cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

youview box faulty

17 REPLIES
steeeeve
Repeat Guest

Over last few weeks have had sporadic freeview channels. ie tv guide shows channels but when selected error of weak or no tv signal .numerous re-tunes different results channels there then channels missing.aerial used into a tv with freeview tuner built in all channels present at all times. online help went through re-tune process and said it was aerial problem or channel air time,explained had just been watching the channels on fv tv.prior to contacting them just got same answer.if one receiver can get all channels off the same feed as one that can't it is quite obviously faulty.tried to request new box but the chat ended and went to survey.

steeeeve
Repeat Guest

box not getting all freeview channels

steeeeve
Repeat Guest

youview box faulty not getting all freeview channels been through all set up .aerial fine as get all channels on tv with built in receiver plug back into box and channels missing despite numerous re-tunes.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @steeeeve

My first impression is that the TV antenna signal is intermittent due to a connection fault.  Those types of fault could be:

• Antenna cable or sockets - check the plug connections are secure
  • TV Box antenna socket or tuner fault
    Check the signal strength reading - Select BBC1 > Menu > Settings > TV Signal Quality - signal strength needs to be at least 50% preferably more to cope with transmitter reduced power during maintenance

I've drawn this topic to the attention of the TalkTalk Community support team of OCE's and they'll respond to you right here to help you further.

You may have already done this bit but ensure your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your landline phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended). Add, then scroll down and save changes. The Community support OCE's will then be able to link this topic to your TalkTalk service account.

Leave your TV Box connected to the router and the router powered and connected to the line until you hear from the OCE's.  They'll check the router and TV Box and will have options to discuss with you including a replacement TV Box if there's a fault condition detected. 

Gondola - I'm a TVPlus customer * Try TalkTalk CallSafe to stop scam calls
steeeeve
Repeat Guest

all connections for aerial fine as get all channels on fv tv.signal strength will vary as do channels received with each re-tune,done factory reset ,result at end of set up was 60 channels immediately did a re-tune got 148

steeeeve
Repeat Guest
also thanks for your help
Gondola
Community Star

...and the signal strength reading on BBC1 after the retune was which side of 50% more? less?

Bear in mind that if your TV antenna is delivering just the bare minimum needed to reliably tune in channels on the TV Box, typically 40% or thereabouts, it could still be delivering enough for your TV.

So, it is important to know what the signal strength is, as measured by the TV Box.  Select BBC1 > Menu > Settings > TV Signal Quality

Gondola - I'm a TVPlus customer * Try TalkTalk CallSafe to stop scam calls
steeeeve
Repeat Guest
thanks again,one re-tune shows 47% strength 100%quality,next re-tune 36 % and 100% .Five minutes between the two
Community Team

Hi Steeeeve,

I cant see the TV box online, is this currently on and connected to the router ?

Does the TV give an option to see the signal strength of the channels ?

Thanks

Karl. 

steeeeve
Repeat Guest

box is now on and connected to router,signal strength varies with re-tune from 47%down to 36%,thankyou for assistance

Community Team

Hi

does the TV itself show a signal strength for the channels, so not through the youview menus but via the TV Menu.

Thanks

Karl. 

steeeeve
Repeat Guest

yes showing at 70%strength and 100%quality the previous figures were for the set top box thanks

Community Team

Hi

I'm going to swap out the box to see if the tuner is faulty.  The new one will be with you probably tomorrow or friday.

Thanks

Karl. 

steeeeve
Repeat Guest

ok thank you will let you know result

Community Team
steeeeve
Repeat Guest

All sorted get more hd channels as well now,Thanks to Karl and gondolo.

steeeeve
Repeat Guest

all sorted thanks to new box thanks for your help

steeeeve
Repeat Guest
thanks to Gondola