cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Archer vr400 no dsl

Rjb990
Visitor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 8

Hi there, I'm on 150 mb fibre and am trying to use a tplink ac1200 modem/router for dsl, lan, and WiFi.

I cannot get the DSL working on it no matter what I try, it tells me every time to check my phone cable is connected. I'm using the same cable from my talktalk gear, plugged into the dsl port on the vr400 but get nowhere. I can get a WiFi and ethernet connection to it, but not a byte out of the fibre. Any get massively appreciated, thank you.

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Wow. Always something new to learn or get caught out by. Oh well - thanks for your help.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 8

Formal specifications have been published as ITU-T G.997.2, G.9700, and G.9701, with approval of G.9700 granted in April 2014 and approval of G.9701 granted on December 5, 2014:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.fast 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

I'm doing some searches to see what kind of connection the 150 g fast is, but in the meantime:

VDSL2 Standards

ITU G.993.2, Up to 17a profile (POTS)
ITU-T G.993.5 (G.vector)
ITU-T G.998.4 (G.INP)

ADSL Standards

Full-rate ANSI T1.413 Issue 2,
ITU-T G.992.1(G.DMT),
ITU-T G.992.2(G.Lite),
ITU-T G.994.1 (G.hs),

ADSL2 Standards

ITU-T G.992.3 (G.DMT.bis)

ADSL2+ Standards

ITU-T G.992.5

Is any of this compatible? It can also do VLANs. Of course I'm not sure if it can support a talktalk connection, but the sticker on the box says it can!

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 8

No worries, it was just that as Fibre 150 is often delivered over Full Fibre and you had posted in this board, that is what I assumed that you had, as you didn't say anything to the contrary.

It would sound like you have a G.Fast connection then.

From my theoretical knowledge (I have never had a G.Fast service), the DSL port of the MT992 G.Fast modem connects to the incoming line at the master socket, in the normal manner. From there the LAN port of the modem connects to the WAN port of your router.

Not knowing any 3rd party routers in great detail, does your router have a DSL port that supports G.Fast (not VDSL2)? It would also need to support a connection to the TalkTalk network as well. This would probably include WAN configuration options such as VLANs.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 8

Hello thanks for responding. I'm a little confused, and will give some more detail now I'm not as frustrated... and sorry it's on the wrong forum, I couldn't find the exact name of my fibre anywhere.

A couple of years ago, I had a 75mbps connection:

Talktalk -> wall connection -> Talktalk wifi hub Sagecom "Fast 5364-3 T8". I can't remember how the wall connection terminated in this, whether DSL or WAN.

I now have a 150mbps connection:

Talktalk -> wall connection (that was upgraded by an engineer) -> DSL  -> open reach mt992 -> LAN/WAN -> Talktalk wifi hub Sagecom "Fast 5364-3 T8". 

My wall connection has a standard phone socket (RJ11?) and a slimmer than ethernet socket for DSL that plugs into the DSL on both the MT992 and VR400.

I thought the VR400 I purchased would be able to take the existing DSL and remove the open reach and Sagecom, and am not sure why it doesn't work this way. I still need to use the DSL -> mt992 -> LAN/WAN -> Archer VR400. (The sagecom stopped giving out wifi)

I’m going away for a few days in case there are any responses – thanks!

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 8

The Openreach unit that you mention is a modem only, not a router & is not compatible with full fibre at all. I am assuming that you have full fibre & not G.Fast, as you have created this thread in the full fibre board.

Your full fibre connection terminates with the ONT. From there an ethernet cable is used to connect to the router's Ethernet WAN port - if it has one. It does not use DSL technology.

Keith

0 Likes

Rjb990
Visitor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 8

Previous router is open reach mt992. If there's a different cable connection permutation, I have tried it! 

0 Likes