Need help?

Have a no router required check box

Submitted by ITTroll 11-05-2017 | 7 Comments

1. New ideas

2. Investigating

3. Accepted

4. Delivered

Step 2 of 4

I have my own fibre compatible router which I know will work with the TalkTalk service. However during the order process it was not possible to decline the free router. Sending out a router which I will never use is just a waste of time, energy and resources. Why not have an opt out option for expert users? You could even offer them a little discount.

Get more ideas related to: Broadband

Have a no router required check box

I have my own fibre compatible router which I know will work with the TalkTalk service. However during the order process it was not possible to decline the free router. Sending out a router which I will never use is just a waste of time, energy and resources. Why not have an opt out option for expert users? You could even offer them a little discount.

What do you think?
7 Comments
Community Team
Status changed to: Investigating

@ITTroll This sounds like a great idea, I'll raise this over to our Products Team for investigation.

Wizz Kid

Although on the face of it this sounds like a good idea, I imagine having a spare Router is no bad thing. Also, if anything goes wrong It is likely that for fault tracing TT would prefer to be dealing with their own Router?

Conversation Starter

Actual cost of a router made in China is roughly £3. I know , I just been there at the factory.

Team Player

I agree, I have about 4 TT routers here, I don't use any of them!

Participant

To have an ISP issued modem/router is no bad thing when it comes to fault tracing. In my limited experince of other ISP's, it's nearly always been a requirement to use their supplied modem/router when trying to diagnose a line fault.... hopefully, you will never need it.

Community Team

@ITTroll Just a quick update to advise that I've not forgotten about your idea and that I've requested an update from our Products Team.

Team Player

However, if something was to go wrong or a connection issue or fault was being investigated, the terms of recieving potential engineer charges state that you would need to have used the TT supplied equipment in order to rule out any fault, and of course rule out in being charged yourself in this case as a technicality.

I recently had the engineer out to me and had to check all these points before agreeing to get one sent out.