cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

No internet connection

Chinchilli
Participant
Private Message
Message 24 of 24

I have been unable to connect to the internet for the past 24 hours.

have tried resetting my router but it has made no difference.

Logging into my router tells me that the DSL cable is not plugged in, although it is.

Does this mean I need a new DSL cable?

0 Likes
23 REPLIES 23

Message 1 of 24

Morning,

I'm really glad to hear this and thanks for confirming 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 24

Hello,

I am pleased to report that I have installed the router and am now reconnected to the internet.

Thanks to all who have helped

Message 3 of 24

Hello,

How are you getting on? Has the router arrived?

Thanks 🙂

0 Likes

Message 4 of 24

Hi Chinchilli

Yes of course. The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Please can you test the new router directly at the test socket using the new cables and filter.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie 🙂

Chinchilli
Participant
Private Message
Message 5 of 24

Hi Debbie,

No, I have not been sent a replacement router - could you arrange this?

Thank you 

Message 6 of 24

Hi Chinchilli

Thanks for confirming that you have tested directly at the test socket.

Have we sent you a replacement router for testing? This would be the last check before arranging an Openreach engineer visit.

Debbie

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 7 of 24

Ok, well if there is no centre section as shown in that picture I posted above then that should mean you are plugged into the test socket, so if it is still not working in there then at least that proves it is not a fault with the wiring in your home. The support team here will be able to help more tomorrow, they will be able to run more tests on your line, but if that comes back clear then they may suggest sending you a replacement router to try.

Just checking, when you say you have plugged directly into the test socket, you have to have a microfilter on the end of the grey cable, I'm assuming you do have one connected, as that is the only way it will fit properly in the test socket.

Chinchilli
Participant
Private Message
Message 8 of 24

Thank you for your help.

Have tried unscrewing the two screws - only the bottom section came away- and plugged the router directly into the socket- still not working.

So at least I’m a bit further forward.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 9 of 24

I found an old pic, I thought it might be one of these :

Skynet_TX_1-1654635884022.png

But yes @ferguson you are quite right, you should only remove those two screws on the front and then pull away the bits that easily come away, but if it is like the one in this image you may find that two sections come away, and if this is the case you have to pull both of those section away to access the test socket underneath, as plugging the router into the socket in that middle part of the image will not work.

@ferguson you can see in that image above that the middle section has the data port at the top, so the port at the bottom is pre filtered voice only, so you have to remove that section to get to the test socket underneath, the section fitted to the wall then only has that one unfiltered test socket.

I don't see many of these sockets around, but they always catch people out as they try to use that socket on the middle section as the test socket, and that will never work, as it is prefiltered voice only.

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 24

The DSL socket always remains fixed in the picture that the poster sent us, I didn't want them to think that bit should come away!

Message 11 of 24

Think it depends on the style of socket, I've seen versions of that FTTC socket where the ports are top and bottom (rather than side by side) where there are two sections of the socket that you have to remove, I thought from the image that it might be one of those sockets. But yeah, you just need to pull away as many sections as easily come away, and the test socket should be under that.

I did find an article somewhere that showed pictures of how to access the test socket on the FTTC socket that had two pull away sections, I'll see if I can find it again.

Message 12 of 24

@Skynet_TX wrote:

Ok, your FTTC master socket will have a test socket inside, if you can undo the two screws on the front of the socket then that bottom section can be gently pulled away, the top section that has the data socket on should also then pull away, you should then be able to see a standard phone socket, if you connect the router to that using a microfilter then that is connecting your router directly to the phone line that come into your property, so if it still doesn't work in that test socket then that at least eliminates any of the home sockets / wiring being the cause.

If the support team here have tested the line and can't see any issues, and it still doesn't work in the test socket, then it could well be a fault with the router or cable, the support team here will be able to help further, but if they did suspect an issue with the router or cable they would be able to arrange a replacement for you.

Spot on buddy, apart from "the top section that has the data socket on should also then pull away." It won't, it will remain in place, but will be disabled by removing the faceplate. Just to make it clear for the poster. 

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 13 of 24

Ok, your FTTC master socket will have a test socket inside, if you can undo the two screws on the front of the socket then that bottom section can be gently pulled away, the top section that has the data socket on should also then pull away, you should then be able to see a standard phone socket, if you connect the router to that using a microfilter then that is connecting your router directly to the phone line that come into your property, so if it still doesn't work in that test socket then that at least eliminates any of the home sockets / wiring being the cause.

If the support team here have tested the line and can't see any issues, and it still doesn't work in the test socket, then it could well be a fault with the router or cable, the support team here will be able to help further, but if they did suspect an issue with the router or cable they would be able to arrange a replacement for you.

Chinchilli
Participant
Private Message
Message 14 of 24

Phone is working OK and dialling 17070 gives the correct number 

Tried plugging the grey cable in both the bottom and top socket- neither worked!

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 15 of 24

Is the landline phone working ok, if you dial 17070 does it read back the correct phone number (i.e. the phone number shown in 'My Account').

Also, to try the router in that master socket you would have to plug the grey cable from the router directly into the top socket, if you plug it into the bottom socket using the microfilter that won't work.

Chinchilli
Participant
Private Message
Message 16 of 24

F0C2B8B1-0998-4A22-A60F-3B7301ADDDD8.jpeg

83083BB2-8A02-4FDD-BC46-725C0761CBB8.jpeg

O

92E164A8-0950-40D6-864A-599F2FB1384E.jpeg

   

Have now located the master socket- looks like the FTTC.

Have tried plugging the router directly into the master socket but still unable to connect to the internet 

Message 17 of 24

Hi Chinchilli

Thank you 🙂

Do you have any other sockets in the property or just that one?

0 Likes

Chinchilli
Participant
Private Message
Message 18 of 24

129605A5-35D2-401B-A6B9-0E1551DD66A0.jpeg

 Took this photo last night of the socket my router is plugged into. Will be able to get a better photo of the socket when I get home this evening.

I can tell you the power light is on on the router and the wireless light is flashing, but all other lights are off.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 24

Hi Chinchilli

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Would it be ok to post a photo of your master socket and current set up on this thread?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Chinchilli
Participant
Private Message
Message 20 of 24

The socket is a non NTE

I have a landline phone plugged into the socket but removing it does not allow me to connect 

0 Likes