cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Weird behavior from this morning

Qwghlm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 35 of 35

Tried to open Chrome with Google as home page this morning, but got a "This site can't be reached"

Also cannot load Amazon, eBay, same with my local library page, MobileRead forum etc. 

I cannot open anything with Chrome.

Tried Edge and everything works, can download Amazon, eBay etc. etc.

I also use Thunderbird as an email client, and that isn't loading any new emails either, and doesn't even let me know it can't download them.

I've run a full scan using my virus checker and it's found nothing under malware or system.

0 Likes
34 REPLIES 34

Message 1 of 35

Hi Qwghlm,

Glad to hear that you managed to resolve the issue

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 35

It's been a PITA and it was just lucky that Thunderbird threw up that new error code.

Evidently it's Firefox error code, but it something to do with the sites certificates and KAV just stopped anything downloading.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 35

Whilst I have never used Kaspersky, I am very satisfied with Bitdefender. Well done for sorting it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Qwghlm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 35

OK then,

​I just tried to run Malewarebytes again in Safe Mode, still no malware

Restarted Win 11 and tried my Thunderbird client and it came up with a new error code pr_connect_reset_error

Having googled it, it appears that it's connected to the antivirus throwing a wobbler, so even though I had paused protection and nothing worked I uninstalled it completely, and everything now works.

So I've decided to leave Kaspersky and go with Bitdefender.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 35

Dodgy PCUs can cause all sorts of problems, but I doubt if they would cause such specific issues as you have.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Qwghlm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 35

It has been recommended elsewhere that as my PSU is over 10 years old it may be that causing the problem.

Is this really a possibility?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 35

Yes I know, I have done this many times over the years with nearly all versions of Windows.

Will it definitely cure your problem, it is your PC, not mine, so no guarantees at all I am afraid.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 8 of 35

Then I'd have to reinstall every software program I use, bit of a nightmare.

Will that definitely cure the problem?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 35

Personally, if it was me, I would do a clean installation of Windows....

Keith

0 Likes

Message 10 of 35

Restored to 27/04/2024 didn't help

0 Likes

Message 11 of 35

I have a restore point, but it didn't help.

Also downloaded the latest Win 11 update, no difference, (after I reloaded the last restore point).

Even though I had two Chrome icons, there was always just the one Edge icon no matter how many windows I had.

I could always try to go even further back.

Qwghlm_0-1714819847164.png

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 35

Those two icons may be different instances of Chrome, but this will depend on the "Never Combine" taskbar settings:-

Settings > Personalisation > Taskbar > Taskbar Behaviours

When you hover over each one, does that give you any clues as to why there are two of them?

Trying to err away from saying reinstall Windows, have you got any System Restore points from before this started happening?

Keith

0 Likes

Qwghlm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 35

Just a summary

System started playing up very strangely a couple of days ago.

Chrome will no longer download any pages, my email client Thunderbird will not download or send any emails, my Steam account cannot connect to the server, I cannot connect to the Discord server.

Thunderbird states

"Sending of the message failed.

The message could not be sent because connecting to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.talktalk.net failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your Outgoing server (SMTP) settings are correct and try again."

All outgoing server setting are correct and haven't been changed.

I can use Edge to download any webpages

Tried to download Brave to see if that worked as well as Edge, but can't connect to the internet to download it, even though Edge is working

I can run Elite Dangerous Odyssey, so it connects to that server OK even though it will not connect to the Steam server.

Using Edge I can get into Facebook and and everything else on the internet.

Tried to install Outlook to see if that worked, but when I click on "Open" it says "Hmmmm... can't reach this page"

I have asked elsewhere and have

uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome and Thunderbird
reset DNS under system
used admin command prompt to run a load of DNS commands suggested by other websites
used Malwarebytes in safe mode and quarantined anything that it came up with
installed all the latest drivers
tried Ethernet and Wi-Fi

My Win 11 laptop using the same router and Wi-Fi has no problem using Chrome at all.

0 Likes

Qwghlm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 35

Just tried to use Chrome on my Win 11 laptop, I'm able to log into m y account and Chrome downloads pages just fine.

The laptop uses the same WiFi and router as my PC, having switched from ethernet to WiFi on my PC to see if that made a difference, (it didn't)

Also I've noticed on the taskbar when I open Chrome I get two icons, I do not remember that happening before

Qwghlm_0-1714790624608.png

0 Likes

Message 15 of 35

Unplugged ethernet, connected using WiFi, still the same

0 Likes

Message 16 of 35

Are you able to test with it connected by wi-fi just to see if it makes any difference

Chris

0 Likes

Message 17 of 35

Ethernet cable, WiFi switched off on pC

0 Likes

Message 18 of 35

Ok, thanks for trying that. How does the PC connect to the router, Ethernet cable or wi-fi?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 19 of 35

Yep tried that, tried resetting Chrome, went through a load of commands as admin in command prompt to reset the DNS etc.

Downloaded the latest LAN drivers from Gigabyte

Edge still works, thankfully, but can't access the Steam servers.

I also tried to download Brave, but couldn't.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 35

OK, thanks for trying that. Have you tried restarting the PC rather than just shutting it down? If not then I think it's worth a try

Chris

0 Likes