cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Black Hub DNS Setting

ProfessorPolygon
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 12 of 12

Hi,

I have recently joined TalkTalk and been sent a WiFi Black Hub (DG8041W) router. I am looking to change the DNS settings and looking at previous forum posts that is not possible with this router. Is there an update to firmware maybe or could the standard WiFI hub be sent please as it is REALLY important to my setup to be able to change the DNS. 

Many thanks!

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 12

Try a WiFi analyser to help identify which channels are most congested. Also, consider splitting the SSIDs as explained here:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Split-your-router-s-SSID-wireless-network-name/ta-p/230...

Message 2 of 12

Hi ProfessorPolygon,

Our product team have confirmed that your can change the DNS server in the wifi hub black settings as per the instructions. The DNS setting is under LAN but it still works as it should it's just listed in the wrong section

As ferguson has advised, wifi optimisation currently only works on the Sagemcom. Your connection stats are showing local wifi congestion so changing to another channel may improve wifi connectivity 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 3 of 12

Hmm,

That's odd. I'm fully aware that I have to hit the apply button after changing the setting since I have changed the channel before and it has stuck for a number of hours to days but after checking later it shows that the channel has changed again. I'll test again.

Is there any advice you could please provide to help me with the WiFi coverage problem? Like I said it's quite urgent as I can't work. I was going to start a new thread which I can do if that's better. I just want to be able to get a connection on the top floor of my town house like I did with the bt smart hub. Didn't think a router would struggle since I've never had that issue before.

I used to have your super router years ago when I was previously with talk talk which I don't have anymore. That router never had these issues either so seems its the Huawei router. I haven't changed the layout of my house either, everything is the same. I just want to test your alternative router. I shouldn't have to go out and purchase a new router from a third party just to get a decent WiFi connection in my house. I hope you understand where I'm coming from. 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 12

The Huawei Hub does not have WiFi optimisation. Make sure that you click Apply after changing any WLAN settings. 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

Thanks.

I look forward to the confirmation. 

I'm also having issues with WiFi coverage not reaching the top of my town house which is causing a real issue for me and my son. My office is up there and his bedroom is up there so neither of us get a reliable connection. Downstairs it's fine but just doesn't reach that far. I actually have the router on a cabinet so it's already raised up on the ground floor. 

Could the WiFi channel optimisation please be disabled for me so I can change the channel and test further. I tried changing the channel but it reverts back I believe when checked with a WiFi analyser app. 

I think it's the router though since on any channel its the same problem. Never had these issues with my bt smart hub previously but since moving to talktalk with this Huawei router it's not got the range to reach my top floor. Real problem. 

Is there any chance at all your other hub could be sent to test? I work from home so not having a reliable connection is quite bothersome as I'm not even able to join team zoom calls right now. 

Many thanks. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 12

Hi ProfessorPolygon,

A colleague on the Community Team has also confirmed that the settings work fine too but I'll confirm this with our product team and get back to you

Chris

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 12

@ProfessorPolygon I use those settings on my Huawei Hub and they work just fine. I must demur from the learned Keith French on this occasion. 

0 Likes

ProfessorPolygon
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 8 of 12

Thanks for the info. 

I am going to refer to previous posts claiming this can't be done in the way I want. For example:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre/TalkTalk-Wi-Fi-Hub-Black-DNS-Settings/m-p/2842354

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre/Wi-Fi-Hub-Black-Router-Huawei-DG8041W-3rd-Party-DNS/m-p/26...

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre/Altering-dns-settings-black-Wi-fi-hub/m-p/2731551

You can see that is has been confirmed that the way I want to set a custom dns should be within the WAN settings area on this router not via the LAN>DHCP settings page.

Could a Sagemcom router be sent please as I am desperate to use it in the way I want. The second link I provided shows the settings page you are directing me to but that isn't what I'd like to do as previously explained. 

I have quoted KeithFrench from that thread below: 

"I take it that you mean the fact that you can't change the internet connectivity area to use a DNS server of your choice (e.g. Google DNS)? You do not set this in the DHCP config. The developers are well aware of this shortcoming."

Then in a further post he states the following:

"That is what I said in my last post, there is nowhere currently to enter a different network DNS server.

The DHCP settings for DNS should only hand out the router's IP address, as normally that is your DNS server on your local network. You can change this, but only if you have another DNS server on your local network. This is not the case with most people's installation.

The best thing to do is to wait for new firmware when hopefully the DNS server used by the router will be user-configurable. I would guess that it might be at:-

Dashboard > See Internet Settings > Manage advanced settings > Advanced Configuration WAN > WAN Configuration

The danger with handing out the network DNS server (e.g. Google DNS) via DHCP is that you end up with an inefficient DNS resolution.

Whilst I have the ability to feed bugs up to the developers, I only know when there is new firmware when it is released for everyone. Only then can I go through it to see what has been fixed."

0 Likes

Message 9 of 12

Hi ProfessorPolygon,

Welcome to the Community. You should be able to change the DNS servers, please see - Using 3rd Party DNS - TalkTalk Help & Support

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

ProfessorPolygon
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 10 of 12

Hi 

Thanks for the reply but that is not what I am looking for I think. You can't change to a custom network DNS server in the DG8041W router from my research. The options under the DHCP settings are not the ones I need. I need to set a custom network DNS server for example Google DNS.

Could I get a router that fits my requirements please? From previous posts I can see the Sagemcom router is able to do this.

I believe KeithFrench is aware of the issue as he has recently posted confirming it is not possible on the DG8041W router.

Kind regards

Jayesh Ranavaya

0 Likes

Piethorne
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 12

Login > Manage my Devices > Manage Advanced Settings > Continue > Advanced Configuration > Lan Configuration > DHCP Server Configuration.

Change the Primary and secondary DNS servers to something appropriate (https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/best-dns-server) and click "Apply"

Check with something like https://www.dnsleaktest.com/ or https://www.top10vpn.com/tools/what-is-my-dns-server/

NOTE 1: This has been more fully explained by @KeithFrench in the sticky post at the top of the main page. Privacy warning - this network is blocking encrypted DNS traffic

NOTE 2: Many devices such as computers, smart TV's, Network Attached Storage etc allow you to set their DNS server configurations individually, so it's wise to ensure they're set to "automatic" if you want to use the hub to do the routing.

I'm just a customer who might be able to help, not official help & support.
0 Likes