cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Mobile phone does not connect to WIFI

GeorgeG
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 9 of 9

Hi all, was hoping for some advice. My mobile can no longer connect to the home WIFI. Phone has been validated as not faulty and can connect to other WIFI connections and hotspots - just not to our home router. Everything else on WIFI in the house works without any connectivity issues. Every now and then it will pick up the Router Extension but connects without Internet.

I have tried resetting the router but makes no difference. Up until a few weeks ago it connected without any problems. No setting have been changed and all other devices and phones work without any problems. I even reset the mobile phone back to factory settings but still the same issue.

Any ideas given the phone was tested by an engineer this morning who found no hardware or software faults and proved that he was able to connect to WIFI and hotspots without any issues. He suggested a Router issue but cannot understand why all other devices continue to work with no issues.

Thanks

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 9

That sounds like Wi-fi interference to me.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 2 of 9

Hi Keith,

I have disconnected the Netgear EX 6120 and reset the router. This has now allowed the Samsung A12 mobile to connect back onto the WiFi and working perfectly.

Not sure why this is the case as the Netgear device has been in the conservatory for at least 2 years and the issue with the mobile phone onky started a couple of weeks ago. Nothing else has changed for it to no longer be able to connect.

Good news is the issue is resolved but means I cannot connect my music system to WiFi in the conservatory as too far from the router. I guess I will need to find another solution to be able to connect the music system. 

Many thanks for your help and advice. I didn't even consider the Netgear device as a potential issue so thanks for pointing that out.

Regards,

George

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 9

Hi @GeorgeG 

The NETGEAR Wi-Fi EX6120 would seem to be a repeater, not an extender. From what I can find out it simply connects back to the router, via the router's WiFi. This is unlikely to give satisfactory results, as it broadcasts out a signal in all directions, including back to the router. If this uses the same WiFi channel as the router (as most repeaters do), then this can cancel the router's WiFi signal out, leaving the repeater isolated from the router.

With your problem though this might appear to be your problem, but it can cause extra WiFi interference, which might well be why you cannot connect on the 2.4GHz band.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 9

Hi Keith,

Thanks for coming back to me.

It is the Huawei DG8041W hub

The extender is a NETGEAR Wi-Fi EX6120

Looked at the settings and can see that Band 1(2.4GHz) has 2 devices connected via Wi-Fi and Band 2(5GHz) has 4 devices connected via Wi-Fi.

Many thanks,

George

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 9

Hi @GeorgeG 

There are three different WiFi Hubs:-

1. Sagemcom FAST 5364
  2. Sagemcom FAST 5464 (Hub 2)
  3. Huawei DG8041W

Which one do you have? This information is located on the label behind the pull-up panel.

You mention a WiFI extension, exactly what is this (make & model)?

From a quick search of the Wi-Fi specifications of this phone, it only supports 802.11b/g/n, which means only the 2.4GHz band. Do you know which WiFi bands the other devices are connected to? You can find this out by logging on to the router by typing this address in your browser's address bar:-

You'll need a username of admin and the router password which is also on the label behind the pull-up panel.

Then use any of the initial three options to get to the advanced menu. There in the two Sagemcom models will be a device listing, identifying the bands that the devices are connected to. If you have the Huawei, then it is:-

Dashboard > See Internet Settings > Manage advanced settings > System Info > User Device Information

Keith

0 Likes

Message 6 of 9

Hi Keith,

It is the TalkTalk Wi Fi Hub

Yes correct password as all 4 of the families mobiles connect as do their gaming machines and Amazon Fire Stick, etc. 

It is a Samsung A12. It does not even detect the main router. Every now and then it detects the Wi Fi extension but never with internet access.

Many thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 9

Hi Keith,

It is the TalkTalk Wi Fi Hub

Yes correct password as all 4 of the families mobiles connect as do their gaming machines and Amazon Fire Stick, etc. 

It is a Samsung A12. It does not even detect the main router. Every now and then it detects the Wi Fi extension but never with internet access.

Many thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 9

Please can you answer these questions & then hopefully I will be able to help you:-

1. What make/model of router are you using?
  2. I know this will seem daft, but are you using the correct wifi password?
  3. Does your phone detect the router's WiFi?
  4. If so, which band(s) are detected (2.4 or 5GHz)? Your phone may not support the 5GHz band, but not knowing which phone you have, I do no know its Wi-Fi specification.

Keith

0 Likes