cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Cannot log in to router, Sagecom Fast 5364

ChrisWhite
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 12 of 12

Last week my router suddenly and unexpectedly disconnected. It then went through the start up cycling of flashing amber then amber and white but never going steady white. Eventually I performed a factory reset and it reconnected. I then restored my last saved configuration and it went back to cycling through the flashing without managing to connect.

I performed another factory reset and proceeded to manually put back in my own configuration, changed admin password, changed IP address, changed WiFi name and password, set up DHCP reservations. After a power cycle restart, I switch the router off when not in use, I am unable to login using either the new password I have set or the default printed on the information panel. It's a little odd in that I don't get a message saying the credentials are incorrect but instead saying, "Communication error with the gateway".

This is incredibly annoying as the only way to make any configuration changes to the router is to factory reset using the button then manually enter the entire configuration again.

I don't know if the router has developed a fault or there's been a software update pushed out with a bug in it.

Chris White
0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Hi Chris

I have ordered a pre-paid returns bag, please allow 48hrs for this to arrive.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 12

Nope, no bag so I'd appreciate if someone could arrange for one to be sent to me, thanks.

Chris White

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 12

You should have a returns bag with the new router that allows for free postage back to Bilton Way Enfield. Just take it to your nearest Post Office & it will not cost you anything. If you do not have a bag, TalkTalk will send you one if you ask them to.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 4 of 12

Old router has been working ok for a couple of days now so I'd like to return the new one. There's an address on the paperwork in the box but that says it's for recycling which would seem unwarranted for an almost new item which has no faults. Is there an alternative address to which I can return it? Also there's no mention as to the carrier to use or who pays, given it was a software fault and hence not my fault I don't see why I should pay.

Chris White
0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the information. If both routers appear to be performing the same could you retun the new one

Thanks
Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 12

Well I've come up with a solution but the replacement router exhibited exactly the same behaviour so it would appear to be a bug in the most recent firmware. To summarise:

Old router replaced with new router;

Default login ok;

Last saved configuration uploaded to new router;

Unable to log in to new router, "Communication error with the gateway".

Factory reset new router;

Default login ok;

Changed admin password;

Soft restart router;

New login ok;

Change IP from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.123.254;

New login, "Communication error with the gateway";

Default login,  "Communication error with the gateway";

Power off restart router;

New login, "Communication error with the gateway";

Default login,  "Communication error with the gateway".

Default login ok;

Change IP from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.123.254;

Default login,  "Communication error with the gateway";

Default login,  "Communication error with the gateway".

Default login ok;

Change IP from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.123.1;

Default login ok;

Soft restart router;

Default login ok;

Changed admin password;

New login ok;

Soft restart router;

New login ok;

New login ok.

So by the look of it the latest firmware won't let you log in with an IP address ending in ".254".

I've not yet verified the working configuration with the old router. If that works do you want me to return the old or the new router?

Chris White
0 Likes

Message 7 of 12

Morning,

How are you getting on? Is everything now ok?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 12

OK, I've ordered the router, it should be with you within a couple of days

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 12

Yes please.

Chris White
0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 10 of 12

Hi Chris,

As Keith says, it sounds like the router could be faulty, would you like me to send another to test with?

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 12

That sounds like it is a faulty router. I will ask TalkTalk to consider swapping it out for you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes