cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Router Crashes/Resets When Connecting Laptop

kirstyread
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 9 of 9

Hello all,

We are having a problem with our TalkTalk router.  Whenever I try to connect my laptop, the router crashes/resets itself leaving the power light on red and all other lights extinguished.  The laptop will work through the router when connected remotely via a TP-Link WiFi extender.  The same laptop works flawlessly with every other router it has ever been connected to in multiple different locations from different providers.

Additionally, there is poor connectivity throughout the house.

Finally, the settings area of the router cannot be accessed using 192.168.1.1 because the admin username/password on the back of the router does not work.

The router is about 3 years old now.

I have done a factory reset of the router on a number of occasions by pushing in the reset button for 10 seconds but this has not reset the admin username/password, nor has it sorted out the crashing issue.

Can anyone suggest anything?  TalkTalk live chat has been painful and very unhelpful.  They appear to be reading from a script and simply don't comprehend the nature of the issue being experienced, nor do they appear to understand the difference between the wifi password and the admin username/password for accessing the router settings page.  How do I go about getting a new router sent out to us?  We have a D-LINK DSL 3782 router.

Thanks.

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Hi kirstyread,

Glad to hear the new router has resolved the problem and thanks for your kind comments regarding the support you've received on the Community 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 9

Hello all.  An update to the issue as promised.  The new router has solved the problem entirely and does not crash when my laptop or any other device is connected to it.  Occasionally, the router's connection to the internet drops or seems a little slow/unstable.  I imagine that is likely to be a line issue rather than a problem with the new hardware.

I would just like to add that this customer services experience has been really good.  Trying to deal with the live chat was a very painful experience and it was clear they did not understand the nature of the problem I was experiencing and were simply trying to deal with the situation by reading from a script.  The community here is great and you have been very helpful Debbie in resolving a problem that otherwise would have resulted in me cancelling the service and going to another provider.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

Hi kirstyread

No problem 🙂

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 9

Thank you, Debbie.  That is much appreciated and great customer service.  It is a shame that I wasted so much time trying to deal with live chat before posting here(!).

I will respond again here once the router has arrived and I have been able to test it.  The post might then serve some use for anyone else experiencing the same issue 🙂

Thank you, and thanks once again Skynet for your suggestions.

Message 5 of 9

Hi kirstyread

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I have ordered you a different router for testing.

Please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive. Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 6 of 9

As you are having multiple issues with the router, and this is quite an old model of router, the staff here may just suggest that they send you a replacement router of a newer model, they should be able to respond early in the week to help.

Message 7 of 9

Hello Skynet.  Thank you for your reply.  I have now updated my profile to include that information.

Thank you for suggesting a factory reset.  Unfortunately, I have attempted a factory reset already on a number of occasions.  Bizarrely, it has not reset the admin username/password and I still cannot login at 192.168.1.1 using the details on the back of the router (I am trying to use the admin details, not the usual wifi password, just in case someone suggests that! ha).  I'll try to update the original post to include that information.

Hopefully a staff member will respond on Monday as you say 🙂

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 8 of 9

Hi @kirstyread,

Have you tried doing a factory reset of the router by holding in the reset switch on the back for over 10 seconds, just to see if that helps at all, at the very least that should then mean the router username and password should then work. However note that this would lose any settings you may have ever changed in the router.

The staff here on the community will be able to help, if they did think there was an issue with your router they could arrange a replacement for you.

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile (only you and the TalkTalk staff on this community can see your profile details).

The staff here won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help.