on the box down. It's weird though as I never use those buttons - just the power button from time to time. Alternatively, it must be some more serious hardware failure on the mainboard.

Is this a known failure type or something more unique?

Community Team

Hi

This is not a known issue, so is a one off.  Would you like me to swap out the box ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Futaura
Super Duper Contributor

Yes, please - that'd be great.

How long do I get to return the faulty box? (need to catch up on a load of recordings first!)

I should mention that I'm on the TV Box trials, so I guess I will need to inform them of the new serial number, etc?

Community Team
Futaura
Super Duper Contributor

Many thanks for the quick delivery. However, I have a few issues... I am not impressed with the physical condition of the replacement box. The SCART socket was caked in dust, the aerial in socket was bent/dented (I had to use pliers to make it round again so I could insert the cable!) and the glossy front panel looks like somebody has polished it with sandpaper with a marked/white appearance and various dents. It really looks terrible in sunlight. Also, my original box is a DN372T.01.02.P and the replacement is a DN372T.01.01.P - not sure what the difference is other than it is an older version, presumably?

My original malfunctioning box is in perfect physical condition by comparison. If there were no warranty seals, I'd just take the boxes apart and swap the front panels over! But, I don't want to break those seals unless given permission to do so. For those who don't know, I'm quite experienced in testing and repairing PVRs made by Vestel (see my website).

So, what is the next step?

Community Team

Hi

Does the replacement box work correctly ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Futaura
Super Duper Contributor

I'm testing it at the moment - seems to be ok, but I haven't watched any recordings back yet, or really used it at all, to know for certain. Certainly, the issue that I had with my original box is not there on the replacement - the buttons on the front panel all work as intended.

Futaura
Super Duper Contributor

Please excuse my ignorance on this topic - I've had this Youview DN372T box for over 4 years and have had no issues with it until now, so have never had the need to swap the box out before...

Will I get charged for the replacement box? And do I need to return the original faulty box?

The replacement box seems to be working ok, but I am still unhappy with its physical appearance.

Community Team

Hi

You will not be charged for the replacement box and can hold on to the current box.

Thanks

Karl. 

Futaura
Super Duper Contributor

Thanks for the info Karl.

With that in mind, I decided to take the top casing off to see if I could find the fault. All three switches on the front panel tested ok with a multimeter, which ruled out a faulty switch. Surprisingly, the box started to work normally again with the top casing off and it was hard to trigger the problem - it did keep coming back though. I strongly suspect it was a bad connection between the front panel PCB and the mainboard PCB - I disconnected the ribbon cable and reconnected and the box has been working perfectly again ever since. So, perhaps the ribbon cable has a dodgy wire, the connections in plugs were a bit loose or simply a bad connection between the plug and socket.

I will keep an eye on it and report back if the problem returns.

Incidentally, I was a bit baffled by the HDD caddy design, in particular the attempt at vibration reduction. The rubber washers that the HDD is screwed onto are a good idea in principal, but in practice a bit pointless because the HDD is still touching the plastic caddy on 3 edges so vibration sounds travel that way bypassing the anti-vibration washers! Perhaps that can be fed back to Huawei. To work around this, I took this opportunity to fit 4 anti-vibration washers where the caddy itself is screwed to the box - this has now made my box near silent as the casing does not vibrate anymore.