cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Access to Port 445 blocked

ettasimone
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 33 of 33

I'm working from home and my work IT have said that I need access to Port 445 in order to access the work drives and that this has been blocked by my internet service provider. Can someone help

Lore
0 Likes
32 REPLIES 32

Message 1 of 33

Hi Loretta

I'm so glad to hear this, thanks for letting us know 🙂

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 33

Hi, I have just tested and it worked, I can access the Drive I need to access. Thank you for your help. 

Lore

Message 3 of 33

Hello,

We've made an additional change to the firmware. Please can you try retesting the VPN again and letting us know how you get on.

Thanks

Message 4 of 33

Hi Loretta

Sorry for the delay. I'm still waiting on additional information from our Devices Team.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 5 of 33

Hi Loretta

I'm just checking with our Devices Team to see if there is anything else we can try.

I will post back shortly.

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 33

Hi @ettasimone 

Did you ask your employer which VPN client (the software you use on your PC to connect to your work's network) they have installed on your PC? If I know which one it is, I might be able to test it on my PC (I don't want any details about your work).  I will try to test it on a public server somewhere.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 7 of 33

Hi, I have just checked this morning and it is already set to medium. 

Lore
0 Likes

Message 8 of 33

HI Loretta

Did you try the different firewall settings?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 33

HI Loretta

If you log into the router admin page using the router admin password from the back of the router.

Under internet settings / advanced settings / access control. 

Dashboard - see Wi-Fi settings - manage advanced settings - access control - firewall.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 33

Thanks, how do I change my router settings?

Lore
0 Likes

Message 11 of 33

HI Loretta

Your IT department will install software (vpn client) on your laptop.

We don't block VPN but we did have an issue with the previous firmware and certain VPN clients. This has since been resolved with the latest update to your router firmware.

One last thing I can suggest is to check the firewall level in your router settings. If this is set to high then please can you try changing this to medium?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 12 of 33

Hi, can you explain what you mean by VPN client. I don't know what that means. I am using a VPN. 

Lore
0 Likes

Message 13 of 33

Hi, I did respond when you asked this, I said I am using a VPN, and I don't know what you mean by client. I don't work in IT so that doesn't mean anything to me. 

Lore
0 Likes

Message 14 of 33

Hi @ettasimone 

Please can you confirm which VPN client you are using?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 33

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk I did ask exactly this back in post #14, but I have had no response from @ettasimone on this.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 33

Hi

We don't block ports. Are you using a VPN client on the laptop?

0 Likes

Message 17 of 33

Hi, I am working on a company laptop at home. 

Lore
0 Likes

Message 18 of 33

Hi, I powered down my router this morning for 30 minutes, IT still say I don't have access to Port 445. This is what they have said:

Unfortunately the port still hasn't been opened for you. At this point I'd provide this screen shot and explain the work that they've carried out hasn't worked. Additionally, if you ask them to provide proof to us that they have opened it, this should give us a good idea as to whether they have tried to open the port.

Thanks

Loretta

Lore
0 Likes

Message 19 of 33
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 33

Hi @ettasimone 

Just to confirm, we have been working on the assumption that you are trying to access resources at work via TCP port 445 and not something on a PC at home from work. Is this correct? The direction of the connection to port 445 is crucial to understand your problem & rectify it.

Keith

0 Likes