cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Emails and folders gone missing

Fearlessleader53
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 7

My account has several email addresses. On one of them (using a tiscali account  on Outlook Windows 10 AND Kindle native mail) stopped receiving and sending emails two weeks ago (the Kindle stopped two days ago).  The web app works fine. Outlook (and Thunderbird work fine on my tiscali account on Window 11)) We have tried all the settings recommended in help and community advice and these have made no difference. This morning we have found that the most important email folder (and some smaller ones) and all their emails have disappeared completely from both  the web version and Outlook (we even tried Thunderbird this seems to have downloaded the folders which still exist from the tiscali account with email headings but no content. Urgent help needed as this has gone on for 2 weeks and others have had the same problem (I noticed one in March last year. With this you restored the missing folders and cleared the problem.)

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Fearlessleader53
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 7

All done as requested. Account opened fine in Thunderbird, folders and mail headers present. But when opened the email body is still blank and a message appears ....server may have disconnected...

Still the same as previously. Web mail is still fine. What now? Thanks. 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 7

The message you sent to yourself remained in the Inbox?

If so, what I'd like you to do now is upgrade the password for the tiscali email account that we're working with.  The Reset password now button in the help article  Changing your email password will take you to password reset and recovery. 

If you have set up password recovery options, in advance, that you recognise from the *****hints, then you can send your alternate email address a link or your mobile a 6-digit code to authorise a password reset.

Now delete the tiscali email account from Thunderbird, close down Thunderbird to complete the deletion and then add the tiscali email account to Thunderbird. 

• Launch Thunderbird
  • Select the Thunderbird Menu (triple lines top right)
  • Select the menu item Account Settings
  • Select Account Actions in the lower left pane
  • Select Add Mail Account
    A window will open
  • Enter your name as you'd like it to appear to email recipients
    Enter your TalkTalk Email address and the new upgraded Password
    Select the eye icon to remove the strike through and view the password
    Remember password should remain ticked
  • Select Manual Configuration
  • Enter the settings as shown below
    Username is your full tiscali email address
  • Select Done to check and create the IMAP account

IMAP : tiscali.co.ukIMAP : tiscali.co.uk

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 3 of 7

That's fine.

Self-sent email was fine, arrived in inbox, still in sent, and message is readable on web app.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 7

I don't want to start on Thunderbird before finishing with webmail.

You say the self send email was put into the Sent folder. Did that same email arrive in the Inbox and is it still in the Inbox?

When you select that message from the Inbox does it show the message content?

0 Likes

Fearlessleader53
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for prompt reply.

Checked as requested on webmail (though this has never been a problem)

Nothing diverted to Spam and Trash.

No  Auto forward filter rules in place. Only one blocked rule and this now removed

Self send message delivered and in sent box

In Thunderbird incoming emails arrive with heading (sender and subject) but when opened there is no content there.

Outgoing mails sent via Webmail show in Thunderbird sent folder but when opened similarly show no content.

When attempting to open emails (to view - nonexistent - content) Thunderbird produces a message: Server mail.talktalk.net has disconnected. The server may have gone down or there may be a network problem. [This also happened when we used imap.tiscali.co.uk]

Although the Kindle was sending and receiving emails two weeks ago, for the last 3 days this has just reported a connection error from the tiscali account.

When we installed Thunderbird this morning it reported a Certificate error which we didn't make a note of. 

Hope this helps you solve the problem.

Regards

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 7

You have several TalkTalk Mail accounts but one of them is not working as expected. So, from here on I just want to know about the tiscali email account that's not working on the Windows 10 device.

Using the Windows 10 device and an up to date Internet browser (Edge, Chrome or Firefox) I'd like you to sign in to TalkTalk Mail webmail and check that the account is sending and receiving mail.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your tiscali email address and tiscali password, select Sign in.

Check the  Inbox first and then check  Spam and  Trash folders for mail messages that may have been diverted from the Inbox. Bear in mind the spam and trash folders normally contain mail not older than 30 days.

Select the New email button to compose and self-send the same mailbox a mail message. Check that the message sends without error, is copied into the Sent folder and arrives and stays in the Inbox.

Mail not reaching the Inbox could mean there's a Filter rule, including an Auto forward which is a special filter rule, that's diverting, discarding or blocking mail.

• Select the Main settings menu cog icon      top right on the blue header
  • Select All settings
  • Select Mail and scroll down to Rules
    Select the chevron icon > to see all defined Rules
    If there's no rule defined, that's perfect
  • To delete a Filter rule including any Auto forward
    select the X icon to the right of the rule
    The icon background will turn red  X
  • To confirm you really want to delete this Filter rule
    Select the blue Delete button

Let us know of any error message, or if mail did not arrive in the Inbox or disappeared from the Inbox. Collecting mail messages with a POP3 mail account or mail collection service, like Gmail, may be deleting messages from the online Inbox.

0 Likes