cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

New community login question

jbuchanangb
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 13

Hi. I thought I had navigated the process OK. I followed the process to link my Community login to my "My Account" Login, and I seem to be accessing the Community just fine. There is an icon top right which I can access my profile, and I can read all the boards etc. etc. However all is not OK. When I attempt to use the "Reply" button the URL takes me back to the top of the thread. It does not open a reply window. I have logged out, cleared all cookies, and then use a saved link https://community.talktalk.co.uk/ to aim for the community. This brings up Step 1 of a log in procedure into which I enter the "My Account" email address, with the word CONTINUE greyed out. At no point in my set up process did I go through the sequence to receive a one-off 6-digit code, and I have not encountered a screen asking me to enter one. From the screen with CONTINUE greyed out I can use a different browser tab to login to "My Account", after which https://community.talktalk.co.uk/ brings me into the community, but in this funny state. Any comments on this?

Now surfing from a Dell Inspiron 3881 running Windows 11 and a Qualcomm QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter with Sagemcom FAST 5364 router.
0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Spot on. The links to Community are titled Help or Help & Support.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

davidl1
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 13

Thanks Gondola that explains it very well, so basically you are saying you can sign in to the community by signing in to my account (I assume there is a link) on the my account page.

Kind Regards 

David

Message 3 of 13

Hi David

The Community login and your customer MyAccount have a single sign on process. If your MyAccount/Community email is down then MyAccount accepts Username and Password or a Passwordless login via mobile text code. Community will detect via session cookies that you are signed in via MyAccount and you'll be automatically signed in to Community. 

If your customer MyAccount has multi-factor authentication as an additional security measure then you will use an authenticator app code via your mobile to authenticate the sign in to MyAccount.  When subsequently accessing Community you'll not need to sign in again but you will be asked for the authenticator app code via your mobile for your security.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

davidl1
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 13

I a  inclined to agree there should be an alternative way of obtaining the log in code ie by text as quite often the email service in down, seems strange as several other non talktalk sites send the code by text 

David
0 Likes

Message 5 of 13

I agree, it's more vulnerable to other things not working, @davidl1, even if it's just that emails can be slow to come in sometimes rather than a service being down altogether - it can take several attempts if email is playing up. We are rather trapped by having to use the My Account email address as the ID.

I don't think some people realised what they were asking for when they used to complain about the forum requiring separate sign in details. Most of the time we are not necessarily needing to involve My Account, unless it's specifically a billing issue, so a very few people were really inconvenienced by having to add their details (just once) in the forum. 

And most staff still seem to require people to do this. They don't seem to easily access the My Account information from here unless it's been added to the community profile separately. 

It coincides however with Talktalk creating the sign in with pin number option for My Account. However, My Account doesn't seem to preclude the choice of simply using a password and user name for that, so perhaps the same could have been done on the forum, @StephenF?

StephenF has mentioned also setting it up eventually to make it possible to receive the pin number by text - but that is also vulnerable to loss of signal on mobiles, network outages and sometimes having to switch the mobile off and back on again in the hope of reconnecting to the network  - after all of which the original 10 minute window of opportunity may have vanished!

Somehow I don't think that Talktalk is going to roll this back altogether, but, as you say, @davidl1, it would be good to have the reliable option of the old sign in method, which was so much quicker to use on a daily basis. If one was using the remembered password option on a device it took a split second to get in. This is cumbersome and slow by comparison. 

I believe we can also reach the forum via My Account now, so that is a fallback solution, @davidl1.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

jbuchanangb
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 13

There's no connection between email logins and the new community login. I never use the web browser interface for email anyway, except when looking into possible misbehaviour. (Mail server possibly down, or to mark something as spam.) The new community log in is linked to the "My Account" login. Apart from the difficulty which I had at first, as referred to in this thread and now resolved, I am finding the Community working OK.

Now surfing from a Dell Inspiron 3881 running Windows 11 and a Qualcomm QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter with Sagemcom FAST 5364 router.
0 Likes

davidl1
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 13

I am not sure if the new community log in is a good idea. In my opinion you should be able to log in using your name and password as well.

My reason is that in the event of an emai failure how do you gain access to the forum for help, just a thought 

Regards 

David

jbuchanangb
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 13

After sending a PM to @StephenF he has been able to replicate the fault condition, has escalated to someone who could fix it, and ahs today advised me that I am able to reply to a thread here in the Community. This reply to my original thread is a test to prove that the problem has been sorted!

Message 9 of 13

just coming back and trying to log in to this exciting new development, I thought it was easy enough without having to log in to any account other than the community and without authentication codes.  I guess for the times i log in it's not going to be a great problem, but I rarely need to log in to my account and always use the wrong email and password so have to look it up.

0 Likes

StephenF
Community Manager
Staff
Private Message
Message 10 of 13

Hey @jbuchanangb,

Thanks for the post. I wont lie I'm not really sure I follow what you're doing or the issue. If you dont "LOGOUT" then your session will remain active for a period of time as such logging back in doesn't always need you to log in. For example if you log into myaccount and navigate to community home page you'd see the login icon in the top right but clicking it would auto log you in as it can see and use your active session. If you'd navigated to an area of the site that needed you to be logged in it would have done so automatically. 

We are looking at how we optimise this so that it automatically shows that your logged in so you dont have to click the login icon but that requires some work which we'll be picking up in the new year. 

Is this the same as what you're explaining? If not can you list the steps, "step by step" exactly what your doing and seeing along with any images if they help, if you dont want to post them in the thread you can PM them to me and post the steps in the thread so we can replicate and validate if this is expected or not. 

thanks 

Stephen, Community Manager
0 Likes

GerryMac
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 13

Hi... Try logging just into your My Account. I had problems setting this up too but found if I click Help in Accounts It,s takes me to Community, amongst others and I,m able to post. That,s without entering a 6 digit code.

Just now before I tried to post now, I was given the Log-In page for my email and received the code.

Cheers.

YNWA-JFT 97

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 13

Seems a bit odd, @jbuchanangb.

I'll flag it up in the hope that staff can work out what was going on.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes