cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Unable to send, receive email or login

Jessmina
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 12

Since 18/12/23 I've been unable to log into/send/receive email from the email address I use regularly.

The email address connected to my broadband account works perfectly. Each account uses exactly the same settings and are:-

Incoming:  mail.talktalk.net

Security: SSL

Port: 993

Outgoing: SMTP.talktalk.net

Security: TLS

Port 587

Only other security options on my Samsung email app are TLS/SSL accept all

Also tried logging in on tablet, laptop and online, but none of these do this or send/receive email either despite having exactly the same settings. When I check the advanced settings on my email it comes up with a message about incorrect password (which I can't change) or the POP3/ IMAP settings have been turned off.  I don't think the problem is at my end, am I correct in thinking this? Hope someone can help, thank you.

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Hi Jessamina, that's perfect.

I appreciate your time to let us know you're back in control. Thank you.

Happy New Year.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Jessmina
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 12

Hi Ady/ Gondola

Success!

This morning I used the password reset tool and managed to change the password. I'm so relieved and happy to be able to access my emails once more. I'm really grateful to you both for all your help.

Thank you so much, 

Jessmina

Message 3 of 12

You're welcome.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Jessmina
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 12

Hi Ady,

Thank you so much, really appreciate it. Hopefully that will solve the problem and I can create a new password.

Jessmina

Message 5 of 12

Hi Jessmina, I've requested that the Password Reset Tool be updated for you. It will be completed within 24 hours normally. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Jessmina
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 12

Hi Gondola,

I will await a response from TalkTalk support and in the interim prepare those details.

Thank you for all your help so far, I'll keep you posted! 

Jessmina

Message 7 of 12

Hi Jessmina 

The fact that you don't have password recovery Reset details set up means that TalkTalk will need to verify that you are the registered user of the email address in question and set up your nominated alternate email address and mobile phone number. This will happen via Community TalkTalk Support after 2 January.

If your password got reset as a security precaution then the resolution to that is to upgrade the password. But in your case you cannot do that because of the missing Reset details for password recovery. Perhaps this same reason is why some users are unable to change passwords but this was under investigation by TalkTalk and no root cause was being revealed.

A weak password or compromised email account can trigger a password reset or blocking of the mailbox to help secure customer data.

I'll let TalkTalk know that the password recovery options aren't available. A TalkTalk Support member will need to verify you as the registered email user and set up your password recovery alternate email address and mobile number (the Reset details) so you can send a password reset link or code to authenticate a password change.

Prepare for TalkTalk Support - include in the Community Profile (not in these public posts):

Account holder name, TalkTalk home 'phone number (if not Data Only broadband)

Alternative mobile contact number. Full address with postcode (in the Location box)

Scroll down to Private notes to add the email address needing recovery

Check and Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

A TalkTalk Support member will reply to this thread and then Community Private Message you to confirm your customer account details and or details related to the original registration of the email address. Also requested will be the alternate email address and mobile number for password recovery Reset details.

When verified the Reset details will be set up during a working week within 24 hours allowing you to set your own password via the Forgotten your password journey. Make sure the password is ultra-strong and unique to the mailbox. Check via the  TalkTalk Mail sign in that you can access the mailbox.

Let us know if you need more guidance.

Jessmina
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 12

The email concerned hasn't had the password changed before the issue started. I have since worked through the process of trying to change it to be able to log in but it refuses to recognise the original password and only gives me the option to send a code to the inaccessible email and no option for a a phone number. 

I have read on the TalkTalk mail platform that they were aware of customers having problems being able to login from the date in question (18th) and they were looking into this. Which makes me think it's not my end, and I'm going to have to contact the support team later.

Can that be escalated from here or do I do that elsewhere on the platform? 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 12

The failure to sign in or connect coupled with the 'password is incorrect' error message suggests that the correct password has been forgotten or has been changed.  

A change in password would be either for security reasons when suspicious activity has been detected or because the password has been compromised and an unauthorised change has been made.

The Reset password now button in the help article  Changing your email password will take you to password reset and recovery. 

If the email address is still active on the TalkTalk Mail platform and you have set up password recovery options, in advance, that you recognise from the *****hints, then you can send your alternate email address a link or your mobile a 6-digit code to authorise a password reset.

Key question is do you recognise your alternate email address or your mobile from the limited hint shown? If there's no options other than to send the email address itself a link then you'll need TalkTalk Support help to assist with password recovery. That's going to be after 2 January.

Changing the password would normally get you access once more. Let us know if that works because there was an issue for some customers in not being able to change a password. 

Jessmina
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 12

Hi Gondola, 

Thank you for responding.

I've done as you've suggested. The email connected to my broadband account logs in, sends and receives emails fine online(and on my phone)but the other one I have trouble with just comes up with the error, 'password is incorrect'. It's this email that fails to send and receive on my phone too. Both emails have exactly the same settings. 

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 12

The first step in troubleshooting is to check you can sign in to TalkTalk Mail webmail using an up to date Internet browser like Edge, Chrome or Firefox.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full TalkTalk Mail email address, select Continue and enter the password, select Sign in.

If you have multiple TalkTalk Mail accounts then sign out of one before attempting to sign in to the next.

Let me know if you see any error message on sign in or if you cannot successfully for any account select New email and create and send a message to the same mailbox that you've signed in to. You should see the sent message in the Sent folder and then see it arrive in and stay in the Inbox.

0 Likes