cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Home automation

basin-bob
Participant
Private Message
Message 25 of 25

Hello all

Need some help please.

Having problems with home automation, worked fine with previous supplier (Voda) but now all kinds of problems such as intermittent working or just not working at all. Pairing sometimes but then disconnects and fails then will not pair with the network.

I think this is to do with the 2.4 and 5 ghz ability of the router. The home automation needs 2.4 and the router is not smart enough to know that the item will not work on 5 ghz. 

I think the random working is on the occasion that the router does connect at 2.4 ghz.

the Voda router seems to have been able to decipher what the home automation item required. 

any ideas please

0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 25

I have just sent you the PM @basin-bob 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 25

Morning Keith

had a message to say it’s enabled. 

Message 3 of 25

Hi basin-bob and @KeithFrench

PM's show as enabled.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 25

Yes.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 25

Will do, I assume they will let me know it’s activated. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 25

Let me know when the PMs have been enabled then.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 7 of 25

Hi Keith

thanks and yes please, I would still like to check and learn how to check for interference. Especially as I have more time now it’s working, the pressure is off.  

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 25

The level of WiFi interference can change minute by minute. You don't have to check it, but my help is totally free.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 9 of 25

Update this morning.  

I have managed to get all of my home automation working again. I am not at this stage going to declare its fixed as I have been here before. I have re-named the 2.4 and 5 ghz bands, which to be honest made little difference. 
what made the biggest difference was the addition of a TP Link extender. Once plugged in a suitable location everything was able to reconnect.
As I say, I have been here before, so I am currently watching this space, but at the moment is pointing toward the inability of the TT Black hub to provide a usable signal very far at all. Certainly on 2.4 ghz which should travel furthest. 
yes it may well be interference, but if that is the case, why was the Voda and BT hubs able to get over the problem. fingers crossed this continues to work.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 25

Appreciate that sir, but these devices have been working fine for over two years connecting them in line with the instructions on their app, on both a Voda router and a BT router. The only difference to my setup is the TT black router made by Huawei.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 25

Normally the default gateway address is allocated to the device by the router once it connects to the WiFi, or on some devices, it can be statically configured on the device itself. Without a default gateway IP address (this will in effect be the IP address of the router), the device will not know how to route IP packets out to the internet & hence they will have no internet access.

You will have to consult the documentation about these devices or contact the manufacturer's tech support to find out how you can check this.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 12 of 25

Thanks again Keith

sorry, missed the bit about you asking TT about PM for me.

“Are these devices being allocated a default gateway IP address from the router?”
Sorry not skilled enough to know the answer to this. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 25

As I said in my last post, I have asked TalkTalk to enable PMs for you.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 14 of 25

Hi Keith

already added the broadband phone number and an alternative mobile along with first and last name on my personal profile. Can you please advise how I enable PM please. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 25

Hi @basin-bob 

Currently, I can't send you a PM as you do not have PM's enabled on your Community account. Please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details. I will ask TalkTalk to enable PMs for you.

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 25

Are these devices being allocated a default gateway IP address from the router?

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 17 of 25

Hey Keith

Yes please to the guide, I am sure it will be helpful.

have you read the last update I posted. I think it’s something to do with the individual items that are not working being unable to gain access to the internet. I.e. I can now get them connected to the router but not the internet. Could this be a router security issue.

I temporarily moved one of the bulbs very close to the router, but no difference.

if interference is causing any issues it would kind of have to be from my own equipment as my nearest neighbour’s are about 1/2 a click away. 

thanks for your help. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 25

Hi @basin-bob 

There may well be differences for some devices compared to others as they may well be in different areas of your property & even if they are close to a working one, there is no guarantee that their WiFi signals route the same way through the house. The level of WiFi interference throughout the house may well vary.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, no internet access or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

0 Likes

basin-bob
Participant
Private Message
Message 19 of 25

Latest position is that I have now re-named the 5ghz channel and for now turned it off, as when I was trying to set up one of the bulbs, half way through the process my iPad I was disconnecting from 2.4 and joining 5. So now I have a 2.4 device being set up on a router only offering 2.4 using an iPad on 2.4, but it’s still not working.

what I have noticed however, is that when you add the device and are asked to go to wifi settings and connect to it, before going back to the app to connect it to the network, or at least try.  The device is not being allowed to connect to the internet. Underneath the names of the device (for example it might be LED-xxxxxxx) underneath it in settings wifi, it says “no internet connection”.

I think this is the problem, because I believe these devices register with a manufacturer server somewhere and if they have no internet connection, they cannot achieve that. I could be wrong of course. 

any help guys. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 25

Hi @basin-bob 

I will help anyone I can, but I have to insist that these are separate threads one per customer per problem, as these can have a very individual resolution to the problem.

Keith

0 Likes