cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Slow download speed

GardenMike
Team Player
Private Message
Message 31 of 31

Hi - can you help please.

Almost every day I get download speeds of less than 1Mbps via wifi and wired connection until I restart the router, then I immediately get around 20 Mbps.

The Service Centre reports router speeds of 30Mbps on the daily checks.

Can someone advise what to do.

Thanks

Mike

30 REPLIES 30

Message 1 of 31

Morning,

I've re-run the line test now which is clear and the connection looks stable. How have you found the overall performance of the connection? If the connection is ok at the test socket then this could suggest a potential issue with the faceplate or any internal wiring connected to the line.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 31

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk - the line stability seems good still.  Can you run a line test and check the connection stats to confirm that you think it is good too.    I still have the filter plugged into the test socket, does this mean that I need to replace the master socket ?

Thanks for your help

Mike

0 Likes

Message 3 of 31

Morning,

I'm glad to hear this and thanks for the update. I've re-checked the connection stats now and the sync speed and the stability both look very consistent for the last 5 days.

Thanks 🙂

0 Likes

Message 4 of 31

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk , the line has been stable since the filter was plugged in and speed has been consistent.  A line test and check of the connection stats would be great.

Mike

0 Likes

Message 5 of 31

Hi Mike

How are you getting on? Would you like me to run a line test and check the connection stats?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 31

Hi Mike

Ok no problem. I will check in again with you before Friday.

Thanks again.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 31

Thanks for checking in - I haven’t been using it as actively today as previous days.  I will know more in about 24 hours, but so far there have been no problems.   

Mike

Message 8 of 31

Hi GardenMike

How's the connection been since yesterday? (with router at the test socket)

0 Likes

Message 9 of 31

Hi GardenMike

Thank you. I will check in with you again on Wednesday afternoon to see how the connection has been.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 10 of 31

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

Yes, no problem - it doesn't seem to affect the internet or phone.

Message 11 of 31

Hi GardenMike

Thanks for your reply. Yes that is the test socket.

Would it be ok to leave the router and filter at the test socket for at least 48hrs?

0 Likes

Message 12 of 31

GardenMike_0-1673358194694.png

GardenMike
Team Player
Private Message
Message 13 of 31

It looks like NTE 5C MK 4 is the right one

Message 15 of 31

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk  - I have opened the master socket and it doesn't have a test port.  But I have added the microfilter to it while the cover is removed - will this have the same effect ?

0 Likes

Message 16 of 31

Hello,

Thanks for confirming. Would it be possible to connect the microfilter, router and phone at the test socket so we can see how the connection stats compares please? Does the speed always drop at the same time?

Thanks

Message 17 of 31

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk , I have a Openreach Master Socket 5C which I *think* has a test socket.

When the line speed drops to <1Mb I check it also by checking the device that is wired by ethernet to the router to make sure that it isn't wifi that is causing the slow speed.  Then just power cycling the router brings the speed back to around 20Mb straight away.

Are there any other troubleshooting steps that you'd like me to do when the speed drops ?

Mike

0 Likes

Message 18 of 31

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see that the sync speed has dropped. Does your main socket have a test socket please?

Thanks

0 Likes

GardenMike
Team Player
Private Message
Message 19 of 31

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk and @Debbie-TalkTalk 

The connection has just dropped to <1Mb again now.  What could be the next troubleshooting steps ?

0 Likes

Message 20 of 31
0 Likes