cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Recording 2 channel limit on TV plus box ?

6 REPLIES 6
Bobmo11
Team Player

My Youview box is DN372T01.02.P  running s/w 72.47.119.

I understand the box will not allow you to record 2 freeview channels and watch a different freeview channel at the same time, because it only has two tuners.

Last night at 9pm I recorded channels 1 (BBC1) and 4 (CH4) whilst watching ch3 (ITV).

Both recordings are in the record list and will play correctly.

How has this been achieved ?

A problem shared is a problem halved!!
jackson2uk
Chat Champion
Freeview TV does not discrete channels in the same way that the old analogue system worked. They group multiple TV channels into a multiplex. The tuners decode the multiplexes. Provided that two of the TV channels are on the same multiplex then you can record two channels and view another one.

HTH

Andy
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Bobmo11

Perfectly easily.

Each freeview tuner will be tuned to one digital multiplex. The digital multiplex is a group of programme channels.  You can record a maximum of two programme channels. 

If the freeview channel you wish to watch is also carried in either of the two tuned in digital multiplexes then you'll be able to watch it.

You'll still get a warning message appear and disappear at the top of the screen saying you might not be able to watch the TV channel you're on because two channels are already being recorded.

DigitalUK has a complete list of programme channels and the digital multiplexes (MUX) they're carried on. Click on the MUX heading in the channel list table to see which programme channels are grouped in each digital multiplex.

I hope that's explained the 'bonus' viewing experience.

Gondola - Community support team

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Visionman
Super Duper Contributor

BBC1 & ITV are on the same MUX (BBC A) & CH4 is on MUX D3&4. So because your only watching/recording 2 MUXs with 2 tuners, your box will allow you to record 2 and watch a third.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/channels/channel_listings

Gondola
Community Star

...or if watching and recording in HD, BBC ONEHD, ITVHD and Channel 4HD are all tuned in on the same MUX (BBC B).

Bobmo11
Team Player

Hi Gondola & others,

Thanks very much for all your informative replies.

I think it deserves a wider audience, as I searched both TT & Youview sites and found nothing.

Keep up the good work,

Best regards,

Bobmo11.

A problem shared is a problem halved!!
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Bobmo11

Delighted to help.