cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Email password not recognised and cannot get email

Flatpak33
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 19 of 19

Hi Talktalk - Today my email password was not recognised. Last week I had an email saying my settings were not up to date. Today I updated the settings (SSL on etc). However I still cannot get email. I suspect the account has been disabled. Please help to reset my email account.

Thanks.

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18

Message 1 of 19

Perfect outcome and the benefit of secure email.

We do appreciate your time in letting us know. Thank you.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Flatpak33
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 2 of 19

Hi Ady and Gondola my email is working again. Got a flood of emails on iPhone and MacBook it was really cool! Thanks for getting me back up and running and being an awesome support team. You dug me out of a hole, plus now I know how to use webmail if needed. Fp33.

Message 3 of 19

Hi Flatpak33, the 48 hours is almost up but I've seen a few today that haven't been restored in the 48 hours. I've sent chasers already. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Flatpak33
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 4 of 19

Hello Gondola - that would be great! Many thanks for the help!!

Fp33.

Message 5 of 19

Hi Flatpak33 

Your settings were perfectly good on both MAC and iPhone and therefore if TalkTalk had restored full access as requested both devices would authenticate the IMAP4 / POP3 connection to the mailbox.

A continued fail to authenticate suggests that full access was not restored on either 21 or 22 February. I'll push a reminder into the TalkTalk workflow.

Flatpak33
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 6 of 19

Hi Ady and Gondola - I still cannot access email on iPhone and Mac using the clients. Password is not recognised. Has my account been reinstated?

Thanks!

Message 7 of 19

You're very welcome. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Flatpak33
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 8 of 19

Hi Ady - that is awesome and thanks very much! I'll check for emails later.

Message 9 of 19

Hi Flatpak33, I've added your mailbox to the list of those to be restored.

Ady

Flatpak33
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 10 of 19

Hi Gondola - thanks for submitting the request to talktalk support. I will check in a few hours time or tomorrow morning.

Great support!

Flatpak33
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 11 of 19

Thanks again for the helpful advice! I'll check that POP3 is not deleting downloaded messages from the server. 

Message 12 of 19

The MacBook secure mail setup is perfect.

Yes, if the POP3 mail collection works for you then no worries. As I mentioned, it would be normal to set the POP3 account to Never delete from the server. That means the mail messages from the Inbox only are downloaded to the POP3 device but not deleted from the online Inbox so the IMAP account(s) can still see those messages. The IMAP accounts also have access to all the other standard folders in the mailbox.  What those IMAP accounts will not see is any mail sent from the POP3 account. But as long as this setup suits you then it won't present a problem.

Flatpak33
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 13 of 19

Hello Gondola - Here are the MacBook (Monterey OS) email settings:

Incoming mail server (POP)

Username: (my email address)

Host Name: mail.talktalk.net

Port: 995

TLS/SSL selected

Authentiation: Password

Outgoing mail server (SMTP)

Account: (my email address)

Host Name: smtp.talktalk.net

Port: 587

TLS/SSL selected

Do you need more information?

I reread your post about POP/IMAP. Presumably it is ok to have one client using IMAP and another one on a different device using POP. I have been doing that for years without issue.

Thanks again!

Message 14 of 19

The MacBook is capable of secure mail. No reason why you cannot continue with a POP3 account on the Mac. The incoming port is 995 for POP3 secure. Users having a mix of devices, some with IMAP accounts that view all mail folders online and POP3 accounts that download just from the Inbox would normally have the POP3 accounts set to 'never delete from the server'. This is important so that the IMAP accounts can see the mail in the online Inbox.

The iPhone SMTP outgoing server:

Use SSL ON

Authentication: Password

Server Port 587

On the basis that you've got the details of secure settings and seem to be ok. I'll request TalkTalk Support restore full access and you'll receive a response right here and access will be back usually within 24 hours.

Message 15 of 19

The MacBook OS is Monterey 12.6.2.

It seems IMAP/POP3 needs sorting out. The iPhone 11 has incoming mail settings as IMAP. The MacBook has incoming mail set to POP (outgoing is SMTP). I have been getting email on both POP and IMAP. 

More iPhone settings:

Incoming:

Host name: mail.talktalk.net

Use SSL is on (green showing)

Authentication: Password

IMAP Path Prefix /

Server Port 993.

Outgoing:

SMTP:  smtp.talktalk.net

What must I do next?

Thanks for helping!

0 Likes

Message 16 of 19

You can post device details here. None of that detail affects your personal data or security.

iPhone 11 supports secure mail. What OS is the Mac running? Only MacOS 10.12 Sierra or later are capable of supporting secure mail to the required TLS 1.2 encryption. You should cease using Email on a device running anything earlier than MacOS 10.12.

You mention POP and IMAP. Bear in mind that an email account is set up as either as a POP or IMAP account and account settings are not interchangeable.  For incoming mail POP3 secure mail uses port 995. IMAP secure uses port 993. TalkTalk recommend IMAP so will suggest port 993. But you cannot change an existing POP3 account on a device to an IMAP account. Just say if you need more guidance on this aspect.

I'll provide guides below to assist in checking the secure settings.

Setting up TalkTalk email on a Mac PC using Mac Mail

Setting up TalkTalk email on iPhone

Flatpak33
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 17 of 19

Hi Gondola thanks for the quick response. I have started updating my Community Profile. The devices are iPhone 11 and Mac both using the native clients with POP3 and IMAP. I can give more details if needed. Where should I post full details? In this forum? 

Thanks,

Flatpak33

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 19

Hi Flatpak33 

You may keep in touch via webmail as that will remain working until TalkTalk Support restore IMAP access.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full TalkTalk Mail email address and password, select Sign in.

You received a message from TalkTalk advising "Our records show that you are still accessing your email using unencrypted email settings, because of this, from 17th February you will no longer be able to receive or send emails via this email app or software".

This means one or more devices were using insecure settings and because previous notifications to update the settings were not followed the last resort action by TalkTalk was to stop the use of insecure mail by removing IMAP access leaving just webmail access.

So the offer is here to help you update the settings correctly on all devices making a connection to the mailbox. To start with I'd like to check compatibility with secure mail. Please therefore let me know, for all devices connecting to the mailbox, the device model, the operating system version, the email software and the email version and whether the email account is a POP3 or IMAP email account. e.g. Windows PC, Windows 10, Thunderbird 102.8, IMAP account etc.

And then to check that you have accounted for all devices and software that could be making a connection to the mailbox. Any mail collection service,  desktop, laptop, notebook, tablet, phone? All devices and services must now use secure settings.

I'll provide individual guides to assist when I know what device or devices you use to view mail messages. As soon as it's clear that secure settings are available and in hand I can request TalkTalk Support to restore full access. NB the email apps will not authenticate a password until full access is restored.

Prepare for TalkTalk Support - include in the Community Profile (not in these public posts):

Account holder name, TalkTalk home 'phone number (if not Data Only broadband)

Alternative mobile contact number. Full address with postcode (in the Location box)

Scroll down to Private notes to add the email address and customer account number

Check and Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help

Email settings and device setup guides for TalkTalk Mail