cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Email settings - urgent clarification please

davep
Insightful One
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 13

received a message from TT saying essentially please update your settings by 23rd February 2023, as using the incorrect settings will cause issues sending and receiving emails.

I still have WLM on my computer, but haven't accessed it in past few weeks.  I have lots of historical emails I want to keep and haven't managed to migrate them.

If I remove  my accounts from WLM will this mean I comply with TT's "rules", as it will no longer serve as a client, and can keep emails there for future reference. 

I sadly opened Thunderbird client accounts.  Nowhere near as good as WLM (but what is), but admittedly better than latest offering from MS.  I believe all other email clients are set up to new security settings

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

@Ady-TalkTalk   I really wish I could understand all this.  WLM and Thunderbird clients are set to POP3.  I have my reasons for this.

Not sure what my Android tablet is.  My iphone and wife's ipad both use IMAP.

I have this morning received emails on iphone ipad and Thunderbird.  I have not looked on android and have not opened WLM.    I

You say "You will get the password error as IMAP access has been removed for your mailbox. "  Is that for WLM alone, or does it mean if I open WLM on my laptop I will lose all except TT webmail until I should ask you to re-instate?

My issue is I don't want to lose historical and ongoing emails.  Most are admittedly saved on an old outlook set up by my son with no log in.  Don't know how he did that.  I have that set for my and wife's email accounts but will need to remove those.

Sorry this is going on.  I really don't want to have to use webmail as it is a pain logging in (and using). 

Note:  all the client accounts have been set to the correct SSL / TSL etc settings as appropriate, including WLM which I understand will not work.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13

Hi davep, you'll be able to use WLM for whatever mail domain you want as long as it isn't TalkTalk mail. You will get the password error as IMAP access has been removed for your mailbox. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 13

I presume requiring password in WLM will prevent such sendings and receivings.   Can I simply change the log on or remove the saved password?

I was pwned some time ago and have new passwords since then.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 13

And to follow up the official response from TalkTalk to cease using WLM.

Users of Windows Live Mail (WLM) were among those targeted and many email addresses confirmed and passwords compromised in 2017 by Onliner Spambot. I advise you to check your email addresses at haveIbeenpwned.com and if that turns red when you enter your email address you should take all necessary security measures including scanning all your devices for viruses, trojans and other malware as well as ceasing to use WLM online because it's an ongoing security risk.

You should change and upgrade your email passwords and only update the passwords for webmail and Thunderbird. Do not touch WLM.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 5 of 13

The simple answer is from a TalkTalk mail point of view you can't use WLM for sending and receiving email. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 6 of 13

@Ady-TalkTalk 

sorry about this, but just to clarify:  not sure I fully understand what I can and can't do with my WLM.

Will I be able to look at my WLM without any loss of service?  Both accounts are set to the required for security but will presumably not send from WLM?   

When I open WLM at present it still receives emails.  Will it do that in future without loss of service? 

Hopefully I am complying with TT's rules.

Note:  I shouldn't say this, but I don't think I've ever been compromised.  TALKTALK definitely has on more than one occasion.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 13

Hi davep, you won't be able to use TT mail in WLM anymore. You'll only have access via secure mail clients or webmail. 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 8 of 13

I've received messages in WLM, and can send from wife's talktalk.net account and receive in my tiscali WLM a/c.

Not that important as I'm only rarely likely to open WLM, just don't want the hassle of having things re-set as I've seen some needing.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 13

If you're using WLM you won't be able to use the secure settings. Thunderbird will work correctly with the secure settings. 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 10 of 13

@Ady-TalkTalk Thanks for the reply.

I have put in the "secure settings" on Windows Live Mail, but I thought that was no longer allowed by TT as it is out of date.  Was I, and many others, wrongly informed?  As I recall WLM did not work properly with settings 995 / 587 and SSL for my @tiscali.co.uk, which I have now re-set, though it maybe did on wife's @talktalk.net.

I've move old emails into storage folder in WLM on my PC and also altered the settings as above.  Hopefully should I need to go back to those I won't get cut off.  If I do that on my laptop which is my usual equipment and hence more regularly used for retrieving older emails will that be necessary or can I just leave it as it is with the SSL?  Hope that makes some kind of sense.  As I remember I couldn't send with those settings, but did receive emails.

I was told WLM would stop working in October but it hasn't so far.

Hope some of that makes sense.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 13

Hi davep, as long as you've followed the secure settings you'll be fine.

Ady

0 Likes

davep
Insightful One
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 13

@Ady-TalkTalk  could you have a look at this and let me know before I get cut off?

Thanks

0 Likes