cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Unable to use Thunderbird

Johnrtaylor1
First Timer
Private Message
Message 3 of 3

Hi

Up to last Friday (27th January) I used Thunderbird as my email platform and all was fine.

Saturday (28th January) I could not receive mails from your server nor send emails.  I tried many things and eventually spoke with your Customer Services (Christine) yesterday.  She explained that my account had been locked and that I needed to have the Mail Plus account and she set this up for me.  I checked this morning and my account details confirm that this Mail Plus has been set up.

I can still see my mails via your web access but I am still no longer able to access them on Thunderbird.  Christine said that you could help me to unlock the system so I can  “manage” incoming and outgoing mails on the Thunderbird platform.

Can you help please?

John Taylor
0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 3

Hi Johntaylor! I've added you to the list of those mailboxes to be returned to normal working order. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 3

Hi Johntaylor! 

Prepare for TalkTalk Support - include in the Community Profile (not in these public posts):

Account holder name, home 'phone number

Alternative mobile contact number. Full address with postcode (in the Location box)

Scroll down to Private notes to add the customer email address and new MailPlus account number

Check and Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

TalkTalk will notify you in advance of TalkTalk Mail being limited to webmail only access if:

• You're not a TalkTalk Consumer home broadband customer or MailPlus subscriber
    Or the mailbox address is not added to an active customer MyAccount
  • Any device email software, email app, or mail collection service connects to your mailbox using insecure settings
    Secure mail connections to your mailbox must all be made using a minimum of TLS 1.2 encryption security and sign in using the email address and email password
  • There's continued use of out of date email software, operating system or legacy email settings
    We can advise on device and software compatibility and provide customer setup guides

So, the reason for Thunderbird not working is that IMAP / POP3 access was withdrawn due to the use of insecure settings.

Webmail will work to keep you in touch.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full TalkTalk Mail email address and password, select Sign in.

I'll request full access be restored and hopefully you'll have access restored by the weekend. But you will need to update Thunderbird settings as per the table below when access is restored.

On updating the Thunderbird email software Server Settings (incoming mail) and outgoing SMTP server settings, you'll possibly be asked to accept a new certificate (yes, accept) and to enter the email password when using Thunderbird to read or write emails so have the current password ready (when you've set a new password). Tick to remember or save the password before entering it. Each email address needs to have it's own settings and its own outgoing SMTP server because outgoing authentication requires the email account User Name and Password.

User Name is the full email address and Password is the email password.

• Start Thunderbird
  • Select the Thunderbird triple line menu top right
  • Select Account Settings from the menu
  • Select Server Settings under the email account name in the left side panel
  • Use the entries as shown in the table
  • Look down the left side panel to Outgoing Server SMTP
  • Select Edit to update the Outgoing server settings as per the lower entries in the table below - remember to select the correct Outgoing Server for the correct email account.

Thunderbird email client settings for all TalkTalk Mail domains including talktalk and tiscali and their sister email addresses are:

Account Type  IMAP secure Email Account
User Name Full TalkTalk email address
Password TalkTalk email password
Incoming mail server (POP3) mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port 993
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Authentication Method Normal Password
Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS
Authentication Method Normal Password

If still in trouble take screenshots, image edit to obscure the first part of your email address and upload here using the camera icon above this Reply area.

Let me know when Thunderbird is back in action for secure email both incoming and outgoing. However, note that a connection will not be authenticated until TalkTalk have restored IMAP access. If you happen to have a POP3 account then the only change to the above table is the incoming server port that's 995 for POP3 secure mail.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution