cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

TT602 too many messages bounceback

webbyjones
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 6 of 6

I had an undeliverable messages for two e-mails sent a short while ago.  This was the reason given for both:  Server error: '453 4.1.1 d8xZp69aTuwYY Too many messages (TT602)'

I have only sent a few e-mails in the past 24 hours - not sure how many, but it can't be more than about 10/15 or so.  

I think I might have had Outlook and webmail open at the same time on the same laptop.

I had called Customer Support to check if one could recall messages.  The person I spoke to didn't know what 'recalling' was all about.  She di mention putting a hold/limit/something on the account (I couldn't understand what she said) and I'm sure I asked her not to do that - I don't know if she did/didn't take this action.  She then put me on hold while she went to find out about recalling messages.  

So - here we are.  I'm unable to send e-mails and I need to send something urgently.

Please can someone sort this?

Thanks.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

webbyjones
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 1 of 6

Thank you Gondola.  I'll look at all this and see how it goes.

Message 2 of 6

Outgoing settings are good. Also needed is a tick for My outgoing server requires authentication and I usually recommend login with Username and password where the Username is the full From: or sending email address.

One thing that can trigger spam protection is a weak or suspect compromised password so if you think that may be the case then just as a precaution do change and upgrade the password. This will also have the effect of locking out any unauthorised logins to your mailbox if that was the cause of the system detecting multiple concurrent logins and therefore imposing rate limiting.

I'd recommend setting the Internet Security to default the VPN to a UK host server. That's better than setting to Auto. But when using a VPN it's best not to have any other concurrent connections to the mailbox. For example, Use a VPN on your mobile for security when out of the home but sign out of any mailbox connections from your in-home devices. By sign out I mean sign out of webmail and close Outlook and any other device or mail service connections to the mailbox.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

webbyjones
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 3 of 6

Update.  I've looked at the settings for all my e-mail accounts.

Incoming are:

• imap
  • port 993
  • encryption: SSL/TLS

Outgoing are:

• smtp
  • port 587
  • encryption: STARTTLS

webbyjones
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 4 of 6

Thanks Gondola.  

I eventually established that TT doesn't do recall during my call yesterday.  It is disappointing that someone who is supposed to be supporting on technical stuff didn't know what 'e-mail recall' is.

I looked at the settings and it has the START(etc) setting (forgot to look at the port 🙄).  Got an error (see below) when I said to close (can't remember exact words): 

webbyjones_1-1679060122135.png

Was told everything is up-to-date when I went back to check.  I was unable to get to where the port etc. are located.  

Could you direct me in case I'm doing something wrong?

Also, you said "sign out of all instances of connections to your mailbox".  You mean all e-mail addresses I have webmail?  Or do mean to just close Outlook?

The VPN is set on auto in my security software, but it has the UK as the region.

Apologies for all the questions.  And thanks for such a prompt response.  

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 6

TalkTalk Mail does not offer the recalling of sent mail messages.

The TT602 error message indicates the spam protection system is rate limiting your outgoing messages. Could be because multiple sign ins have been made to your mailbox. Maybe you're using a VPN that has an overseas host server and not a UK host server. Sign out of all instances of connections to your mailbox. If you do use a VPN then make sure it's set to use a UK host server. Some VPN's are bundled with an Internet Security product.  Normally using Outlook to send secure authenticated mail alongside webmail would not be a problem.

Webmail is secure by design but if you are still using insecure settings in Outlook to send mail i.e. port 25 and no STARTTLS command or no outgoing authentication then that would trigger the spam protection system.  Which version of Outlook are you using? Do you need advice on secure settings?

Sign in just to TalkTalk Mail webmail for the time being. It may take 24 hours for the rate limiting to be relaxed so bear that in mind when re-testing.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full TalkTalk Mail email address and password, select Sign in.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution