cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Correct e-mail settings for onetel accounts

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Private Message TalkTalk

Message 71 of 71

Hello Gondola. I guess it is OK to but in on this topic now there are no more replies but I have a similar problem. Suddenly I can longer send emails using my onetel email address because I get messages saying that the SMTP server is unavailable (I wonder why) and I have had no notification from Talktalk that the email settings have changed. From what I have read above, my settings are correct. I am using Mac Mail. 

I am afraid I can get no sense using the Chat line and I am unable to contact Talktalk. I know it's a long shot but can you offer any ideas please? Regards. Brian.

0 Likes
70 REPLIES 70

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 71

Hello Ady. I think I should tell you this on a private message as out was someone very senior.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 71

Hi brbrown, who told you that? Feel free to PM me with details. I'll then report them to their manager so that they can be retrained. 

To provide a little more accurate information. All the TalkTalk email domains with include Onetel domains are on the same platform and are effectively the same. All domains wether its TalkTalk.net, UKgateway, Screaming.net or Onetel are handled the same way by the Admins, the servers, our mail provider and support staff. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 3 of 71

There is no logical reason for anyone to have problems accessing mailboxes with Onetel email addresses. All TalkTalk mailboxes regardless of the email address work with an up to date browser just with the email address and password and the exact same server settings for email apps whether that's for a talktalk.net mailbox a tiscali.co.uk mailbox or an onetel.net / onetel.com / oneteldsl.net mailbox. 

If any domain was at risk of being shut down then I'm sure we would get a briefing because onetel mailboxes are no different to talktalk.net mailboxes.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 71

Hello, for any one still having problems with Onetel email service, I have been told by Talktalk that they are gradually shutting down the Onetel email service. It will no longer be available.

0 Likes

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 71

Hello again Ady. I was originally told by a  Talktalk email on 14th August, that they were making improvements at their server (which has caused me to loose use of my Onetel email service) which would be completed within 10 days and they would notify me on completion. It is now 26 days since then and still no reply. I have tried to contact Talktalk but am unable to get a reply. Would you happen to know what the situation is please?

0 Likes

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 71

Thanks Gondola. I had already tried that several times before to no avail but just tried again and after several tries, got it to work. It's very erratic. Hopefully it will settled down. soon.Thanks again.

Message 7 of 71

The big blue button marked New email is top left.

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 71

I have not had any contact from Talktalk yet to say that all server work is finished but I notice there are changes on the webmail account. There is no longer any way I can compose an email. I have clicked every button I can see  but there is no Compose button as there used to be. Anyone any idea please?

0 Likes

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 71

Ady, I forgot to add, every time I try to send, I get a message saying "Invalid credentials"

0 Likes

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 71

Hello Ady. With both. 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 71

Is that with  webmail or with a TLS1.2 capable mail client?

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 71

Yes Ady, understood but I still can't send emails using my onetel address. The Talktalk.net mail server does not appear to authenticate onetel emails. Perhaps this will change when Talktalk come  back online.

Thank you both for your help.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 71

Hi brbrown, I'll just reiterate that the advice provided by Gondola is spot on.

Ady

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 71

Thanks for that Gondola but I am still puzzled why the Talktalk outgoing mail server will not let me enter my Full Account Email Address in the Account section. Perhaps it doesn't make any difference.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 71

Good to know webmail works for both your talktalk and onetel email addresses. Perhaps you should stick with webmail? Just a suggestion.

I repeat the answers given previously. TalkTalk and I have given you the talktalk.net server settings for your Mac because there are no "onetel server settings". Your idea that you have to use "onetel server settings" for onetel emails is not the way forward. The talktalk.net mail servers will authenticate onetel emails using the onetel email address as Username with the onetel password.

Ady told you on 19 July that the settings I've given you are correct and are the only settings to use. TalkTalk say the same. Wait for TalkTalk Support / Ady to come online next week.

0 Likes

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 71

So why should Talktalk guide me to the Talktalk settings which conflict with what I already have and works? and are you saying that I should delete my Onetel email account and start again? If so, what settings do I use. The ones Talktalk have issued are dedicated to my Talktalk emails not Onetel.

I have just found that I can now use both my Talktalk and Onetel email addresses using my web mail but not with my Macmail.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 71

The email is an advance notification of the upgrade of your mailbox to the TalkTalk Mail OX Cloud 8 platform.  The main changes are for webmail but there are improvements to the synchronising of Address Book and Calendars across devices.

You're setting up a onetel account on a Mac computer according to the instructions you've shown. I think you do need to delete the onetel account from the Mac and set up that account manually following the instructions.

The issue appears to be that you are trying to use the same outgoing SMTP server that's set up on the Mac for your talktalk.net email account. That outgoing SMTP server will work only for the talktalk.net account because it authenticates the sending using the talktalk.net email address and password.

For the onetel account to work it must have its own outgoing SMTP server that authenticates the sending using the onetel email address and password.

0 Likes

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 71

Gondola, I am afraid I am now completely confused. I have tried copying Talktalk's email, see below with resulting errors. Attached below is also the email settings I was guided to in a roundabout way. When I tried to redo the account settings, the Outgoing Mail Server Account asked me for my full email address but it would not let me type it in because there was a drop down option set at Talktalk which I could not alter. Should I perhaps delete the existing account and then add a new one using the same settings? It just does not make any sense to me.

Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 08.04.51.png
0 Likes

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 71

Hi,

We have exciting news about some major improvements coming to TalkTalk Mail. We'll soon be adding some new features including a modern look and feel, to help you manage your emails more easily, such as:
  • Improved ways to search your mailbox.
  • Easily navigate between apps (e.g. Mail, Calendar, Address Book, Tasks) and other devices (e.g. Mobile Phone, Tablet).
  • Enhanced security features for more powerful spam and virus protection.
Here's a sneak preview of what’s to come*.
Getting started with webmail video
This update is happening within the next 10 days and the great news is you don’t have to do anything. Once you have been updated, we’ll send you another email to help you start using these exciting new features so keep an eye out on your inbox for further details.
If you’d like more information, please see our Email Upgrade FAQ here.

Your TalkTalk Team

Please do not reply to this email, emails are not monitored.
We’re sending you this email because it contains important information about your TalkTalk service.
*Please be aware that your mail experience may slightly differ.
© TalkTalk Telecom Limited, Soapworks, Ordsall Lane, Salford, M5 3TT
Registered in England & Wales No. 4633015.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 71

Copy the email from TalkTalk here redacting any personally identifiable information.

That will show us what TalkTalk are asking you to do.  Then explain clearly what you are trying to do, preferably with screenshots.

And for the final ever time, I hope, there are no different settings for onetel. In setting up either a secondary email account in webmail or in an email client for onetel you use the full onetel email address and onetel password and the exact same server settings as TalkTalk ask you to use for any TalkTalk Mail domain including onetel.com.

Settings have been given in this topic for onetel so do please go back and review those posts.

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help
Using TalkTalk Mail

Email settings and device setup guides for TalkTalk Mail

0 Likes