cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

My Pipex email on both Windows and Android has stopped working

David4468
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 13 of 13

I've lost my email connection for PIPEX email on both Windows 10(Thunderbird  client) and Android (TypeApp Client).  I was using IMAP and imap.dsl.pipex.com as the server on port 993 but despite setting it to SSL/TLS it says cannot authenticate.  My email account does work via webmail.

Can anyone advise on the correct Pipex settings required, and if my account needs unlocking?

thanks.

12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Nice one.

We do appreciate your time in letting us know. Thank you.

I particularly like that TypeApp (and BlueMail) automatically set up and work out of the box with TalkTalk Mail's talktalk.net email addresses.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

David4468
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 2 of 13

Many thanks to all who have helped on this, it's now working again with those settings on both Windows and Android,

Message 3 of 13

Hi David, I've added the mailbox to the list of those to be restored. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 13

Hi Ady,  thanks for you post, I've now added the pipex email as you requested.

David.

Message 5 of 13

Hi David4468, please add the affected mail address to private notes in your community profile and post back once you have.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 6 of 13

Just to add a note about the TypeApp for Android. Very similar setup to the BlueMail app for Android. Both apps will auto detect and set up a secure IMAP email account when a connection to the server is available. *Tested with a talktalk.net account. May need legacy settings updating to those shown below that are for all TalkTalk Consumer domains.

Typeapp email for Android

• Select Add Account
  • Other Email
  • Enter the Email address and Password
    (The full email address is the Username)
  • Select Automatic (default is Automatic)
    The account settings will be auto-detected* and set up automatically as a secure IMAP email account. Those settings are shown below.

To access Settings for an existing account

• From the Inbox, tap the horizontal triple open dots (top right)
  • Settings
  • Accounts
  • Select the TalkTalk account
  • Select Edit Account
  • Select Incoming/Outgoing Settings

Incoming server settings

• IMAP server: mail.talktalk.net
  • Security: SSL/TLS (check certificate)
  • Authentication: Plain
  • Port 993
    (If the account is a POP3 secure account the port number is 995)

Outgoing server settings

• SMTP server: smtp.talktalk.net
  • Security: STARTTLS (check certificate)
  • Port: 587
  • Tick Require sign-in
  • Authentication: Automatic

Message 7 of 13

That's brilliant, thanks for such clear and straightforward help, very much appreciated.

Message 8 of 13

NB Thunderbird will not authenticate the connection until TalkTalk restore IMAP access.

The incoming and outgoing server settings on Thunderbird are perfect and ready for TalkTalk to restore IMAP access. I've requested that for you. TalkTalk Support will respond right here next week.

Prepare for TalkTalk Support - include in the Community Profile (not in these public posts):

Account holder name, TalkTalk home 'phone number (if not Data Only broadband)

Alternative mobile contact number. Full address with postcode (in the Location box)

Scroll down to Private notes to add the email address and customer account number

Check and Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

Message 9 of 13

IMAP.png

0 Likes

Message 10 of 13

Opps, the IMAP settings are...

IMAP.png
0 Likes

Message 11 of 13

Thanks for the quick and comprehensive reply.  I've tried those settings but no luck. Screenshots are attached.

SMTP.pngSMTP.png
0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 13

Good to know that webmail is working. Webmail is secure by design using an up to date Internet browser.

The continued use of insecure and out of date legacy settings in email software / email apps has resulted in your mailbox being restricted to webmail only access. If you are now ready to use secure settings and devices then those devices will not authenticate the password or connection (password not recognised) until TalkTalk restore full access. But I can see you're still on the long out of date pipex host server names.

What's the Android OS version? Asking to make sure it's capable of secure mail.

Settings for Thunderbird are given below.

On updating the Thunderbird email software Server Settings (incoming mail) and outgoing SMTP server settings, for any active mailbox that does have IMAP / POP3 access, you'll possibly be asked to accept a new certificate (yes, accept) and to enter the email password when using Thunderbird to read or write emails so have the current password ready (when you've set a new password). Tick to remember or save the password before entering it. Each email address needs to have it's own settings and its own outgoing SMTP server because outgoing authentication requires the email account User Name and Password.

User Name is the full email address and Password is the email password.

• Start Thunderbird
  • Select the Thunderbird triple line menu top right
  • Select Account Settings from the menu
  • Select Server Settings under the email account name in the left side panel
  • Use the entries as shown in the table
  • Look down the left side panel to Outgoing Server SMTP
  • Select Edit to update the Outgoing server settings as per the lower entries in the table below - remember to select the correct Outgoing Server for the correct email account.

Thunderbird email client settings for all TalkTalk Mail domains including talktalk, tiscali and their sister pipex email addresses are:

Account Type  IMAP secure Email Account
User Name Full email address
Password Email password
Incoming mail server (IMAP) mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port 993
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Authentication Method Normal Password
Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS
Authentication Method Normal Password

If still in trouble take screenshots, image edit to obscure the first part of your email address and upload here using the camera icon above this Reply area.

Let me know when Thunderbird is back in action for secure email both incoming and outgoing. However, if you happen to have a POP3 account then the only difference to the above table is the incoming server port that's 995 for POP3 secure mail.

After you've changed the settings have another go. NB this is for the email accounts that have not had IMAP / POP3 access withdrawn as yet.

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help

Email settings and device setup guides for TalkTalk Mail

0 Likes