cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Repeated connection drops

Ricky4Eyes
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 10 of 10

Hi,

On several occasions yesterday and today my internet connection has dropped for periods of around 3-4 minutes. The router flashes orange during this period.

In what is maybe a separate issue, over the past few weeks I've also had to switch my DNS options from manual to automatic or back again because I couldn't connect on both my phone and PC. It works again for a few weeks and then I have to switch it back again from automatic to manual or vice versa.

Thanks

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this and I will take a look now. I've run a test on the line which is clear so I've optimised the connection now. Please let us know how the stability compares over the next 24hrs.

Thanks

0 Likes

Ricky4Eyes
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 2 of 10

Hi,

I am once again having the issue with connection drops and the router flashing orange for 3-4 mins. It is happening frequently and has dropped 4-5 times in the last hour, and intermittently over the last few days.

Thanks

Richard

0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

Hi Ricky4Eyes

Thank you, please let us know how you get on.

Debbie 🙂

0 Likes

Message 4 of 10

Thanks for the prompt response Debbie, I will do as suggested.

Message 5 of 10

Hi Ricky4Eyes

I'm sorry to hear this.

I can see that the SNR is dropping low and this can affect the stability and performance of the connection.

I have reset the data port and optimised your connection and the SNR has increased.

Please can you monitor the connection over the next 24hrs and let us know how it compares?

Thanks

Debbie

Message 6 of 10

Yep, I'm comfortable with accessing the router settings and my setup is simple.

As you say, will wait til tomorrow for some staff input.

Appreciate your help.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 7 of 10

If you are comfortable with logging into the router and changing a setting then you may well be able to stop the DNS issue from happening, but it is only a good idea to try this if you have a fairly simple home setup (i.e. just devices that need to access the internet), if you have devices that need to talk to each other and rely on your router to provide local DNS for the devices to find each other, then trying this workaround is probably not appropriate, as it may stop those devices from being able to see each other.

If you did want to try changing settings on your router then let me know and I'll post the details, you can easily undo the change if necessary.

However, it may be best to let the staff here take a look at the other issue first, as if they suspect an issue with your router they may suggest trying a replacement anyway.

Ricky4Eyes
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 8 of 10

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I do have the Sagemcom hub so that may be the same issue. At least that problem is solvable temporarily by switching DNS.

My line connection test showed no issues. I don't have a landline to test, or a test socket. 

Thanks again

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 9 of 10

Hi @Ricky4Eyes,

If you have the Sagemcom Wi-Fi Hub then the DNS problem may well be related to a known issue with that routers firmware, there is a new firmware release on the way that will resolve this, but the rollout is currently paused whilst TalkTalk make a further small change.

If the router is actually dropping connection then that is likely to be a separate issue. It would be worth going to the Service Centre to run a connection test on your line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault affecting your service. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

If your master phone socket has a test socket then you could also try the router in there, that would then eliminate any of the phone wiring in your home as being a possible cause of the problem.

The TalkTalk staff on this community will be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.