Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Second TV Plus Box?

7 REPLIES
briantrumpet1
Popular Poster

Hi - is it possible to buy a second TV Plus Box? My mother has filled up her current one with programmes she wants to keep, but now hasn't any space to record new ones. Or is there another easy solution?

Thanks.

fr8ys
Community Star

Yes you can have 2 boxes hooked up.

However getting another Talktalk box one the same tv will cause conflicts ass the remote will operate both boxes and therefore duplicate every command.

Youyr best bet is to buy a Humax box which will work independently.

I have both boxes in this configuration as do others I know.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps others and saves OCE's time to look at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve.
briantrumpet1
Popular Poster

Thanks. I'm guessing that using a Humax box to record isn't quite as simple as just using the Talktalk box - can it be set up to automatically record series etc.?

fr8ys
Community Star

Yes, if you get a Humax Youview box they work in exactly the same way as your existing one.

You can usually get refurbished ones at a reasonable price from Humax Direct or eBay (new ones are available).

You connect the new box up in the same manner as your existing box. You will need to enable RF loopthroughin the settings menu of both boxes (to ensure the signal gets through to other devices).

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps others and saves OCE's time to look at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve.
fr8ys
Community Star

Oh and just for info, you will, with 2 boxes, see a new facility if you have boosts on your box.

This will allow you to switch your primary box without the OCE's intervention on the forums.

If you try and play a boost you will see a message that informs you that this box is not your primary box. Do you wish to set it as primary.On selecting yes, you will be able to view your boost (or boost recording) on that box. 

One thing to watch for though, is if you have recordings set up to record boost channels, that box must be primary otherwise the recording will fail.

I tend to keep one box for recording boosts and only switch if absolutely necessary (and then switch back as soon as I'm able).

briantrumpet1
Popular Poster
Thanks all - sorry, this has been dormant, and no action taken as yet, as a bit complicated. My brother would prefer just to remove the old HD box and replace it with like-for-like, but the only actual TT HD recorder seems to be an old model on Amazon, for £120. The only thing in the TT Store has a photo of a HD recorder, but the actual item is just a TV box (no HD). It seems odd that there is only one place that will supply the Huawei.

Is the Humax as good as or better than the Huawei that he wants to duplicate?
fr8ys
Community Star

Humax is generally considered to be the better box.

All youview boxes should have HD capability.

briantrumpet1
Popular Poster

Thanks. Will investigate options.